UKC

On line comments

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 18 Apr 2016
So I posted a thread about headcams on cyclists. Lots of debate which is all good but what I found interesting was the tone of some of the responses and language used. I doubt people talk like that to a complete stranger in person so why is it Ok on line? There also seems to be some sort of pack mentality that goes on online where people comment to each other attacking another complete stranger.

I have no problem with any of it personally but find it worrying in a larger context that people feel it is Ok to act like that.
 BnB 18 Apr 2016
In reply to iusedtoclimb:
Compare on the one hand discussing matters with your collection of friends, a self-selected group chosen for social compatibility, and, on the other, an all-inclusive internet forum of many diverse and potentially incompatible characteristics. Deny the latter group the all-important access to non-verbal communication and you have a marked contrast in ingredients which goes some way to explaining the different behaviour.

Or is it that some people are just not very nice, yet have learned to master their tendencies better in more formal or personal social environments?
Post edited at 10:20
Removed User 18 Apr 2016

The depersonalisation of the internet generally plays a bit part, but it might also be worth mentioning that in the specific thread on helmet cams your original message was somewhat provocative, which probably encouraged people to respond in a similar manner in kind.
 Chris Harris 18 Apr 2016

I think it all comes down to people starting threads with the word "So".
 nufkin 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

> I think it all comes down to people starting threads with the word "So".

Try doing a shot every time, or whenever you hear an interviewee do it being interviewed on the news.

Makes the drive to work much more bearable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...