UKC

Bouldering recommendations near A66 / A1M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 13 May 2016
Hi all,

I'm going along the A66 later today an then down the M1 and off to just E of Thirsk. I'd like to stop off somewhere for some bouldering on the way, ideally somewhere on the A66 for a late afternoon session, then for an evening session near(ish) Thirsk.

Can anyone recommend good (=easy) bouldering with good landings (important as no mat) and given the timescales not too much of a diversion and/or walk in (although I could be happy to get off the beaten track for a worthwhile spot).

Cheers,

Lex
 Alex the Alex 13 May 2016
In reply to lex:

Sliptones or Scugdale would both fit perfectly. Lush evening venues, loads of short soloing, 5-10min from the car.
 ActionSte 13 May 2016
In reply to lex:

Roundhill, Slipstones both good options, scugdale isnt as friendly and might feel a little bit out of the way
 Alex the Alex 13 May 2016
In reply to ActionSte:

A bit further away, but i found it just as friendly. Maybe a tad higher but the sandstone was kinder on the fingers, slabbier and generally more positive. Stiffer grades at Slipstones too.
OP lex 13 May 2016
In reply to Alex the Alex:

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions. Which Scugdale are you talking about? There are a few choices on the logbooks.
Unfortunately, I smashed my phone the other day so I'm printing out the suggestions and taking them with me. Roundhill looks great, but its good to have options depending on when I get there,
Cheers,

Lex
 ActionSte 13 May 2016
In reply to lex:

It will be scots crag & barkers crag. If you head up there, head to the blacksmiths arms in swainby for dinner afterwards. Good pub & great food!
 phleppy 13 May 2016
In reply to lex:

For Scugdale you want Scot Crags and Barkers Crag, they're both next to eachother, yes some of it's high but there's plenty of low stuff all over the place at each. Nice to see people recommend Round Hill, a great little bouldering venue!
OP lex 15 May 2016
In reply to lex:

Hi all,

Thanks to those who replied.

In the end I ran out of time on the Friday, but went to RoundHill on Sunday on the way back. Lovely venue, great landings, enough problems that I could actually do, ace views and great soundtrack from lapwings, curlews and oystercatchers. Thanks for the suggestion, it was nice to go somewhere that isn't on everyone's radar, like the nearby Slipstones.

Cheers,

Lex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...