UKC

Hauling calculation???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 18 May 2016
So, if I've got a mechanical trolley that can pull 1000kg on flat ground (tarmac road). what is the haulage power lost for pulling something up a 10 degree slope? Is there a formula to figure this one out?
 krikoman 18 May 2016
In reply to Derry:

> So, if I've got a mechanical trolley that can pull 1000kg on flat ground (tarmac road). what is the haulage power lost for pulling something up a 10 degree slope? Is there a formula to figure this one out?

yes
 krikoman 18 May 2016
In reply to Derry:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/calculating-the-force-needed-to-move-an-object-up-.html

22 seconds to type and find it with Google.
Post edited at 11:43
 bigbobbyking 18 May 2016
In reply to krikoman:

It's easy to work out the force required to move an object up a slope. What's more tricky is working out what force your mechanical trolley is producing. It can move a 1000kg on flat ground, but without knowing what kind of acceleration and friction are involved you can't workout how much of a difference the slope will make.

In a very low friction example like pushing something over ice a very small force will make the object move. But add a tiny slope and that small force won't be able to stop the object sliding down the slope.

Contrast with a high friction example. If your trolley can move it on the flat then the addition of a small slope doesn't add much and you'll still move.

All this is just from a theoretical point of view... Someone with a practical understanding of what trolley you're using might be more help
 jkarran 18 May 2016
In reply to bigbobbyking:

> It's easy to work out the force required to move an object up a slope. What's more tricky is working out what force your mechanical trolley is producing. It can move a 1000kg on flat ground, but without knowing what kind of acceleration and friction are involved you can't workout how much of a difference the slope will make.

> ... Someone with a practical understanding of what trolley you're using might be more help

Spot on.

OP: RTM or call the trolley manufacturer/supplier.
jk
Jim C 18 May 2016
In reply to Derry:

Go on tell us the manufacturer/model , so that Kirkoman can look it up for you

deepsoup 18 May 2016
In reply to Derry:

If you take g as 9.81 meters per second squared then raising 1000kg through 1m of vertical ascent requires 9.81kJ of energy.

Power is a measure of energy over time, so depends on how fast you're moving.

1mph = 0.447 meters per second and sin(10 degrees) = 0.174 so the trolley moving at 1mph is equivalent to a rate of ascent of 0.447 x 0.174 = 0.0776 m/s

So at 1mph the power required ascending a 10 degree slope over and above that required on the flat is 0.0776 x 9810 = 761W. At 2mph, twice that, at 3mph three times.. you get the picture.

But as bigbobbyking points out above, if it's a practical question this theoretical blah is probably not going to help you. Your question doesn't contain enough information for anyone to give you an answer that's actually useful to you in the real world.

krikoman 18 May 2016
In reply to bigbobbyking:

> It's easy to work out the force required to move an object up a slope. What's more tricky is working out what force your mechanical trolley is producing. It can move a 1000kg on flat ground, but without knowing what kind of acceleration and friction are involved you can't workout how much of a difference the slope will make.

doesn't the word trolley give you a clue?

I'd expect very low friction so you'll be pulling the load up the incline.
Of course I could be wrong, that's for the OP to decide, but given the information provided, it wouldn't be very hard to come up with a reasonable suggestion.
Lusk 18 May 2016
In reply to krikoman:

> doesn't the word trolley give you a clue?

Unless it's like my sack truck where the wheels only turn when it's got something really heavy on it!
 krikoman 18 May 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Unless it's like my sack truck where the wheels only turn when it's got something really heavy on it!

how big's your sack!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...