UKC

Employment and Support Allowance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 26 May 2016
I'm off work as I've lost my voice. I'm self employed as a driving instructor.

I'm wondering if its worth me claiming any benefits, or if it'll just be a marathon of form filling for little gain. I expect I'll find it tricky to collect evidence without being able to speak.

Does anyone have any experience of Employment and Support Allowance which is what I think I'll be entitled to.

I've been off for three weeks, I've got a months sick-note. I'd expect it will be a couple of months more to recover. I may be able to do a bit of other work, but only the odd day (maybe £50 week on average).
 Dax H 27 May 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

It can be done but I don't know the inns and outs. A mate of mine us a self employed tattoo artist and managed to claim about £60 ish a week for a few months when he smashed his leg in a bike accident.
 marsbar 27 May 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Claims are usually done over the phone so you will need someone to sit with you and answer the questions. It is probably worth claiming now just in case your recovery takes longer ajd you have paid in so why not.
 Graham Mck 27 May 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Yes you may be entitled to ESA. See link:

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/overview

Not sure whether it is backdated though, so get a move on.
 RockAngel 27 May 2016
In reply to Dan Arkle:
It can take 6 weeks for them to sort out a claim for any benefits now so you won't actually get anything til then at the earliest. I'd weigh up how long it will take for you to recover against how long it will take for the claim to be processed. If you need it for rent/council tax rebate claims, get it sorted ASAP because that will take another 6 weeks after you've gotten the ESA sorted to be processed & landlords don't wait for it all to be sorted now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...