UKC

Holiday before a marathon..how much damage?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have an opportunity to enter next years London marathon through a charity and am quite keen to have a go (would be first time). I have run a few half marathons and a couple of fell races in the last few years and am currently just starting to get back into running after a 6 month lay off with a knee injury. I am entered in to the Royal Parks half marathon in October ...but this is all back story.....the question is this....If I had managed to get in decent training and was achieving my training goals up to a few weeks before the marathon, what sort of damage could a luxury holiday in Thailand do two weeks beforehand? I doubt I would be doing any running on holiday, I expect I will be drinking a bit and laying around eating in the sunshine (it's a special holiday with lots of family all flying in from around the world to meet up in a luxury villa with full works). I would arrive home 5 days beforehand and would have to consider some jet lag. Without knowing how much I will misbehave on the two weeks it's just a guess, but was wondering if anyone could share any experiences of running a marathon after behaving like a slob just beforehand for a fortnight? Would it be a mistake?
 Owen W-G 13 May 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:
Enjoy your holiday. You don't get to go on a luxury hol to Thailand every year. Besides, the food there is healthy and it's a bit too hot to get riotously drunk.

Your time will be a bit slower but, frankly, who gives a shit. It gives you a time to beat when you run your second marathon.
Post edited at 13:34
 The New NickB 13 May 2016
Your holiday would fall in what most people consider the taper period, so effectively your training should done and you are resting your body. The question is how much damage will you do boozing and overeating and only you can answer that.

Generally speaking two weeks of eating and drinking isn't great preparation.

It also depends what your ambitions are for the marathon.
Post edited at 13:39
 Neil Williams 13 May 2016

Depends on you as an individual. I seem to be able to get away with running a (4:36 last time I tried) marathon without any specific training beyond doing boot camps and a bit of general running, and I doubt a holiday would affect that all that much. However, if you do do training leading up to it...sounds fine to me unless the time is your absolute priority.
 mountainbagger 13 May 2016

I reckon it'll be fine if you've done all the training before you go. You might feel a bit sluggish maybe, but you won't lose much fitness in the two weeks leading up to the big day. Might want to try a couple of short quick runs (easier to fit in) to stay sharp if you can.

I got my half marathon PB after a terrible weekend of excess the week before. I thought I'd messed up my chances so turned up on race day (with a bit of a sore throat as well) not expecting much. Very surprised by the result!
In reply to mountainbagger:

All my Parkrun PBs so far have been after a night on the ale... this might be a coincidence or might be all the sugar in the alcohol
In reply to The New NickB:

Having never done a marathon before, my bar is set quite low....basically finish. I'm not worried about any target time but would be definitely trying to be sub 4 hours if possible.

Also, in reality the holiday wouldn't be that boozy other than a few big nights I would expect (lots of kids in tow) and I would be booze free for the 5 days leading up to the run.

As you say, if the prep up to that point has been good, then possibly not too much damage done.
In reply to mountainbagger:

Listening to you and Neil, it seems it could be the best place to taper...fully reclined with a cold beer and lots of thai curry.

Sounds quite good to me
Rigid Raider 13 May 2016
I cycle regularly and have a good level of fitness but all that gets interrupted every few weeks by a 2 week business trip to Africa, where I drink a lot of beer and eat too much hotel food and only walk five yards from hotel to car to office and back again. When I get back I find I've lost the cardio-vascular fitness but that comes back quickly. As I age I find I'm putting on more and more weight during the two week trips, getting rid of which which requires discipline. However my cycling muscles feel rested and strong.

Forget any idea of exercising during your trip as hotel gyms are dreadful places and you risk an injury on the machines. Just walking up the hotel stairs 2-3 times a day will help keep your leg muscles in trim and your CV rate from dying.
Post edited at 14:04
 bouldery bits 13 May 2016

I reckon you'll be alreet. You'll be in your taper period anyway. Get a bit of swimming in maybe? Just to keep the clock ticking over.
 Roadrunner5 13 May 2016

All your long runs would be done.

I don't think it would do much damage to most runners, if you can get out for a quick 3-4 miles every other day. Tbh I think your body will want to if you've been training.
 DancingOnRock 13 May 2016

'Just finish' and 'Sub 4 hours' are not good bedfellows.

What's your half time?

I suspect if you've trained properly with an aim to go sub 4, you will find that you won't go mad in Thailand and you'll actually be driving yourself bonkers because you can't get out and finish that last 3 weeks of decent taper running.

The taper is the hardest thing to get right.
In reply to DancingOnRock:

My best half time was 1hr 35mins but that was a couple of years ago. Best 10k 42 mins. My standard "comfortable" running pace is around 7.5 min miles...but how long can I keep that up for?
 digby 13 May 2016
If you really enjoy running why on earth would you stop on holiday? Assuming it's a safe place to run what is more fun than running in a new environment?
And as others have said, after all the training involved, you will want to be running.
Post edited at 15:33
In reply to digby:

Don't know what Thailand is like weather wise in March. My friend went there in September just before the GNR and she found running very difficult. Not least as she's a lone woman when running.
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Phuket in April is average 29 in a range of 24-33 degrees according to google.

Ouch. Indoor gym in your hotel?
In reply to Neil Williams:

jogging through the pool I'm thinking...resistance work
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Ouch. Indoor gym in your hotel?

I think that's what she did in the end.
 Rob Parsons 13 May 2016

> ...the question is this ... If I had managed to get in decent training and was achieving my training goals up to a few weeks before the marathon, what sort of damage could a luxury holiday in Thailand do two weeks beforehand? ... I expect I will be drinking a bit and laying around eating in the sunshine ... in a luxury villa with full works ...

Speaking as a professional: that sounds like terrible preparation, and I strongly advise you not to do it.

However, since I'm a friend, I can help: I hereby volunteer to take that luxury, two-weeks, all-inclusive, eating-and-drinking holiday in the sun on your behalf. And you can stay here to complete your training.

You should then be in great shape. Good luck in the race, feller!
In reply to Rob Parsons:

LOL,

Careful what you wish for...you need to factor in my three kids, wife plus my in laws and another four kids

I will probably end up telling them i'm going for a training run and just walking down to the beach for some peace and quiet....actually not a bad idea.
 Roadrunner5 13 May 2016

> LOL,

> Careful what you wish for...you need to factor in my three kids, wife plus my in laws and another four kids

> I will probably end up telling them i'm going for a training run and just walking down to the beach for some peace and quiet....actually not a bad idea.

One of the teachers just did a 10 mile race on her birthday.. She was so looking forwards to a good 2 hours of not having her 2 young kids hanging on her..
> Phuket in April is average 29 in a range of 24-33 degrees according to google.

That's fine, a few miles at marathon target pace before the day properly hots up will be fine.
Post edited at 17:08
XXXX 13 May 2016

Do a different marathon. One that is the week before you go on holiday would be ideal. Then you can have a guilt free holiday.

Brighton would be about the right time off the top of my head.

> My best half time was 1hr 35mins but that was a couple of years ago. Best 10k 42 mins.

Sub 4 isn't a particularly hard target then as long as you do the training prior to the holiday and don't drink so much that you get liver failure.
In reply to The New NickB:

Agreed, your 10K and half are a lot quicker than mine, so that would seem achievable.

The only other caveat I'd have is the timing of the holiday with ramping up your charity fundraising efforts. Traditionally it's when the marathon hype starts on the TV etc that people start increasing requests for donations.

You'll be away then.
Bogwalloper 13 May 2016

Are you expecting to win the marathon? If so I'd sack the holiday and keep on training.

Wally
 london_huddy 14 May 2016

I just ran the Pittsburgh marathon (hilly) after very little training for the last 3 weeks (illness and admin got in the way) and while I suffered round in a slow time, it was still better than binning it. Agree with whoever said that it'll give you a time to beat next time around. If you're reasonable fit anyway, do some good training before the holiday and don't completely binge, you'll be fine. Oh, and get the nutrition right in the days immediately before the race, it'll make all the difference.
 yorkshireman 14 May 2016

It sounds like you've already made your mind up that you won't be running but I would think that if you're training well you will want to get out there a few days a week and it would be silly not to try - an hour each morning before it gets too hot is hardly going to impinge on your enjoyment much - especially if you're lounging around all day.

I travel a lot for work and love getting out to run in different places and almost never use the hotel gym. Admittedly not Thailand, but Atlanta in August is a humid hell on earth but still preferable to a treadmill!

Take your gear and try to get out - if your taper is anything like mine you'll be twitching and dying to get out and it will be a welcome psychological break from all the family.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...