UKC

Advice needed about lack of water supply in a rented property

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Birks 23 May 2016
Looking for advice....I live in a rented flat from a private landlord but managed by a housing authority.

About 3 weeks ago the water flow started to reduce dramatically to basically a trickle...takes about 3 mins to fill up the kettle.

Informed the landlord on the 7th May and since then there has been a back and forth between landlord and housing authority about who's fault it is. Its isolated to our flat- neighbours supply is fine apparently. Most recent update from last Tuesday is landlord has arranged plumber to visit tomorrow.

I was away this weekend (climbing in n.Wales, lovely) and returned to find that we had had no water since Saturday morning. My housemates are too afraid to go postal on this as they think the landlord will put up rents in the long term but Im beyond annoyed.

Any advice on rights to water in a rented property, appropriate compensation that I could/should claim and what part of my climbing rack I should throw at the landlord when he eventually turns up.

Cheers
 itsThere 23 May 2016
In reply to Birks:

Drink your open piss, it's not like you can tell the difference in London.
 Trangia 23 May 2016
In reply to Birks:
Your Landlord is is breach of Sect 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Acts.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/disrepa...

He is responsible for carrying out repair to the water pipework and he cannot put the rent up or try and recoup the costs of repair from you by any other means.

If he doesn't sort this out immediately inform him, in writing, that you are taking the matter to a solicitor and that you will hold him responsible for any legal fees you may incur.

If this doesn't work, get legal advice.

Confirm everything relating to this matter in writing to the Landlord.

Do not be tempted to withhold rent without getting legal advice
Post edited at 16:40
 Mike Stretford 23 May 2016
In reply to Birks:
You have an appalling landlord. I rent a flat out and try to sort problems like this ASAP . I can't see why he couldn't have had a plumber on the the 8th.

What's making your house-mates so nervous, is it a London thing?

Hate bad landlords I'm going to ad them to TC's list.
Post edited at 16:39
 marsbar 23 May 2016
In reply to Birks:

Try a hex.

Hope you get it sorted, totally unacceptable. I wouldn't be paying any rent until it is. You could also try environmental health at the council who can put pressure on your landlord if needed. I think they would probably deem no water = uninhabitable.
 Mike00010 24 May 2016
In reply to Birks:

I've been renting a property out in London for the last few years and any issue like this I would have had to have sorted out asap otherwise expected to be liable for temporary accommodation for the tenants. If it's only stopped on Saturday and he gets a plumber out to fix it today or tomorrow then I'd suggest give him some slack in order to maintain a good relationship but set a clear deadline in writing and if it looks like he's going to breach it get a solicitor.

Also with regards to the rental issue I'm not sure about the terms for managed by a housing authority properties but you should be expecting an increase of 5% or more on the rental each year in London anyway. If it's not gone up anything near that amount over the past couple of years it'd be worth been ready for a big jump as London rentals are still increasing at a crazy rate.
 EdS 24 May 2016
In reply to Birks:

Contact local Environmental Health. If there is no water they have a Statutory Duty to serve an Environmental Protection Act 1990 s80 notice as the property is deemed to be "any premises in such a state as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance" as per sec. 70 (1) (a)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...