UKC

Who are the hardest climbers, Northeners or Southeners?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Goucho 16 Apr 2016
And for clarification, we shall be using the Southeners definition of 'Up North' - so that's everything north of Watford Gap.
 deacondeacon 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Seems like the hardest tend to be Southerners that have moved up North
 Heavy Mental 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Definitely the Scottish. And you're all southerners to us.
In reply to Goucho:

Neither; it's them as live under bridges, wherever they are...
In reply to Goucho:

There's certainly a surprisingly long list of very hard climbers from the south. Perhaps the hardest of all (still alive) being Mick Fowler. Others off top of my head: Pat Littlejohn, Stevie Haston, Martin Boysen, Johnny Dawes, and Tim Emmett. Historically, the likes of Edward Whymper, Albert Mummery and George Mallory. And then there's Alasteir Crowley, who was off the scale.
 Andrew Wilson 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

They all climb real hard, but how hard are they?

Andy
 Trangia 16 Apr 2016

> And then there's Alasteir Crowley, who was off the scale.

In more ways than one!!
 Trangia 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Neither.

Bear Grylls was born in Ireland!
 Toccata 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:
Before I read any replies to the title, my answer was 'where's Mick Fowler from?'.
 bouldery bits 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

The climbers of the Midlands.
 Trixiebelle 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Doesn't matter which compass point they originate from.

As long as they bounce.
 admackie 16 Apr 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

have to agree with you on that one deacon
Removed User 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

The hardest climbers or the climbers who climb the hardest?
 Trixiebelle 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

True Grit Anyone in the Peak
 Rick Graham 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> The hardest climbers or the climbers who climb the hardest?

I misread this first as

The hardest climbers are the climbers who climb the hardest.

d_b 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:
Q: What do you call an aardvark that keeps losing fights?

A: Vark.
Post edited at 10:25
 natetan 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Spanish I think..
Morriss 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Definitely Northerners over Southerners but more specifically Yorkies! Current Lancs crew are weak in comparison!
 Wsdconst 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Obviously it's northerners. I'm hard as f##k me like.
 JMarkW 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Southerners. Women. Especially ones called Anderson.
 colinakmc 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Morriss:

Try telling Mick Fowler that....

> There's certainly a surprisingly long list of very hard climbers from the south. Perhaps the hardest of all (still alive) being Mick Fowler. Others off top of my head: Pat Littlejohn, Stevie Haston, Martin Boysen, Johnny Dawes, and Tim Emmett. Historically, the likes of Edward Whymper, Albert Mummery and George Mallory. And then there's Alasteir Crowley, who was off the scale.

Good case for Southerners apart from the fact that George Mallory wasn't from the South, he was a Northerner from Birkenhead.
OP Goucho 17 Apr 2016

> There's certainly a surprisingly long list of very hard climbers from the south. Perhaps the hardest of all (still alive) being Mick Fowler. Others off top of my head: Pat Littlejohn, Stevie Haston, Martin Boysen, Johnny Dawes, and Tim Emmett. Historically, the likes of Edward Whymper, Albert Mummery and George Mallory. And then there's Alasteir Crowley, who was off the scale.

Mick Fowler doesn't count. We're talking about people who come from Planet Earth, and Mick doesn't
OP Goucho 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Morriss:

> Definitely Northerners over Southerners but more specifically Yorkies! Current Lancs crew are weak in comparison!

Try standing on a chair in the Black Dog in Belmont and saying that?
 Rick Graham 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

So, G , now you have moved to Dorset, have you lost your Northern accent and sound like a Southerner?

FFIW I don't think Southerners are as hung up about who is hardest as Northerners.
 Ramblin dave 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

> FFIW I don't think Southerners are as hung up about who is hardest as Northerners.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/friends-suspect-man-may-be-lying...
In reply to Goucho:

> Mick Fowler doesn't count. We're talking about people who come from Planet Earth, and Mick doesn't

I still can't get to terms with the tax inspector bit, though. Never have.
In reply to Rick Graham:

> So, G , now you have moved to Dorset, have you lost your Northern accent and sound like a Southerner?

> FFIW I don't think Southerners are as hung up about who is hardest as Northerners.

A great experience that's etched on my memory is the first time I ever went to Cratcliffe. I was fortunate enough to be climbing with Fliss Butler. There were some Yorkshire lads there who seemed tough as nails, having a bit of a time on Five Finger Exercise. I led Elliot's Unconquerable OK, then it was Fliss's turn. She wanted to do Fern Hill. She had this very well-educated 'southern' accent, and I could tell that the Yorkshire brigade was very sceptical. They fell rather silent when she simply cruised it. (I then had to second it, and managed the crux ... just, then all was well.) Then I led Suicide Wall, also on sight, with little fuss, and the Northern brigade were certainly starting to take us quite seriously. Then Fliss announced that she was going to do Five Finger Exercise.... She did it so well that the Yorkshire lads clapped when she topped out. (Again, I had to follow. I just managed it, basically by climbing the top bit as fast as I could before my strength ran out.) A four-hour afternoon trip that I'll never forget.
OP Goucho 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

> So, G , now you have moved to Dorset, have you lost your Northern accent and sound like a Southerner?

To be honest Rick, I've lived in so many different places over the years, both in and outside the UK, that I'm not sure where I come from anymore

My OP was somewhat tongue in cheek, but it is interesting defining what 'hard' means?

I've climbed with people who might not have operated at the highest standards, but were as hard as nails when the shit hit the fan, and I've climbed with others operating at the top standards who were brilliant in perfect conditions, but not when things went pear shaped.

Ardo 19 Apr 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

You not invoking your Geordie provenance today then?
In reply to Goucho:

What you have said is just so true. Probably best not to give examples, with names

On the plus side: one of my old climbing partners in the Alps, Mike Danford, who was possibly not quite as good as myself on rock, was a brilliant companion to be with when things got difficult in the Alps.
 deacondeacon 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Ardo:

Nah, I'm neither hard, nor soft, Northern nor Southern.
I'm a middle of the road amalgam that eats Jellied Eels on his Stottie Cake.
 Misha 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

That's it, need a big fight to sort this out. Winter climbers can bring their axes.
 Andrew Wilson 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Misha:
> That's it, need a big fight to sort this out. Winter climbers can bring their axes.

"Birmingham is the centre of the climbing universe" a great climber once said.

Suppose that means you can choose sides on the day!

Post edited at 15:44
 Misha 20 Apr 2016
In reply to Andrew Wilson:
I think north is north of the Derby - Stafford line and south is south of the Worcester - Stratford on Avon line. Sensible Midlanders will stay out of it and take over once the southerners and northerners have finished each other off.
Post edited at 20:22
 LizS 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

The hardest climbers are those who live nearest to climbing areas and those who live furthest because those who live nearest get lots of practice and become hard climbers as a matter of course, while those who live furthest climb whatever the conditions (because they haven't come all this way to do nothing) and so also become hard climbers as a result.
There are, of course, exceptions to both of the above.
Andy Gamisou 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:
> And for clarification, we shall be using the Southeners definition of 'Up North' - so that's everything north of Watford Gap.

Why can't we be using the (real) Northeners definition of 'darn souf' as everything south of Wetherby???

Also, did you spill my pint?
Post edited at 19:49
 Chris Murray 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

Wetherby???

Durham!!!
 Andy Moles 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Topographically speaking, the mid-point of the longest north-south axis is Haltwhistle in Northumberland. Apparently.

So Carlisle and about half of Newcastle are in the South.
 Andy Hardy 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Do we know if Ronnie Pickering climbs?
OP Goucho 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Do we know if Ronnie Pickering climbs?

Yes.

He did London Wall a couple of days ago. It's now a chimney.
 Misha 22 Apr 2016
In reply to Andy Moles:
Surely you need to look at just England and Wales. Scotland is Scotland and therefore everyone there is hard by definition.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...