UKC

Sheepdog's '240-mile trip to former home'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert-hutton 26 Apr 2016

Nice story about dog going home

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-36130437

He looks very happy
Post edited at 10:14
 Trevers 26 Apr 2016
In reply to robert-hutton:

Dog
 Fraser 26 Apr 2016

Nice one.

That amazing/crazy!

A fascinating mystery, because the dog appears to have been well fed en route. And if it really did do it by some kind of homing instinct we're left with the problem that the route is very far from straightforward.
 3leggeddog 27 Apr 2016

I am a bit suspicious. Dog arrives fresh, well fed and watered after 240 mile walk.

Perhaps the dog was no good and returned by vehicle to the previous owners land and released there?

A real shaggy dog story
cb294 27 Apr 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Sounds entirely plausible to me. When I was a child, our neighbours´German Shepherd ran away when they were visiting family some 150 km away. Our neighbours then had to return home before the dog came back. Instead of showing up at their relatives place, the dog reappeared three days later at their home, looking completely fine.

CB
 3leggeddog 27 Apr 2016
In reply to cb294:

I am not questioning the ability of a collie to make its way home. It id the condition of the dog that makes me suspicious
ceri 27 Apr 2016

240 miles in 14 days is only a stroll for a proper collie. I suppose there are enough dead rabbits, half eaten chip packets, cat food bowls etc on the journey for an enterprising dog to survive a fortnight? When we found a stray dog on a walk we gave him a pasty, maybe he mugged some walkers for sandwiches on the way?
 MG 27 Apr 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> I am not questioning the ability of a collie to make its way home. It id the condition of the dog that makes me suspicious

3leggeddog? I think you are just jealous.
In reply to 3leggeddog:

I think we simply have to accept that it was a very clever dog, in being able both to navigate its way home and obtain food.
 Oujmik 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I'm fascinated by how the dog knew where to go. A human would have pretty much no chance of doing this without relying on signs and/or a general knowledge of the geography of the UK. Did it use the position of the sun for orientation? If so it must have been observing this on the way out as well, which suggests a (at least subconsciously) premeditated escape. Surely from the car it couldn't have seen or smelled enough for it to recognise the route using sensory cues.
 jimbo85 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

My Dad's dog loves coming down to Cornwall when he visits me as she'll get long walks on the beach and coastpath etc. Apparently she'll go beserk in the car on the way down and somehow seems to know that's where she's going, even though it's just another motorway journey which could be to anywhere...
 Jack Frost 28 Apr 2016

It sounds like an Incredible Journey.
 Timmd 28 Apr 2016

I like his expression, it's a very happy dog.
 FactorXXX 28 Apr 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

I'm fascinated by how the dog knew where to go. A human would have pretty much no chance of doing this without relying on signs and/or a general knowledge of the geography of the UK. Did it use the position of the sun for orientation? If so it must have been observing this on the way out as well, which suggests a (at least subconsciously) premeditated escape. Surely from the car it couldn't have seen or smelled enough for it to recognise the route using sensory cues.

He probably used his Global Pawsitioning System...
 marsbar 29 Apr 2016
In reply to jimbo85:

My dog knows when we are going to my parents. About 5 miles away he recognizes where we are and gets all excited.

That dog is quite cute, I bet people would give him food.
 Billhook 29 Apr 2016

My dog knows - because it recognises landmarks (I assume) when it goes to places it knows are fun, such as sand dunes with rabbits! When we went to see our daughter (and their dog) our dog used to get so excited we'd letter run the last mile or so even though we may not have been for several months.

Out walking my dog can recognise individual gates, gaps in hedges, rocks and particular footpath junctions and will change directions, following the route last used over a year previously.

Some years ago I took her to my mother's house for the first time. We only used the front entrance which was a part of a long stretch of terraced houses. My dog loved my mum as mum thought our dog was starving and fed her treats accordingly.. The following day I took our dog out of the front door and went for a run. Several hundred yards later my dog vanished from my side. She'd never been this way, nor walked the footpaths before, yet I found her patiently sitting at the back door of mum's house. She'd managed to navigate her way across new features and directly to the rear entrance to the house which she'd never used before.

I don't think the previous owner of the sheep dog in question would bother return it anonymously - Why?
 marsbar 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

Mine decided to visit a house where a random lady gave him a treat several years ago. Took me a while to work it out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...