UKC

Windows 10 Forced Download/Installation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pyreneenemec 26 May 2016

My apologies if this has already been discussed before.

I'm not interested in debating the merits or otherwise of Microsoft's latest O.S. Windows 10 but really pissed off by their attempt to download/install it without my consent.

This morning I booted my PC and set about my usual daily tasks : feeding the chickens etc etc. When I returned I saw the Windows 10 update on my screen at 8%. I wasn't having this so cut the power. Disconnected from the 'net and rebooted. Windows automatically restored the previous O.S.

A little research on the net provided evidence that Microsoft was indeed forcing people to upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows update wether they wanted to or not. See article on 'How-To-Geek

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading...

I've now installed 'Never 10' . I'm quite happy with Windows 8.1 as I was with XP.
Post edited at 09:40
KevinD 26 May 2016
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

You would have had to click yes to upgrade.
What that article refers to is it downloading it without asking permission which whilst irritating and potentially costly isnt installing.
 LittleRob 26 May 2016
In reply to KevinD:

<<You would have had to click yes to upgrade>>

Not necessarily http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376962
 mullermn 26 May 2016
In reply to KevinD:

This is no longer true. MS are now aggressively pushing the upgrade out as 'recommended', so if you have Windows set to install updates automatically (normally a sensible choice) you can indeed get the entire OS changed without actively accepting it.
OP Pyreneenemec 26 May 2016
In reply to mullermn:

Indeed, when I cut the juice the system was installing the Windows 10 files and I have never said yes.
KevinD 26 May 2016
In reply to mullermn:

hmm thats a recent change. Guess its before they run out of the free upgrade.
 Toccata 26 May 2016

I was similarly cynical until I installed it on one computer. It's so much better than W 7. Now on all the computers.
In reply to Toccata:

> I was similarly cynical until I installed it on one computer. It's so much better than W 7. Now on all the computers.

I'm quite happy to believe you , nevertheless I cannot accept Microsoft's underhand tactics. If they're capable of this with Windows 10 they could impose no end of other 'nasty' bits and pieces.
 NottsRich 26 May 2016
In reply to Toccata:

Agree, I left it until quite recently to upgrade because of all the bugs etc. Can honestly say it's better than W7. Much faster to boot up (compared to a fresh W7 install), quicker to load programs. Even my old copy of Office 2003 still runs on it fine. I disabled a load of annoying things (Cortana, Edge etc) that I didn't want, and removed a load of pre-installed apps/programs/whatever they're called now. There are a few things I prefer about W7, but on the whole W10 is better for me.

I don't like the way they've pushed it out though, and the persistent nature of the popups with no way to disable them/say "I don't want this ever/now".
 ianstevens 26 May 2016

> I'm quite happy to believe you , nevertheless I cannot accept Microsoft's underhand tactics. If they're capable of this with Windows 10 they could impose no end of other 'nasty' bits and pieces.

Such as what? More free updates? How dare they.
 summo 26 May 2016
In reply to Toccata:

> I was similarly cynical until I installed it on one computer. It's so much better than W 7. Now on all the computers.

would agree. I resisted for awhile. I think W7 was so badly supported, they weren't investing anytime in it and moved on 10. Things are better now.

I think Microsoft have realised it's possibly cheaper to give away W10, than to keep paying people to patch up older versions. They could have just stopped supporting W7,8... and then tried to sell W10.
In reply to ianstevens:

> Such as what? More free updates? How dare they.

As a customer who has paid for a product ( that I am completely satified with) I nevertheless wish to retain the right to accept or not modifications to it.

If Microsoft are 'giving it away' it is due to economic factors.
 mullermn 26 May 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Aw, you think Microsoft are doing this for your benefit? That's cute.
 Scomuir 26 May 2016

We've gone to Windows 10 at work, no problem. I resisted the daily message on my PC at home to upgrade, but given the success at work, finally went for it. After all updates were done, the PC became next to useless, with the disk usage more or less constantly sitting at 100%. Hardly anything would open, and if it did, it was painfully slow or would hang. Nothing I could do seemed to make a difference, and eventually reverted to Windows 7, which ironically, worked smoothly.

The message that my PC is compatible with Windows 10 is a joke. I still get the upgrade messages now, still telling me that it is compatible...
 ianstevens 26 May 2016
In reply to mullermn:
> Aw, you think Microsoft are doing this for your benefit? That's cute.

No need to be condescending because I'm not a cynic who thinks the world is out to get me. I had a computer that was slow as sin, upgraded to W10 and now its useable again and takes 20 seconds to turn on rather than 10 minutes. The upgrade scheme is aimed at making their (Microsoft's) lives easier by having everyone on the same OS.
Post edited at 11:54
 ianstevens 26 May 2016

> As a customer who has paid for a product ( that I am completely satified with) I nevertheless wish to retain the right to accept or not modifications to it.

> If Microsoft are 'giving it away' it is due to economic factors.

I can see your argument, but you haven't paid to own a product, you've paid for a license to use software - important distinction. Microsoft are "giving it away" to avoid having to expend time and effort updating old software in the same fashion that they did with XP.
 mullermn 26 May 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Well, maybe the sarcasm was a bit strong, but as someone with long experience in the IT industry I would say that Microsoft definitely are out to get you.

Specifically they'd like some of that juicy money in your wallet, and they think that getting you on Windows 10 will make that easier. They'd also like access to the huge amount of telemetry that Windows 10 spits out about you, even if you ask it not to.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan.
 neuromancer 26 May 2016
The luddites in this thread.

10 is better than 7 or 8. It's literally 7 or 8 with all of the problems patched out of it and a different sticker. People are literally complaining because of what it says on the login screen.

Unless this literally turns out to be skynet you are all idiots. If it turns out to be skynet I am the idiot. I'm happy with those odds.
Post edited at 12:04
 SenzuBean 26 May 2016

I think I noticed something similar the other day, where the update was scheduled but I was pretty sure I didn't click on "Yes, upgrade me". I promptly disabled it, and have now turned off automatic upgrades for the time being. I am still hoping the "free until" date will come, and then they won't be so happy to force upgrades. Somehow a part of me thinks this won't be the case - that the date will just come and go.

Anyway I'd suggest to start reading about Ubuntu as you'd have way more freedom with that. I have it as a second OS and use it occasionally, but if I was forced to Windows 10 I might revert back to full-time use.
 Rob Parsons 26 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

> The luddites in this thread.

You misunderstand the term 'luddites.'

> 10 is better than 7 or 8.

That's a matter of opinion.
 neuromancer 26 May 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:
>misunderstand

No, I'm applying in in the common usage - to imply that people bitching about windows 10 being given to them for free are against technological progress.

Pretty much every single online review agrees that unless you have a very specific piece of software or hardware that is still waiting for a driver, AND you refuse to use 10's compatibility modes or virtualisation then 10 is better.

Anyway I got bored of arguing about operating systems when I was 13 so I'm sorry for putting myself back downrange.

Also I really hope it isn't skynet.
Post edited at 12:26
 ianstevens 26 May 2016
In reply to mullermn:
> Well, maybe the sarcasm was a bit strong, but as someone with long experience in the IT industry I would say that Microsoft definitely are out to get you.

> Specifically they'd like some of that juicy money in your wallet, and they think that getting you on Windows 10 will make that easier. They'd also like access to the huge amount of telemetry that Windows 10 spits out about you, even if you ask it not to.

> I'll be honest, I'm not a fan.

Juicy money grabbing I completely understand - I think most people upgrade their computers on a 3/4 year cycle, so they still get money from people purchasing an new license on this timescale. I fail to see how by "upgrading" (as nueromancer says, its a big patch essentially) makes them get rich directly though. Increased home users = increased enterprise users? I know my workplace avoided Win 8 because it was such a faff to use, and this is obviously experienced by IT techs when at home - I can only assume the idea is that they use Win10, get used to it and hence decide on an upgrade for the work systems = money to Microsoft.

I assume Microsoft also sell this telemetry, they collect - it really doesn't bother me if someone knows I spend my time on the computer on FB, UKC and Strava almost exclusively. I'd also guess its anonymised via data analysis - selling the "raw" data isn't the most useful of analytical products.
Post edited at 13:01
 eltankos 26 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

Don't worry, if it is Skynet you won't be aware of that for too long before you're, at best, a pile of dust.

Not everyone using PC's are as literate as the Microsoft defenders on here. My Dad had the forced install and it reprogrammed all the file formats to open in completely different programs, changed his default browser, has a completely different start menu with none of his shortcuts... etc.

He is retired and takes a long time to learn things. If I wasn't around he would be completely lost on his PC.

He bought and learnt Windows 7. He said no every time it offered an update. It's not acceptable to underhandedly slip such a major change through on people that don't understand it.
 Rob Parsons 26 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

> ... idiots ... people bitching about windows 10 ... etc.

Nice.

The salient issue here is one of free choice: the current forced 'stealth' upgrades are a radical change to the conventional PC experience and, whilst they might suit some, they might well not suit others - particularly if things don't work completely as planned.

Many people with, for example, stable Win7 platforms, might prefer to keep things exactly as they are - and that's a quite reasonable decision.

I note that MS are *not* forcing the Win10 upgrade on Win7 'Enterprise' users.

> Also I really hope it isn't skynet.

I have no idea what 'skynet' is.
Removed User 26 May 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I have no idea what 'skynet' is.

Never seen the Terminator movies?

IMHO Windows 10 is a lot better than Windows 8.1! I'm glad I'm rid of that.

I'd definitely let the upgrade through.
In reply to neuromancer:

> Also I really hope it isn't skynet.

Everyone knows Google is Skynet. They're the one buying up all the robotics and AI businesses.

Rob Parsons 26 May 2016
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> They're the one buying up all the robotics and AI businesses.

But apparently selling Boston Dynamics: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-17/google-is-said-to-put-bos...
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I'm pleased there are some posters echoing my concerns.

As I said in my original post, the question isn't the merits or otherwise of Windows 10, but the freedom of choice denied to many Windows users, especially the more vulnerable or those who are not particularly computer litterate.

I've had no issues with Windows 8.1.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

OMG, I hadn't seen the one that's humanoid!

When it's walking through the snow in that video and I can just imagine it repeating "must terminate humans..."
 Dax H 26 May 2016

It's sneaky and underhanded.
I upgraded my travel laptop to 10 because I find 8.1 to be very unintuitive and I think 10 is an improvement. My work laptop is still on 7 and will stay that way until it dies.
It is as stable as a rock, boots up fast and does exactly what I want it to do so why mess with it.
Like you I have a bit of software running that prevents the upgrade and the popups too.
 Only a hill 26 May 2016

The problem here is not whether or not Windows 10 is 'better' than 7 or 8. The problem is that some older machines are incapable of running it without grinding to a halt, and that Microsoft's tactic of turning the Windows 10 installer into malware is just about the most underhand thing I've ever seen the company do. It's dishonest at best.
 SenzuBean 26 May 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> But apparently selling Boston Dynamics:

Reading the article, and reading between the lines it seems it's particular to Boston Dynamics, which if I'm not mistaken have deep ties with the DoD. It sounds like Google was trying to consumerize the technology, and BD was trying to keep it militarized - and Google is now washing their hands of them as a result of being unable to enforce this change of direction. If my hypothesis is correct - it shows Google is not quite the malevolent skynet-maker its often made out to be.
 Jim Hamilton 26 May 2016

An unwanted attempt to "upgrade" my laptop with Windows 10 left it with a blank screen - can I send MS the bill to get it fixed ?!
 ChrisNaylor 26 May 2016
In reply to summo:

> I think Microsoft have realised it's possibly cheaper to give away W10, than to keep paying people to patch up older versions

This is exactly the reason they're pushing the upgrade and offering it for free.
In reply to summo:

> I think Microsoft have realised it's possibly cheaper to give away W10, than to keep paying people to patch up older versions.

If that were true, there would be no deadline to upgrade. Unless their plan is to simply keep extending the deadline, and the 'deadline' is just a way to encourage people to upgrade sooner/increase takeup.

Living up to my online moniker, I suspect something more underhand is the real cause, and that Win10 provides them with alternative revenue streams (by data exploitation). "You don't get owt for nowt" comes to mind.

Which brings me to the question: "just how new is the Win10 codebase, compared to XP/Vista/2k/7/8, and what new features has it added?"

If it's a matter of patching an old, creaking codebase, or moving on to a bright, shiny new codebase (riddled with as yet undiscovered bugs), then I might accept the premiss of the patch cost. But I suspect that honking great swathes of code are re-used. In which case, what substantive changes actually occur with a 'new release' of an OS? Or is it just smoke and mirrors; "Malibu Stacy, with a new hat"?
 summo 26 May 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Once you disable or turn off a lot of what they now call apps, most of it functions like before, a few modest layout changes, but little differences on the surface.

Microsoft isn't a charity, so they certainly won't be losing out in the long run.
In reply to summo:

My question is really about what's going on under the surface; that's the crucial point for the 'too expensive to maintain' argument. And for the "how much really changes when a 'new' OS is launched?"
 Rob Parsons 26 May 2016
In reply to summo:

> I think Microsoft have realised it's possibly cheaper to give away W10, than to keep paying people to patch up older versions. They could have just stopped supporting W7,8... and then tried to sell W10.

MS are committed to Win7 'Extended Support' (i.e. security patches etc.) until 2020; and the same for W8.1 until 2023 - see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle
 Hooo 26 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

> The luddites in this thread.

> 10 is better than 7 or 8. It's literally 7 or 8 with all of the problems patched out of it and a different sticker. People are literally complaining because of what it says on the login screen.

> Unless this literally turns out to be skynet you are all idiots. If it turns out to be skynet I am the idiot. I'm happy with those odds.

I'm no Luddite, and I have 10 on several machines. I also have to maintain several machines that don't work on Windows 10. Just because it works for you it doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't upgrade is an idiot. Lots of us have perfectly good reasons for sticking with an older OS, and we resent having to jump through hoops just to keep things as they are.
 summo 26 May 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Security patches, aren't the same level of support as making sure it remains functional with newer versions of everything else expected to run it though.
KevinD 26 May 2016
In reply to summo:

Like what?
Whilst IE will fall behind now Edge has taken over there are several other alternatives.
It would be very unlikely any serious kit would be restricted either. Only thing I can think of offhand would be some of the VS developer tools but only those targeted at 8 or 10.
 Hooo 27 May 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Exactly.
In embedded and single-task systems, loads of people are still running XP with no problems and I still see Windows 2000 occasionally. When you have loads of machines out in the field, then the overriding philosophy is "If it works, don't mess with it".
If a user is happy with their Win 7 setup then there is no need to change it for a long time yet.
 ericinbristol 27 May 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Amazing video! Would have been more realistic though if the robot had kicked in the nuts the guy who was nudging the box away

I tried to install Windows 10 on my windows 7 machine. Installation went fine - program startup time was much faster, interface was fairly easy to come to terms with -- then I noticed I'd lost access the internet or my home network. I tried troubleshooting and kept getting an error message saying something like 'fault with local area connection adaptor'. As my laptop (running the much maligned Vista) still had an internet connection I was able to contact both Microsoft, and Asus who made my PC, and neither were able to come up with satisfactory solutions. I then uninstalled windows 10, reverted to 7 and everything is ticketty boo.

As a mate of mine ( who happens to work for Oracle so knows his way around the way software works) has often said "Microsoft - a triumph of mediocrity"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...