UKC

Unusual hand injury - MCP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skyfall 16 Apr 2016

I seem to have picked a slightly unusual climbing injury to my hand and am interested if anyone on UKC has had something similar.

I think I must have picked it up at the wall about two nights ago but didn't realise at the time. In fact, I only became aware of it in the early morning as I became aware my hand was hurting. My skin is actually inflamed, red and painful a bit like a burn - on the top of my hand around the knuckles/webbing between second and third fingers. The injured area seems to be between those two fingers and it's painful if I press about 1cm in front of my knuckle on the side (fairly deep in between my fingers but on the upper side). I've been icing it which helps but it's still inflamed and quite warm to touch. It's a bit stiff and sore generally when I move that part of my hand but doesn't seem to hurt particularly when I load my third finger or press it sideways. However, it's worse if I try to spread my second and third fingers apart. Other than when I press on the injured area, it doesn't seem to be acutely painful.

After a bit of internet research I can only think this is damage to my MCP collateral ligament but that doesn't seem to be a common climbing injury (or common at all, unless it's your thumb MCP). Any thoughts?

This is a bit annoying as I'd been going well and have a trip away in under a month now. The usual story. I'm thinking about leaving it to calm down for a few days, continue with the icing, and then buddy strap it and see how I go.
Post edited at 17:46
 BusyLizzie 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

Doh! You have had some bad luck with injuries haven't you? Can't offer any info, sadly, but I do wish you better!
Lxx
 mhughes 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

Hi
You need that looking at and an X-ray, I'd suggest you go to A&E
Mike
OP Skyfall 17 Apr 2016
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thanks Lizzie, I've not picked up an injury for, oh, 6 months or so and I was due another
OP Skyfall 17 Apr 2016
In reply to mhughes:
Thanks but I doubt A&E would be very interested. Even if they were, I doubt an x Ray would show much; I'm pretty certain it's soft tissue not a fracture. Icing is helping so far.

I'd really just like to be out climbing !
Post edited at 10:14
Hertz32 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

Ice, Ibuprofen and rest my friend! If it's there in a week, see the GP and they may refer you to a physio or someone similar. There are tendons in that area, though I'm not sure why the skin would be inflamed if that was the case.
an allergic reaction maybe?
 mhughes 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Skyfall:
I'm sure A&E would be interested, if not they'd probably call your friendly local orthopod to come and look at it😉
Inflamed skin can be due to cellulitis which is an infection in the skin and underlying superficial fascia, there's very little distance between the skin and all the clockwork underneath so we take hand infections very seriously
Mike
OP Skyfall 17 Apr 2016
In reply to mhughes:

Thanks - I gather you were speaking from experience so apologies if I was dismissive. It is however improving and the surface inflammation has gone now, which was quite worrying at the time.
 mhughes 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

no probs glad its settling down!
Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...