UKC

Fontainebleau - No car - central accommodation tips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coco.nymph 18 May 2016
So I'm looking to head out to Font for the first time end of August. I won't have a car. Looking for some basic and cheap accommodation that's fairly central for travelling to and from boulders on foot.

Would love any and all advice!

Not bothered by the faff of getting too Font from Paris, just the day to day, boulder to boulder distance.

Thank you in advance
 ByEek 18 May 2016
In reply to coco.nymph:

Crumbs - you could be in for a lot of walking. The climbing area around Font is massive. There are a few places within walking distance from Fontainbleu itself, but they aren't much to write home about. Nemours similarly has cheap hotels with the odd one or two places within reach. Finally, there is the campsite at Milly la Foret that has most of the Cul du Chien and associated areas within easy walk. But getting to Milly won't be easy unlike Font or Nemours.

Of course there is always hitching which should be feasible given the number of fellow climbers in the area. It will certainly be an adventure for you, but I reckon most of the adventure will be in getting to places... and then back again, rather than the actual climbing. Do you not have a mate with a car?

Good luck!
 Trangia 18 May 2016
In reply to ByEek:
> Do you not have a mate with a car?

Or a bicycle? If so you could consider Formula1 in Nemours for cheap accommodation. As ByEek says the climbing area is huge and quite impracticable for what you have in mind. Unfortunately public transport options are not good
Post edited at 17:25
OP coco.nymph 18 May 2016
In reply to ByEek:

Thank you, will look at options for getting to Milly la Foret.
 stp 18 May 2016
In reply to coco.nymph:

At Cuvier its possible to just doss in the forest if the weather is good. Not much choice for food as I remember, one little shop, and you can't wash either. But I was stuck there for about 10 days with some mates and we managed OK - though were totally desperate for a shower by the end. Plenty of climbing if you've not been before.
OP coco.nymph 18 May 2016
In reply to coco.nymph:

So after a lot of help of lovely people like yourselves i think i am looking at going to Toussan and staying in The House. There's a train station so simple. Plus on the doorstep of Trois Pignons which has plenty to keep me occupied for 4 days even if i don't venture any further.
 Neil Amos 18 May 2016
In reply to coco.nymph:

Not that much on the doorstep
 chrisprescott 18 May 2016
In reply to coco.nymph:

The first time I went to Font 8 or 9 years ago we got the train from Paris to Fontainebleau-Avon then got a taxi (which was pretty expensive) to the La Musardiere campsite and stayed there for a week. We didn't find it a problem walking from there into the Trois Pignons (Cul de Chien, 95.2 etc) each day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...