UKC

Do you keep a climbing diary?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimberGirl 23 Apr 2016
Basically what the title says..... I don't mean like just a log of routes climbed etc like you can do on UKC, but a proper old-fashioned diary about thoughts, weather, best moments etc. And if you do, do you ever go back and reread the old entries?
 GridNorth 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

My biggest regret is not keeping a journal. I used to make a note in the guides about when I did a route and who with but I got out of the habit.

Al
 Greasy Prusiks 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

I keep a climbing diary and it's one of my most treasured possession. Mines a combination of entries, photos and random lists- best routes, when I climbed certain grades, best named routes ect. Even got maps in there of places I've been. My only regret is I didn't start at sooner. If people don't have one I'd highly recommend it, the best time to start one is your first climb the next best is your next climb.

In answer to your question, yes I look through it surprisingly often.
 pneame 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

Wish I had - while I have got a mostly good memory, there are distressing holes - who did I do that with? What was there name? How did I get from A to B?

Exemplified by a day at Tremadoc when I climbed 4 routes that I hadn't done before. Later that week, on consulting my (very) old guidebook which had some notes, I found that I had climbed them all 20 years previously
 AdrianC 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

Yes. It started when I began climbing in 1986, as a hand-written log in an old exercise book. It became a word document in about 2003 and is now on page 76 as the 30th anniversary of my first climb approaches. That was Left Hand Route at Wintours Leap and when we arrived in the pub afterwards Scotland had just taken the lead against Germany in their world cup group match (which they went on to lose 2 - 1.) I do sometimes go back and read a few pages at random - the memories either seem like they were yesterday or else they're so vague that if were not there in Calibri I'd never believe it actually happened. I'm glad I've kept it up. As well as being handy when I've had to provide lists of pre-requisites for courses, it's sometimes useful to be able to search through for any beta I recorded about a place of just for a reminisce. Which reminds me - I need to add today's route!
 Trangia 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

I did during the 1960s, then I got married and once we started having kids I was doing less and stopped.

Once or twice I've started it again, including my experiences and thoughts on a Himalayan Expedition in 1989, but since then I haven't.

I do rather regret not keeping it up.

I also have kept margin notes in climbing and mountain walking guides, some of which I used as the basis for my ML Assessment records.
 BusyLizzie 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

I keep a diary.- narrative with photos. I am so surprised to be climbing (implausible late starter) and every day out has been special - for the place, for the people I've been with, for the climbing... I am consciously preserving the memories.
 joe.wahab 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

I usually provide a pretty detailed description in my UKC logbook - however after Greasy Prusiks' comment about keeping a physical one with photos, maps and other bits, I think I may get a notebook and keep a physical log/diary. Sounds really nice
 BusyLizzie 23 Apr 2016
In reply to ClimberGirl:

AND decide I advance if it is to be for your eyes only, or if your family and climbing partners can read it. It makes a difference to what you write! I am glad that I set out with the intention of writing something shareable - anyone can read it.
In reply to Trangia:

I've probably posted this before, but this is my 1967-68 climbing logbook:

http://gordonstainforth.apps-1and1.net/1967-68-climbing-logbook
 Greasy Prusiks 23 Apr 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

Yeah go for it! The note book I bought is the best couple of quid I ever spent.

My advice after keeping one is...

Record the good and the bad, found an entry in mine that just says "Rubbish trip." worth a chuckle looking back.

Number your trips, it's nice to celebrate a milestone every so often.

Put entries and photos in the front, maps and tables ect at the back. Keeps it easy to find stuff.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...