UKC

Mobility Scooters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 16 May 2016

I'm convinced that quite a few people use mobility scooters as a cheap form of local transport. No licence; no road fund; no insurance. I've seen people come out of cafes, shops and pubs with no obvious indication of a disability(ok I know you can't always judge) get on a scooter and belt off down the road.

This morning I saw one driven by a woman of about thirty five with a boy of about ten standing on the scooter in front of her.

Scroll down to "Misuse of Mobility Scooters"
http://www.cararena.co.uk/blog/misuse-of-mobility-scooters/
Surely there should be checks in place to make sure that people acquiring them have a genuine need for them. I would have thought that some sort of medical certificate would be obvious.
Post edited at 17:48
 MG 16 May 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

> Surely there should be checks in place to make sure that people acquiring them have a genuine need for them.

Why?

Ridge 16 May 2016
In reply to MG:

I've often thought one would make an excellent method of getting home from the pub...
ultrabumbly 16 May 2016
In reply to Ridge:

I'm waiting until they can be automated
OP FesteringSore 16 May 2016
In reply to Ridge:

> I've often thought one would make an excellent method of getting home from the pub...

I do even wonder whether some people use them in order to circumvent the drink/drive laws
 Andypeak 16 May 2016

No licence; no road fund; no insurance.

Bit like a push bike then.
OP FesteringSore 16 May 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:

> No licence; no road fund; no insurance.

> Bit like a push bike then.

Except that they are "motorized"
 Ridge 16 May 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:

However the trip home from the pub wouldn't involve Mrs Ridge strangling me by hanging onto the collar of my jacket whilst delivering a constant stream of complaints about the saddle being "like a ****ing razor blade"...
 WildCamper 16 May 2016

A local woman was prosecuted for riding hers pissed...
 ianstevens 16 May 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:

I'm amazed a snide "cylists are tw*ts" post took 6 replies to turn up. Thought it would be fewer.
 MonkeyPuzzle 16 May 2016

Get one if you're jealous. If you're not, get over it.
 MG 16 May 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Err, pretty sure that post was saying scooters are like bikes so why expect then to be licenced, not that cyclists are tw*ts.

Good going with the chip on the shoulder and paranoia though.!
Jim C 16 May 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:

But push bikes are illegal to ride on the pavement.
 Nicola 16 May 2016

People had been using them as to circumvent drink driving rules. A few years ago it was made illegal to use one of you do not have a disability affecting mobility. In the same way that you don't need a driving licence to buy a car, or a TV license to buy a TV, you don't need to prove disability to buy one.
 jkarran 16 May 2016

> Except that they are "motorized"

So is an electric bike. Big deal.
Jk
 JEF 16 May 2016
In reply to andy.smythe:

Except fatties don't do push bikes
Post edited at 20:24
 Andypeak 16 May 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> I'm amazed a snide "cylists are tw*ts" post took 6 replies to turn up. Thought it would be fewer.

I never said that. I like cycling.
 Andypeak 16 May 2016
In reply to Jim C:

Only if the footpath is next to a road.
 Dax H 16 May 2016
In reply to Nicola:

I don't know about cars but when I have bought new (not second hand) motorbikes I have been asked to produce my licence and when I got a vcr when living at my girlfriend's I got a letter there a few weeks later saying I needed a TV licence.
 cander 17 May 2016
In reply to Ridge:

They don't - Mrs C had the pleasure of nicking a bloke blind drunk on a mobility scooter a few years ago - made the Cumberland news - oh how we ribbed her
 cander 17 May 2016
In reply to Nicola:

> People had been using them as to circumvent drink driving rules.

Not true

Rob Parsons 17 May 2016
In reply to Ridge:

> I've often thought one would make an excellent method of getting home from the pub...

After his then wife had hidden the keys to all of his cars, the late great country singer George Jones once rode his powered motor mower *eight miles* down the road in order to buy booze.
 the sheep 17 May 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

In the same manner didn't the Wales rugby player Andy Powell drive a golf buggy, pi55ed along a motorway?
 Ridge 17 May 2016
In reply to cander:

> They don't - Mrs C had the pleasure of nicking a bloke blind drunk on a mobility scooter a few years ago - made the Cumberland news - oh how we ribbed her

Looks like I need a Plan C...
 Greasy Prusiks 17 May 2016

You really can't tell people don't have a need for them just by looking at them. It's not you can't always tell it's that you can't tell.
 cander 18 May 2016
In reply to Ridge:

Plan A, B or C Doesn't matter - most drink drivers get dobbed in by other people in the pub or who see a drunk getting into a car - take a taxi.
 Ridge 18 May 2016
In reply to cander:

I wasn't being entirely serious...
 cander 18 May 2016
In reply to Ridge:

I know but its not widely known that most drink drivers do get dobbed in - or it is round here. The "gentleman" on the mobility scooter was staggering around before going into the village shop to get a bottle of hootch mid afternoon - the shopkeeper did for him! you should have heard the howls from the local half wits writing into the news and star about the nasty police arresting disabled people and what harm could he do to anyone on a mobility scooter - bloody cumbrians - were a bit to inbred for our own good! If a crime is reported to the police they have to do something about it, particularly in a part of the world where crime is low.
ruffydd 18 May 2016
In reply to cander:

> If a crime is reported to the police they have to do something about it, particularly in a part of the world where crime is low.

Not if they're busy apparently....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-36313944
Lusk 18 May 2016
In reply to ruffydd:

Classic Hot Fuzz, Yaarrp.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...