UKC

Rained off on my birthday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 04 Apr 2016
Just having a grumble. It's my birthday today, and I wanted to climb - just wanted a couple of hours and a few short routes at a local quarry. Got kitted up, tied in, hands on the rock - and the skies opened. Pah!

Babika 04 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Oh dear

Its April. Maybe you could have an official birthday in, say, July?
OP bpmclimb 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

I like that idea. July 6th it is then ....
 Tall Clare 04 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

It was my birthday this weekend (a 'big' one) and when the weather was utterly bogging on Saturday I did consider moving my birthday to July, as Babika suggests. Fortunately Sunday (my actual birthday) was okay. Having a birthday at the start of April is a TERRIBLE idea.

Many happy returns, by the way.
 Mick Ward 04 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Hi Brian,

Sorry but... it happens. It's been and on and off day on Porty too, sunshine/showers. Somehow Peter Gillman's new account of the FA of the Harlin route seems more alluring.

Yonks ago, with my (non-climbing) partner (it must have been love!), slogged all the way up to the Dervish. As with you, hands on the rock - and the skies opened... and opened... Two drowned rats staggered back down to Beris. Of course as we sneezed through the doorway of Pete's Eats, magically the thundrous black clouds scurried away to be replaced by azure sky and blazing sun. Were we going back up? Nope!

Just enjoy your birthday... young 'un.

Mick

OP bpmclimb 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Just enjoy your birthday... young 'un.

Thanks Mick. I particularly like the bit about being young!

It's not raining at the moment, but there are still some heavy looking clouds around, so we're going to sack the idea of returning to the crag, and drive down to Boulders in Cardiff for a quick burn; then maybe find somewhere to eat out. Indoor climbing doesn't really do it for me these days, but there are worse ways to spend a birthday, so I shouldn't complain, I suppose

Babika 04 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

my kids used to go to school with some twins whose mother refused to acknowledge that their birthday was 19th December and summarily moved it to 19 November.

I did wonder how old they were before she told them.
 fmck 04 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

You should of seen my 40th. I spent 8 years doing the Munros, Corbetts and Grahams to finally complete all three on my 40th Birthday. On the day it was really wild weather but I didn't even make it to the start. My son was born 5 weeks premature the day before. Lost all the booking fees for rooms and bunkhouse at Bridge of Orchy hotel for the planned after party. Got to my bed at 7pm on my 40th birthday and was glad of it.
On the plus side he was ok and we now share our birthday cake together. They sing happy birthday with his number candle then get the number 4 candle out the drawer from last year and stick it next to his. I then get my sing song and blow out the candles. Bloody bunch of cheap skates!
 lummox 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

I blame the parents
In reply to Mick Ward:

Hoping to get to Portland this coming weekend at some point with friends who've not climbed outdoors yet Mick. Was flicking through the pages and saw your route on Nicodemus Knob. Assuming we get a few hours when the heavens play ball... I look forward to having a go!
 girlymonkey 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Babika:

Because it never rains in July?!
I think you need to move your birthday to Spain!!
 Adam Perrett 04 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

'The Smoke Haus' in Cardiff does incredible steaks and ribs!
 Mick Ward 04 Apr 2016
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

Hi Fred, good to see the fire's burning again! Oddly enough I thought about 'ole Nicodemus this afternoon - hasn't happened in a very long while. Not wishing to put you off but... it's just about the most windy place on Portland. Any wind at all and it's freezing up there. Also all the routes have an odd, tricky style and all pass through a short gritty band near the top. Not really selling it, am I? But honestly, it's best saved for a heatwave/summer evening - and then only 'cos it's different.

A better bet for your friends might be taking them to the Bower first. OK it's underwhelming but, by the same token, it feels very unthreatening. If they're fine/bored with this, if you drop down to Bottom Dekio, the routes are longer and in a nice position. John's route, Winter Sun, is arguably the most amenable 6a on Portland - lovely, (mostly) balance climbing.

You'll remember the polish at The Cuttings - well, it's a lot worse now! It's a nightmare in the sun whereas the Bower/Bottom Dekio are still reasonable.

Somewhere like Bower/Bottom Dekio in the morning sun, for them, maybe something harder for you when the Cuttings goes into shade (Hall of Mirrors?) and maybe pop over to The Veranda in the evening, again for them. It's not wondrous but in a lovely position and again the routes are unthreatening yet more intricate that one initially imagines.

Hope you have a good visit. (I'll be away.) Bring windproofs; there's been a biting wind for months now, although finally the weather's starting to perk up.

All best wishes,

Mick

Wsdconst 04 Apr 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Happy birthday !! Same happened to me Friday afternoon. I sneaked off early from work, met my brother and walked in with the sun on our backs. I think i got about 6 ft off the floor when it started to rain, I did manage to finish the route (a slab too ) it was only a short shower but managed to make everything too wet to try anything else. Guess that's just British weather.
In reply to Mick Ward:

Hi Mick,

I think you've just confirmed every little concern I had with it as an introductory venue!!! I thought it was cool because it's a 'summit' they can climb to. But all things considered it sounds like a bad idea.

I'll take the to the Bower for a play and then wind up the day with Pulpit rock and a cup of tea on the Bill!

Shame to hear you're away. Was going to suggest meeting up! Have a nice trip wherever it is you're off to!!
 Mick Ward 05 Apr 2016
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

Have a good time. The sun's back out again - about time too!

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...