UKC

Pain between shoulder blades?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RobertHepburn 11 Apr 2016
Hi All,

I managed a hard rock over/mantle boulder problem 2 weeks ago, and I think I strained a muscle/tendon in my back/shoulder area. Serves my right for competing with my son I suppose .

I rested it for a week, then we went to Font for a week, which didn't help, but as much for the carrying rucksacks/driving as the actual climbing. Managed to climb up to about 6c once warmed up, but sometimes reaching for things (e.g. something from a shelf) or driving was really painful. I have looked up my physio book, but it doesn't seem to have anything on this?

My neck seems fine, as is my lower back. The pain is almost right between my shoulder blades, and it hurts when I try to pick something up at distance e.g. with a straight arm. I didn't climb tonight as a precaution, but am keen to go back on Wednesday

I think it is now getting better e.g. the pain has got less, but any advice or ideas gratefully received.

Cheers,

Robert

nniff 12 Apr 2016
In reply to RobertHepburn:

First port of call is 'keep it until it gets better'. If it's not a tear or some sort and it persists, then a nerve pinched in your neck might be the problem (he says from personal experience), especially if it's not always painful.
 PaulTanton 12 Apr 2016
I often get niggle pain between my shoulder blades. Not as severe as yous by the sound of it.
One trick I do is rolling a tennis ball over the painful area. Trap the ball between your back and a wall. Then wiggle it round. Works a treat for minor climbing induced pain
 top cat 12 Apr 2016

you need a chiropractor not a physio..................a good one will fix this in a couple of visits

[I'm not a chiro, but a climber who has been given a second chance by chiro treatment]
 Dervey 12 Apr 2016

I had something similar a while ago. I got stuck in with a lacrosse ball, found a knot and massaged it out every night for a week. Worked a treat (though it hurt like hell).
 Dave Garnett 12 Apr 2016

> The pain is almost right between my shoulder blades,

Is it always the same person standing behind you when it happens?

3leggeddog 12 Apr 2016
reply to top cat:

> you need a chiropractor not a physio..................a good one will fix this in a couple of visits

> [I'm not a chiro, but a climber who has been given a second chance by chiro treatment]

Did the asthma clear up?
 mhughes 13 Apr 2016

I'm afraid the answer is gentle mobilisation until it settles down, can take a couple of weeks and it sounds like you haven't really given it a proper rest, it's always difficult to remote diagnose but it sounds like you have pulled some of the muscles that insert on the medial border of the shoulder blade (rhomboids/levator scapulae/serratus anterior)
The best way to stretch them is to give yourself a hug!
Get well soon!
Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...