UKC

Kid friendly crags near Arnside?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Family holiday next week. I'm after a decent top roping venue for a group of kids, near as possible to Arnside/Silverdale. Ideally it'd be pleasant to hang around at having a picnic, and nice and safe for the kids who aren't climbing (flat grassy base?)... plus close as possible to the car as we're talking very small children and they'll probably have had enough being dragged up hills on our non-climbing days. Diffs and VDiffs would do us fine. I've not been to anything in that area. Fairy Steps?

Thanks for any advice
 deacondeacon 23 May 2016
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Hutton roof would be perfect
In reply to deacondeacon:

Ah, that's the only one I've actually been to near there. Was thinking it might be a bit uphill, but if it's our best bet as a crag then probably worth making them walk
 Stu Tyrrell 23 May 2016
 Stu Tyrrell 23 May 2016
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:
Just a thought, be aware of any loose rocks.
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Thanks Stu, looks interesting
 Rog Wilko 23 May 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:
Hutton Roof, yes. Be careful walking to the crag as it can be hard to find on first acquaintance - kids won't like trailing around after you while you fail to find the crag! Otherwise, not far to Warton. Warton Pinnacle crag is best from the point of view of a suitable foot-of-crag area. Again, quite hard to find! I have just looked at the detailed approach info on here which I submitted a few years back and found it ended in mid sentence! Have corrected this now. Would be interested to hear if my directions work in practice.
Post edited at 19:54
 Dark-Cloud 23 May 2016

Woodwell might be worth a look, also Wharton crags, not been to the lower one behind the pub in years, it probably a teen drinking hang out by now !
 Stu Tyrrell 23 May 2016

I have put on another pic of a good slab area for kids, along the same bit, should be on by morning!
 Baron Weasel 26 May 2016

Lindale slabs might be worth a look. Bolted belays, great for kids, short walk in etc... If you drive along to Grange after you could visit Higginson's award winning pie emporium too!
 Dark-Cloud 26 May 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:

It the other side of the bay to Arnside !!
 Baron Weasel 26 May 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Only 15-20 min by car and ticks lots of boxes as a venue for young kids.
 Baron Weasel 26 May 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

12.1 miles, 20 min according to AA Route Planner... And, that's 12.1 miles closer to Higginsons!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...