UKC

A cashless society

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 13 May 2016
Very interested in your views on this.

Whose interests do you really think a cashless society serve?
 cander 13 May 2016
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

How do I get those nice Irish lads to tarmac my drive without a bundle of tenners!
 The Lemming 13 May 2016
In reply to cander:

I believe that they are quite partial to potatoes.
 Frank4short 13 May 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> I believe that they are quite partial to potatoes.

And dick of the day post goes to The Lemming

It certainly serves the banks interests. They make a percentage on every card transaction made.
 summo 13 May 2016

Won't happen in the UK until there is a change minimum transaction fees, or legislation related to it.
 Lord_ash2000 13 May 2016
In reply to summo:

Agreed, they can only charge now because it's seen as some king of additional payment service to offer customers. If we went completely cashless then it would be the default payment method so I guess the whole payment system for debit cards would have to be funded differently, either paid for in someway by the government to operate the system or brought in house and made public.
afghanidan 13 May 2016

In Iceland I was told "only tourists and dealers use cash now...". This raises a number of concerns about the cashless society in my mind.
In reply to afghanidan:

So the dealers only sell to tourists
 yorkshireman 13 May 2016
In reply to afghanidan:

> In Iceland I was told "only tourists and dealers use cash now...". This raises a number of concerns about the cashless society in my mind.

We went to Iceland last summer for a week. We didn't use cash once and I couldn't even tell you what it looked like there. From hiring a car, buying internal flights, right down to a 50p coffee from a vending machine and my wife using a pay-for loo in the middle of nowhere there was absolutely no need for cash of any kind.

I travel to Hungary a lot for business and colleagues there told me that the government tracks cash withdrawals from machines so that they can reconcile these with your tax returns.

I probably only use cash in about 5% of my daily transactions. Buying bread in the bakery, or at the market are the main ones - a few coins for tips at meals maybe - even cabs are tipped electronically with Hailo for instance.
 summo 13 May 2016
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> Agreed, they can only charge now because it's seen as some king of additional payment service to offer customers. If we went completely cashless then it would be the default payment method so I guess the whole payment system for debit cards would have to be funded differently, either paid for in someway by the government to operate the system or brought in house and made public.

the government won't pay, the consumer will pay, either directly or indirectly.

Sweden, has no public facing card transaction fees etc.. businesses aren't allowed to have a card fee or minimum transaction. So you can pay for anything, no matter how small by card. But, there is still cash, especially tourist & seasonal places, many of which only deal in cash. I imagine most business simply charge a very slight amount more for goods, as the banking fees are just a business expense to cover. Most banks charge an annual fee for your card though, roughly £20.

Some banks have gone almost cashless, others still handle it over the counter. Each is finding their own niche and consumers have moved around to the ones that suit them. The use of cheques or their equiv. is very rare indeed, you either pay upfront, or 28 days invoicing & then pay online for most things.

There is no coin below the equiv of 10p though. Everything is rounded up or down. Price in the shops might show smaller denominations, but at the till it's the rounding of the total value of all goods that dictates the price you pay. The situation in the Uk where people pay for fuel by cash and are trying to click to nearest penny is pretty pointless when you consider the value of the money involved, just to avoid a pocket full of shrapnel.

I have no idea why the UK doesn't scrap the 1,2 and 5p coins, near worthless individually.

summo 13 May 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:
> I travel to Hungary a lot for business and colleagues there told me that the government tracks cash withdrawals from machines so that they can reconcile these with your tax returns.

in Sweden if you have a turnover through your tills of more than roughly £40k a year, then your till is live linked to the tax authorities. They don't track who buys what, but the business's tax declaration needs to match what's travelled through the till.
 The Lemming 13 May 2016
In reply to Frank4short:
> And dick of the day post goes to The Lemming

And why am I a dick?
Post edited at 15:39
In reply to The Lemming:

Because you need telling why!
 The Lemming 13 May 2016
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

> Because you need telling why!

Yes I do!

Why was I singled out for my comment yet the poster above me was not?
 bouldery bits 13 May 2016
In reply to afghanidan:

> In Iceland I was told "only tourists and dealers use cash now...". This raises a number of concerns about the cashless society in my mind.

Well don't shop at Iceland then.

Jeez!
 Indy 13 May 2016

Until I can go into my local corner shop newsagents and buy my morning paper or a pint of milk with contactless then cashless wan't happen. Maybe in 10 years it'll be a conversation worth having though.
 FactorXXX 13 May 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Why was I singled out for my comment yet the poster above me was not?

Maybe Frank4short has got a chip on his shoulder?
 wbo 13 May 2016
In reply to Indy:
You can't?

Card payments aren't contactless in Norway but they are the norm. I haven't used cash for a long time
 Rob Exile Ward 13 May 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

You surely aren't that stupid. Because you suggested that Irish are happy to be paid in potatoes. That's a joke that was current 170 odd years ago, when the Irish were dying from lack of potatoes.
Pan Ron 13 May 2016

Been normal in New Zealand since the late 80s I think. Surprised it has taken so long to get something even remotely close here in the UK, especially as London considers itself the home of banking.
 Yanis Nayu 13 May 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I can't remember which Irish comedian it was who said only in Ireland could people starve because there was no spuds when they're surrounded by the sea.
 Dax H 13 May 2016

It is inevitable that it will happen one day but I think that day is a long way away.
Was it last year that the natwest system fell over and no one could use their cards?
Mobile phone payment is okay until you drop your phone or it goes flat.

On the other hand I recently discovered touch payments and it's great but I always have £40 or so in my wallet just in case.
 The Lemming 13 May 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> You surely aren't that stupid. Because you suggested that Irish are happy to be paid in potatoes.

Being somebody who was born on the island of Ireland, I do KNOW that fact.

Even so, I don't think I should have been singled out for ridicule. My joke was about potatoes while the contributor above me gets off Scott free for their comments.

Big Ger 13 May 2016

"Sorry, got no cash mate, only cards", is a very handy excuse.
Removed User 13 May 2016

Just fine till your bank decides its time for a negative interest rate...
Bogwalloper 13 May 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

>

> Maybe Frank4short has got a chip on his shoulder?

Frank had a chip on his shoulder 10 years ago - he ain't mellowed.

wally

> Very interested in your views on this.

> Whose interests do you really think a cashless society serve?

Anyone whose life would be made easier. It would suit me but I can't see it working in GB anytime soon. Getting a population our size to adapt to this would take quite a time.......
Jim C 14 May 2016
In reply to cander:

> How do I get those nice Irish lads to tarmac my drive without a bundle of tenners!

Who will then fly tip the spoil , and let the local taxpayers pick up the cleanup bill.
Sounds like a cashless society might be a tidier one.
Jim C 14 May 2016

If Britain goes for the Brexit there will be no need for cash or cards, there will be no, sun, no flowers, no bees, no breeze , we will all be eating bread and cheese.

It's true.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...