UKC

Burn O'Vat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 12 May 2016
Does anyone know of a guide to Burn O'Vat near Pass of Ballater? The link on the crag overview doesn't seem to work anymore.

Thanks.
 Mike-W-99 12 May 2016
In reply to MikeR:

Found an archive of it. Fancied a visit myself at some point so interested in what you find.

http://web.archive.org/web/20151202050739/http://shelterstone.co.uk/tangent...
OP MikeR 12 May 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

That's great, thanks a lot for that.
 Stuart S 12 May 2016
In reply to MikeR:

Went there for a first visit a couple of weeks ago and really enjoy it. The rock is a wee bit hollow and scrittly in places, but there are some great lines and good climbing, and the setting is lovely. I did find some of the grading a bit random but that should hopefully settle down with more traffic and consensus. Enjoy!
OP MikeR 12 May 2016
In reply to Stuart S:

Cheers, glad you enjoyed the place. I've been to the Pass of Ballater quite a bit, but never there. It'll be nice to try somewhere new that's vaguely localish.
OP MikeR 13 May 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Just back from there now. I'd definitely recommend the place. It was nowhere near as vegetated as I was expecting, hardly at all in fact. The rock was a little suspect in places, and the grades felt a bit off, some harder, some much easier, but the climbing was really good and plenty of good natural lines. All pretty much as Stuart S reported.
 alasdair19 13 May 2016
In reply to MikeR:

My good friend Duncan who lives locally has done a lot of cleaning and development he'll delighted that you liked it. It's generally been him and which ever mates are passing so yes the grading is inevitably best guess.

Did you bring pads and highball stuff?
OP MikeR 13 May 2016
In reply to alasdair19:

No we were just leading. I'm sure some more visits will give a bit more consensus on the grades.

It was a lot better than I was expecting, don't know why I've not been before.
 Andy Nisbet 13 May 2016
In reply to MikeR:

I believe Julian Lines has written a guide to it, but I don't have a link.
OP MikeR 13 May 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks Andy, although the guide linked above served us pretty well.
 Andy Nisbet 14 May 2016
In reply to MikeR:

Sorry I didn't look at the link (it was late). Yes, I think that's the one written by Julian Lines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...