UKC

What exactly is Bouldering? Shauna on the BBC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 winhill 10 May 2016
 stp 11 May 2016
In reply to winhill:

She's actually now won 4 World Cups on the trot as she also won the last one of last season.

It would be good if her current success could in some way influence events so we get a World Cup in this country. Having some one at the top of any sport is not that common and could be appreciated much more if we had a WC here.
 Dandan 11 May 2016
In reply to stp:

It's not unheard of, we have had World Cup events in the UK in the past, perhaps we are waiting our turn, or maybe nobody has offered a suitable venue, now that the rounds attract 1000+ spectators you can't stage it in a climbing wall, it would need an exhibition hall or something, maybe the IFSC can't afford it?

To be honest I'm just guessing but I agree it would be good to have a round in the UK again, maybe if Shauna wins the overall then some more UK interest will jump on the bandwagon?
 john arran 11 May 2016
In reply to Dandan:

> To be honest I'm just guessing

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure for a moment then.
 Dandan 11 May 2016
In reply to john arran:

> Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure for a moment then.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to make a pointless rude comment. Appreciated.
 stp 11 May 2016
In reply to Dandan:

Events are paid for by local initiatives not by the IFSC and they're pretty expensive - I heard around £125,000 would be needed. There was a bit of plan to hold one in Sheffield but I don't think all the funding came together.

Yeah I think, barring injury, Shauna currently looks in a very solid position to win overall. Having a World Cup where the World Champion is British has to generate more interest from potential sponsors I'd have thought. It could even lead to the event being televised like was in Japan recently. That would surely be a good incentive for more sponsors.
 DancingOnRock 11 May 2016
In reply to winhill:

Here's some from last year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27647454

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...