UKC

retrievable abseil...what cord?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 29 Apr 2016
Taking a 60 meter lead line and may have to abseil a long route. So full length abseils would be a massive advantage. What thickness cord is suitable to pull the lead line down with? I guess lighter the better but there must be a point where it gets too thin before it stretches too much?
 GrahamD 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

I don't think stretch is the issue. It's holding and pulling thin cord, especially if the rope gets stuck a bit.
 springfall2008 29 Apr 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

You could tie a knot in the cord and clip it to a crab to pull it?

John Kelly 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:
don't really get the pull rope thing, sounds like a faff

also

60m 5mm = 1.2kg + 60m 10mm 3.6kg = 4.8kg
60m 7.7mm mammut twilight = 2.3kg X 2 =4.6kg

guess if you need something burly for big wall then maybe
Post edited at 09:32
 zimpara 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

Unless youre rapping down lower offs, i wouldn't bother.
7mm is good enough. And i wouldn't use less because you can't crank on anything less
In reply to Kemics:

4mm
OP Kemics 29 Apr 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

Yeah it's for Yosemite. Normally we'll use the haul line and lead line. But we might do some smaller routes that don't require hauling so will only have the one rope. Don't really have space to bring a 3rd lead line :/

So anything between 4 and 7? I might go go for longer because it's a good source of cord for bailing
 SenzuBean 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:
> Taking a 60 meter lead line and may have to abseil a long route. So full length abseils would be a massive advantage. What thickness cord is suitable to pull the lead line down with? I guess lighter the better but there must be a point where it gets too thin before it stretches too much?

I've had a play with paracord and found it was way too stretchy (and was only pulling on 30m). Another option that might be worth considering (if you really want to keep the weight down) is getting some dyneema cord from a chandlery - I got a few metres to tie various things in and it pretty much does not stretch at all.
Post edited at 10:11
OP Kemics 29 Apr 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

In an ideal world but apparently it's like £5 a meter! I think 60 meter of 5mm cord is going to be the option
 SenzuBean 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

> In an ideal world but apparently it's like £5 a meter! I think 60 meter of 5mm cord is going to be the option

<looks at prices> - ah yeah good choice
 BarrySW19 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

... and 5mm gives you plenty of cord if you need to make up some prusiks or use some as tat for bails offs.
 Rick Graham 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

> In an ideal world but apparently it's like £5 a meter! I think 60 meter of 5mm cord is going to be the option

If you go down the 5mm route practice what clamps or knots work if you need to pull it down really hard.

PS You will not believe the amount of stretch in a 5mm cord at high tension. It will then be very prone to slashing or sheath damage.
 GrahamD 29 Apr 2016
In reply to treforsouthwell:

> You could tie a knot in the cord and clip it to a crab to pull it?

Not great for multiple pitches though. It'll slow things up a lot
 BarrySW19 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

> If you go down the 5mm route practice what clamps or knots work if you need to pull it down really hard.

Never tried it, but presumably a bit of 2mm accessory cord would make a decent prusik for gripping 5mm cord? Breaking strain around 90kg - which should be more than plenty for the task.
 David Coley 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Kemics:

I've used 5mm (static), but is was a right pain in any wind. 6mm is much better. You will need a stuff sack for it as you pay it out as you descend - it will blow away if you just chuck it. Or lower the first person (with the end of the 6mm tied to them).
 Rick Graham 29 Apr 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> Not great for multiple pitches though. It'll slow things up a lot

Correct. Knot little use when the tag line stretches so much. Need two clamps or prussiks.
 Rick Graham 29 Apr 2016
In reply to BarrySW19:

> Never tried it, but presumably a bit of 2mm accessory cord would make a decent prusik for gripping 5mm cord? Breaking strain around 90kg - which should be more than plenty for the task.

90 kg a bit weak for two climbers pulling/bouncing on a highly tensioned cord as hard as they can.
 Rick Graham 29 Apr 2016
In reply to David Coley:

> I've used 5mm (static), but is was a right pain in any wind. 6mm is much better. You will need a stuff sack for it as you pay it out as you descend - it will blow away if you just chuck it. Or lower the first person (with the end of the 6mm tied to them).

We went from 6mm to 7mm for this reason. Might as well go for lightest half rope nowadays (7.3 ? 6.9 ? )
OP Kemics 29 Apr 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

Maybe a really light weight alpine rope isn't a terrible idea?
 oldie 01 May 2016
In reply to Kemics:

How about using sheathless polypropylene rope, say 5/6mm? Very cheap from internet, much lighter than climbing and static ropes of same diameter, virtually no stretch, and strong.
 Misha 02 May 2016
In reply to Kemics:
Andy Kirkpatrick has a blog about this I think. He should know...

I've considered pull cord for Alpine stuff but for now have decided against it and got a 7.3mm rope instead. Reasons being:

- Pull cord set up is a faff.
- Probably higher risk of getting the rope stuck if you're pulling down a crab which is hitched to a rope vs just an overhand.
- 7.3mm is thin but that's still a fully rated half rope, so you still have a proper rope if something happens to the main rope.
- Not much weight difference vs 7mm tat. Obviously if you go for 5mm or 6mm the weight saving would be more significant.

Also saved weight by getting 50m not 60m. Alpine summer abs are normally under 50m. No idea about Yosemite.

Note this was used with a half rope and an overhand was fine. I don't know if it would still work with a fat single or if you'd need a double overhand or fisherman's to prevent rope slip due to the difference in diameter.
 HeMa 02 May 2016
In reply to Misha:
> I've considered pull cord for Alpine stuff but for now have decided against it and got a 7.3mm rope instead. Reasons being...

For alpine yes, but not really that useful for Yosemite style straight steep lines. I know a lot of people are using the Edelrid Rap cord (in essence a 50 or 60m 6mm static dyneema rope).

> Note this was used with a half rope and an overhand was fine. I don't know if it would still work with a fat single or if you'd need a double overhand or fisherman's to prevent rope slip due to the difference in diameter.

9mm to 6mm with to EDKs back to back usually works and hasn't rolled noticeably. Other option is EDK and then and overhand with the thinner rope around the thicker one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...