UKC

Budget Hotels?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 26 Apr 2016
Just been looking for two nights B & B accommodation for three weeks hence. I went on to the web sites of two well known hotel chains that plug themselves as "budget hotels".

How can they claim to be "budget" when their rates often run into treble figures. Premier Inns quoted some sort of saver deal(no cancellation) for £189 whilst Travelodge gave a price of £159(both for two nights) No doubt, had I done a bit more research, I might have found something even cheaper.

For £120 and a bit of googling I managed to find, in the same area, a well appointed pub, with atmosphere and an attractive looking menu.

I remember using Travelodge at Manchester Airport a few years back. It was ghastly.
 Kimberley 26 Apr 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

try booking.com or late rooms.com

hthom 26 Apr 2016

'airBNB' is also very good and gove you more options. Particularly if you are saying somewhere for an extended time such as 3 weeks and want your own kitchen space etc.
 The New NickB 26 Apr 2016

The budget hotels work in a similar way airlines or train travel. The prices start low (typically £29) then rise as they sell rooms. In popular locations, or if there is an event on locally on the date you want to stay the cheap rooms can sell months before the date.

Travelodge is generally fine if all you want is a basic room and bathroom, I've only paid more than the budget price, when they were the only hotel within 10 miles whee I needed to be. Premier Inn rooms are generally a bit nicer and the hotels often have more facilities, but tend to be slightly more expensive.

I've had some good deals with Holiday Inn Express, as low as £19. I've also turned up on spec following a change of plan and paid £100.

If you are looking for the 'hotel experience' rather than just somewhere to sleep, you need to look elsewhere.
 Neil Williams 26 Apr 2016
In reply to The New NickB:
> Travelodge is generally fine if all you want is a basic room and bathroom

Travelodges these days I find are terrible. Bits falling off and filthy. Basic is fine (I can handle Ibis Budget which is far more basic than Travelodge, with whitewashed walls and metal furniture more reminiscent of a hostel private room) but clean and maintain it properly. The last time I stayed in a Travelodge (Edinburgh Princes St) the room stank of vomit and the bathroom was grubby with badly cracked tiles.

A chain that is really getting it right is the German Motel One chain, though they aren't the absolute cheapest (though usually cheaper than Premier Inn). There aren't many in the UK but they are so good they would be my first choice where available.
Post edited at 11:24
In reply to Neil Williams:

I've used quite a few, we stay in them with the running club to keep trips as affordable as we can for everyone. I think a lot have been refurbished over the last few years. They have always been fine, maybe I've been lucky.
In reply to The New NickB:

I think the issue is that they refurbish them once in a blue moon then let them get progressively into a state of disrepair. So if you've mainly stayed in refurbished ones you have probably had the better ones.

I've stayed in unrefurbished ones, not as nice, but clean and none of the damage you mention.

Either I've been lucky, or you have been unlucky. I guess we will never know which.
Graeme G 26 Apr 2016

Premier Inn £29 for a family of four. £9.50 per person per night in a City Centre!! As others have said depends when you're going, how far ahead you book and the availability of rooms.
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

I'd certainly choose Premier Inn over Travelodge, but if either of them charges well over £100 I'd rather pay £200 and stay in a full service hotel.
Graeme G 26 Apr 2016

Yeah. Not surprised Premier Inn have done so well. Although i would dispute the Chief Execs claim this morning to a "quality breakfast". The cooked stuff just makes we want to boak.
OP FesteringSore 26 Apr 2016

This is where I have booked for £120:
http://www.thesquirrel-hurtmore.co.uk/

and these are the nearest plastic Travelodge and Premier Inns with their prices for the same two days

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/287/Guildford-hotel?location=Guildford+...

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/surrey/guildford/guildford-n...
Post edited at 15:28
 Dauphin 26 Apr 2016
In reply to hthom:

Air BnB - I think it's a great idea but increasingly not a cheap option when you add the Air BnB tax and unrealistic expectations of what you might expect to pay for a room in the provinces for a couple of nights without breakfast. I'm often pretty unsociable around chilling and sleeping and don't want to have to spend much time nattering to a boho hipster landlady with cats; read, music, kip, leave.

D
In reply to Dauphin:
With you there, I'd only use Airbnb to rent a complete apartment for a group, I wouldn't like to stay with one random person - I find that quite awkward, personally, though I know plenty of people don't. If on a real budget I'd choose a hostel dorm over that.
Post edited at 16:27
abseil 26 Apr 2016

> I'd certainly choose Premier Inn over Travelodge, but if either of them charges well over £100 I'd rather pay £200 and stay in a full service hotel.

Dead right - paying more, e.g. 50% more, often gets you a very much better place: worth it IMO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...