UKC

Turtles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cfer 03 May 2016
Does anyone keep any?

I have just taken over care of a Chines soft shelled...I think...She said it was a japanese burying turtle but I cant find any such species and it looks more like a chinese soft shell

I think the care instructions she had given me were all wrong but sorted now with some googling

Just curious as to whether anyone else keeps any, any tips?

balmybaldwin 03 May 2016
In reply to cfer:

Get yourself over to reptileforumsuk (I think they are called) and get it identified asap so you can get the environment right for it.

Beware it maybe on the CITES list and require a special license depending on breed. the people at RFUK can be a bit aggressive but they do have a huge amount of valuable information and are willing to help. In your case you should find lots of people willing to help
OP cfer 03 May 2016
In reply to cfer:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8A7AD4E16F22E1A3!837&authkey=!AFVFM1NxNR8e-28&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8A7AD4E16F22E1A3!836&authkey=!AAW3b2S...

theres a picture if anyone would like to see
Post edited at 14:29
Rigid Raider 03 May 2016
In reply to cfer:

Did you get this from the accident on the A1 where a truckload of terrapins crashed into a truckload of tortioses?

Tyne & Wear Police have called it a "turtle disaster"!
 CurlyStevo 03 May 2016
In reply to cfer:

I feel sorry for such a big animal kept in such a small environment.
OP cfer 03 May 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

That was my first question on the reptile forum

I personally think its too small but apparently for the size its right, although it will need more...I have a small box room so I am looking at an indoor pond
 balmybaldwin 03 May 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Bare in mind that the glass/water will have a magnifying effect on the turtle

Agreed this a big problem with reptiles as pets. And while rfuk will happily say this is big enough. What they mean is its the minimum considered ok. however the last thing to do with a reptile is suddenly increase its space as it will display symptoms of stress. As you go larger do it gradually using false walls.

To the op have you got an island or something the turtle can get out of the water if it wants?
OP cfer 03 May 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

It only had a branch decoration which gave it very minimal space so i bought a turtle dock and it has been up on it a few times, it seems a very happy turtle so far as i can judge and is able to swim around freely. I think i will get a larger tank though so thanks for the advice about slowly increasing the size.
 JJL 03 May 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> the people at (insert forum of choice) can be a bit aggressive but they do have a huge amount of valuable information and are willing to help.

Now, where does that remind me of?
Jim C 03 May 2016
In reply to cfer:

> That was my first question on the reptile forum

> I personally think its too small but apparently for the size its right, although it will need more...I have a small box room so I am looking at an indoor pond

You need one of these for your box room( and maybe your bathroom
http://www.hometone.com/15-see-through-bathtubs-for-an-experience-truly-uni...
 toad 03 May 2016
In reply to cfer:

It's turtles all the way down!
 Dauphin 03 May 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Web footed barking bollocks?

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...