UKC

It's all over.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 18 Apr 2016
For a while I thought I could keep up the climbing despite having children, but it's time to face the truth. I'm done.

On Saturday I found myself window shopping for glamping tents.

No way back.

Fin.
 Greasy Prusiks 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

He thinks it's all over, (buys caravan), it is now.

OP d_b 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
There are some depths I will never plumb!

Possibly.

Not until I get a bigger drive anyhow.
Post edited at 14:10
 DaveHK 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

...now baby blue?
 GrahamD 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Glamping tents make the perfect club base camp tents.
OP d_b 18 Apr 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Perhaps I could employ some porters to carry the tent and champagne.
 nniff 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Never give up - did my first route at Pembroke for 33 years at the weekend, but have kept my hand in in the intervening period. It helps if you don't live hours from the nearest worthwhile crag (which I do).

The kids are now all grown up.
 Xharlie 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I can identify with this.

It's spring now, and warm enough to actually go outdoors and climb but, a few weeks ago, I was invited on a trip and decided just to stay at home. The thought of spending an entire day standing about in the cold and pottering about about in the sand at the base of a green and slimy crag just to get in a few short and uninspiring routes on some super-polished limestone just seemed unappealing for the first time. So unappealing, I can't remember what it was that made me want to do that so desperately in previous years.

This incident really bothered me because I felt like I could no longer identify as a "climber". Not only was I unfit - having endured a European winter and not done half enough bouldering to keep my hand in - but I had crossed a line, done the unforgivable, by opting out of an opportunity to climb rock outdoors with no excuse!

Thinking about it, afterwards, I realised I would have jumped at the opportunity if the trip has been to climb some grand, long, multi-pitch route on grippy rock in the mountains. I'd have jumped at the opportunity if it had been to go for a decent stroll in the mountains. Perhaps I never was a climber? Perhaps I only climbed as an excuse to visit mountains and, now that my climbing fitness is flagging because I don't have ready access to inspiring, un-polished local climbs or a proper indoor gym, perhaps I should just admit defeat and acknowledge that hiking and walking (and skiing when the white-stuff falls) are my sports.

That said, I really miss the movement. I don't miss aching shoulders and sore ankles and holes in my skin and I don't miss the silly power-moves but I really, really miss the feeling that you get when everything just flows right and forces and momentum collude to create upward progress.

Anyway, for now, I think I am happy to consider myself a hiker, not a climber.

(I also miss being able to open jars. Seriously - I didn't think I'd lost it so badly until I tried to open a jar of pickled suhi ginger, this weekend.)
cb294 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

No way man, you can give up climbing when you are dead!

The REAL holiday climbing problem will only start when your kids don´t come on holidays with you anymore. I still have great memories of climbing with my daughters in Finale Ligure or the Ardeche. Just pick somewhat easier crags, and rig the belay that the weight difference does not matter. Later we went on to tick the likes of Gran Paradiso and the easier Wallis 4k peak, all from a 15kg Eureka tent as basecamp!

Unfortunately both daughters are now off to uni, so the chances that they will still come along on holiday are low (although the older one wants to join my wife and me for Sarek this summer, exam times permitting!).

CB

Wsdconst 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Time to buy some tiny climbing shoes and some full body harnesses you mean, oh and don't forget an outdoor climbing wall cleverly disguised as a children's garden activity frame. There's no need to give up all together, you'll get used to the cravings and driving past crags on your way to somewhere crappy where the kids can stroke a rabbi.
 Robert Durran 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

> .............somewhere crappy where the kids can stroke a rabbi.

What sort of a weird place is that?

cathsullivan 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

> ... on your way to somewhere crappy where the kids can stroke a rabbi.

Each to their own.
 Bobling 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:
Oh bless you Dave. You've got so much further to fall yet.

Before you know it you'll be conning the family that Ubley Warren Rocks is just the *perfect* venue for a Sunday afternoon walk, all so you can scrabble up three metres of polished limestone in the two minutes when you aren't trying to stop one of the little b*ggers throwing themselves down a mine shaft or off a cliff. And you know what? Those two minutes will burn bright in your mind for days afterwards! You managed to set hand on rock!

Don't worry chap it will let off in a couple of months and you can start regaining control of your life, but for now just accept that climbing will have to take a back seat! Give my love to Sharon, I'm looking forward to catching up some day.
Post edited at 20:07
 solostoke 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

Spat my tea all over my phone at that. Stroking rabbis what a place.
 Baron Weasel 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I want to insult you, but what I want to say may be offensive to cats or vaginas.
 climbingpixie 18 Apr 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

> you'll get used to the cravings and driving past crags on your way to somewhere crappy where the kids can stroke a rabbi.

A petting jew?
 Jon Stewart 18 Apr 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:

> A petting jew?

This is now the greatest thread ever.
 Big Ger 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Don't worry David, they grow up and leave home.

Eventually.

Just think, in 25 or 30 years time.....
 Brass Nipples 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

It ain't over till the fat lady sings
 Timmd 18 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:
Following the randomly religious theme, like you're only ever a lapsed Catholic, you're only ever a lapsed climber too, it's still there in your being and will reemerge at some point in the future.

You need to develop a friendship with another climber with a similarly aged family and find camp sites near to family friendly crags?
Post edited at 23:38
Andy Gamisou 19 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Have thought about fostering them out for a bit? Until they are 18 or there about a should do it.
OP d_b 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

I tried ebay but nobody would bid.
 RGriff 19 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

My Granddad was an obsessive climber back in the day and although it's been very intermittent since having kids I remember him teaching us in Font when I was really young, and only last year forcing me through a nasty French Via Ferrata! He's 71 this year and is pretty out of practice but still drives us to the cragg and checks my anchors

Don't give up on it yet! Plenty of great experiences to be had
Andy Gamisou 19 Apr 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I tried ebay but nobody would bid.

You maybe set the reserve too high?
In reply to davidbeynon:
A friend with his climbing partners on hearing they were having a child would say congratulations - see you in eighteen years. It happened enough that that was indeed the last he saw of them for climbing so your not alone in your thinking!
 Wsdconst 19 Apr 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

A pretty cool place, if they're tame enough they let you stoke their curly sideburns.
 Wsdconst 19 Apr 2016
In reply to solostoke:

> Spat my tea all over my phone at that. Stroking rabbis what a place.

Think it's the best spelling mistake I've ever made tbh
 Wsdconst 19 Apr 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:

> A petting jew?

Bravo, that my friend is comedy gold.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...