UKC

Here's to cake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 21 May 2016

So the glory of cake has been disparaged here of late. Cake has been a high calorie staple of mine in climbing since I discovered fruit cake or malt loaf and similar can be eaten without it freezing solid on winter routes or melting/crushing to a mush in summer.

So let's here it from those who also love their cake and what their favourite is and some cake related stories (linked to climbing if possible).

On a moorland edge, now quite a few years ago, a certain husky of this parish managed to organise a huge amount of cleaning and checking on one of the few days in a year that a local crag was open under access agreements. It was one of the best open air parties linked to good climbing deeds that I have been to. It was fueled significantly by cake. The crag was Shooter's Nab so when you climb there, eat cake in tribute.

Shooter's Nab

Malt loaf is OK but proper rich fruit cake is my favourite.
Post edited at 11:30
 jon 21 May 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> So let's here it...

Oooops.
OP Offwidth 21 May 2016
In reply to jon:

I need glasses to proof read properly on a tablet...back to cake.
 jon 21 May 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Sometime back in the 70s I went to the alps for a month and took 28 malt loaves with me. I've never been able to look one in the face since...!
OP Offwidth 21 May 2016
In reply to jon:

I sympathise, mass maltloaf kidnapping is not a victimless crime.
Gone for good 21 May 2016
In reply to Offwidth:
I was climbing tower ridge one summer evening and was desperate for a dump from the Douglas gap until we topped out. Walking back down hill gravity took over and the, ahem, outcome bore a strong resemblance to the 3 slices of delicious carrot cake I'd eaten earlier that day.
It's still my go to cake.....suitable for all occasions!
Post edited at 12:05
 jon 21 May 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

On the last day of that holiday we did the N ridge of the Badile and as was usual at the time went down the other side and went left and back over the Falso Passo di Bondo, spending a very hungry and thirsty night in the little bivvy hut on the Passo - long since run out of hill food and no water - managed to melt a bit of snow with the heat of a candle found in the hut. Next day bundled everything into our car and raced towards the channel and home. Unpacking my sac some days later I found the 28th malt loaf at the bottom...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...