UKC

Daydreams of escape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 08 Apr 2016
Friday afternoon fun...

Do you secretly imagine chucking in your mundane nine-to-five and doing some whole other thing? If so, what? I'm thinking of stuff that's just plausible enough to be a good daydream, but not that you realistically anticipate doing.

I guess that if you're a musician and freelance surf instructor living in Sumatra but occasionally wonder about moving to Hampshire and becoming a dental hygenist then that's good too. On the other hand, if your life is so awesome that you wouldn't change a thing then try to contain your smugness for now.

For my part, I occasionally imagine moving to Ullapool and starting a microbrewery. The rationale is basically that Ullapool seems really nice, it's a beautiful area, light industrial space around there probably isn't at much of a premium, my homebrewing's going pretty well, there's not much decent beer that side of the Black Isle, and businesses in the Highlands seem to have a really strong culture of supporting local products so you'd probably be able to sell in plenty of shops, pubs and cafes. On the other hand, I don't really have any issues with my current line of work, having known people who've gone into brewing, it sounds like it's actually bloody hard work for very little return, particularly if you're starting as an amateur rather than an experienced professional.

Right, that's mine - what's yours?
 Mountain Llama 08 Apr 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:
sounds like a conflict of interest to me, ie drinking the profits?

Post edited at 12:31
 Big Ger 09 Apr 2016

> Friday afternoon fun...

> Do you secretly imagine chucking in your mundane nine-to-five and doing some whole other thing? If so, what?

Retiring.

(3 years and 10 months to go!)
 Siward 09 Apr 2016

Same as yours. Hmm, Ullapool would be lovely...

arch 09 Apr 2016

If my 6 numbers were to ever come up, I'd like to buy either a Fishery or Golf club and help maintain it. Cutting grass and trees, raking bunkers, taking day tickets, that sort of thing. When you've had enough for the day, just stop and come back another day. No one to bother you to carry on.

Downsizing to a narrowboat, relaxing in a midge infested swamp whilst drinking and smoking my savings away. Current plan is to achieve this within the neat 12 months.
 hokkyokusei 09 Apr 2016

My dream would be a small business which was a small bar in a second hand bookshop with a microbrewery in the basement. But it would only be part time, I'd spend three months per year abroad, mountaineering, three months at my remote cottage in the sticks, three months partying from my city centre appartment and three months asleep. I'm not decided if the bar is in the city or the sticks, yet.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have none of these things.
 Tom Last 09 Apr 2016

Ace, Ullapool is brilliant, you should do it!

Mine is Euro lottery winning mega bucks based and ridiculous.

Basically I'd buy a Bell Huey and set up a taxi service. There'd be minimum charge of course - four quid. I'd do anything; pick you up from the pub, take you to the airport (pointless), get some Rizla from the offy for you, anything, but all in a Bell Huey.

Basically I'd spank it all, but it would be funny
OP Ramblin dave 09 Apr 2016

My other idea - you can have this one for free - is to get hold of an old minibus, a trailer and a load of second-hand bouldering mats and run a combined taxi and bouldering mat hire service in Font. You'd basically do a round of campsites and bouldering areas in the morning, spend most of the day climbing yourself, and then do another round in the evening. A few station transfers, maybe the odd supermarche trip in the evenings. Charge enough to keep you in fuel, food, campsite fees and 3-euro-a-bottle Bordeaux and it should be viable. Not sure what you'd do in the off season, though.
 Bimble 10 Apr 2016

I'd love to raise pigs in woodland & create the highest quality meat possible. That'd keep me happy.
 Only a hill 10 Apr 2016

I've done this, twice. The first time I was staring down the barrel of a joyless career in programming and decided to move to Glen Coe to work at the Clachaig for three years. It was the best decision I ever made.

The second time, I found myself working full time at a Carphone Warehouse store. I quit my job to become an outdoor writer and freelance editor. It was the second-best decision I ever made.
 planetmarshall 10 Apr 2016

Already done it. Kicked in the permanent employment and started my own software company. Early days but should provide me with a comfortable income and the freedom to take lengthy breaks for climbing and other activities. Best of both worlds, at least that's the idea. Time will tell.
 Billhook 10 Apr 2016

Done it.

Gave up the HR job+pension+bullshit at 48.

Moved to West Cork in Eire to no job, no mortage, no council tax, no water or sewerage charges. became self employed, did everything from gardening, handyman, tour-guiding, +got qualified, teaching English, got TESOL, dry stone walling, hedgelaying, looking after second homes & no bullshit.

We had a brilliant time. The only regret I had is that I sacrificed a better income when I retired. Well I'm still working but some people would call it retirement!
 BnB 11 Apr 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Already done it. Kicked in the permanent employment and started my own software company. Early days but should provide me with a comfortable income and the freedom to take lengthy breaks for climbing and other activities. Best of both worlds, at least that's the idea. Time will tell.

I did the same 20 years ago and it's still going. I can grab a day off midweek every week and holiday when and as often as I wish BUT, the problem with choosing a fast-growing industry like IT, is that the company has developed well beyond my original intentions. Believe me, I'm not exactly complaining but it has delivered a different kind of stress. Yes, I can go climbing today, but someone is going to want to plug into my knowledge this morning, another will want a contract reviewed and HMRC will have some return or other to perform. All of these will make me a grumpy sod who wishes he could just step away altogether. So the whole venture could be described as a failure.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...