UKC

Child friendly crags in the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mango-Bob 28 May 2016
Looking for a child friendly crag in the peak district. Somewhere we can set up a top-rope and introduce the kids to the fun of outdoor climbing.

Any suggestions welcome as I don't know the area.

Thanks in advance
 BoulderGoat 28 May 2016
In reply to Mango-Bob:

I like taking beginner groups to Birchen Edge . The groups aren't children though. The walk in is nice, easy enough to set up top ropes in most places. Reasonable choice of low grade climbs.

Landy_Dom 28 May 2016
In reply to Mango-Bob:

Windgather is pretty good. The walk in is really short, the Base and top are flat and grassy, there's loads of easy climbs. The only challenge is the belays can be tricky to arrange. If you're an experienced climber taking newbies you'll be fine.
 Pbob 28 May 2016
In reply to Mango-Bob:

It's many years since I've climbed there but I often wondered about Pleasly Vale.
 Curlyhelen 28 May 2016
In reply to Mango-Bob:
What about Harborough. Short walk in, short climbs and lots of pockets and holds for little toes .
 BrainoverBrawn 30 May 2016
In reply to Mango-Bob:

Not a fan a top roping myself, seconding aye bring up however many are in your party. But either way I don't see any crag being a problem. You'll find the adult top ropers have taken over everywhere anyway and it's what the elites do anyway so mustn't grumble, oi that urt, oow.. run.
In reply to Mango-Bob: A second for Windgather. That's what it's for really. I take my 12 year old neice there and she loves it. Maybe bits of Burbage are OK but Windgather is guaranteed good easy stuff all the way along.

Offwidth 30 May 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:
Windgather is the best and belays are no issue on the vast majority of routes (I don't understand why this keeps cropping up. ?. Birchen arguably has a lot more belay issues). Harborough is OK but the factory next door isn't so pleasant. Birchen is mostly poor for small kids... too many reachy starts. Stanage has some good quiet lines right of The Unconquerables.

Someone mentioned Pleasley... great for low grade experienced tradsters but not the best idea for groups as the rock isnt always sound enough.
Post edited at 08:15
 bonebag 30 May 2016
In reply to Mango-Bob:

Windgather is an excellent crag for beginners. Was working there yesterday with a group. We didn't hog all the routes either. Plenty to choose from and a very friendly place to climb. The anchors are ok too.
In reply to Mango-Bob:

I think loads o crags fir the bill. I'd say that route selection is harder. If the people have climbed indoors I think it can add to outdoor climbing frustration. So avoid traditional V Diffs and Severes. Try and find more open routes even at the expense of slightly higher grades

We did 2 Hard Severes an an Severe yesterday. My son (19) said after leading one one the Hard Severess, there are loads of V Diffs harder than that

We were at Yarncliffe which would be perfect if it wasn't covered in sand

Yarncliffe
 Jim Walton 31 May 2016
In reply to Mango-Bob:

Very Much depends on the age (size) rather than ability.

As Offwidth says Windgather is great for Kids. It's where I took my 5 yr old first time round. Short easy walk-in with a nice flat grassed area back from the crag where you can picnic without fear of a belay plate coming down on your head. Also as Offwidth says, I found NO issues with belays at the top - -loads to choose from.

Harborough will also work. Granted it's not as picturesque as Windgather but the bubbly pocketed rock means that there are more holds for little hands than on normal grit.

Birchen is rubbish for little kids as the crux of most of the routes is getting off the floor. The fun factor for both kids and parents diminishes if you have to start hauling straight away. How is that fun climbing.

Higgar Tor is actually really good. Loads and loads of 'weaseling' to be done and quite a few short buttresses that are easy if you are 5'10" but a fun challenge if you are 2' 6"!

Burbage North (Ash Tree Wall Area) works as well.

Lawrencefield Roadside Bay has a couple of good easy routes plus a great abseil.

The main thing to remember is that if you are wanting to take the child climbing again, don't overload them at the start. Fun not quantity!!!
OP Mango-Bob 05 Jun 2016
In reply to Mango-Bob:

Thanks for your input everyone. That list should keep us busy for this year.

We had a great day at Windgather. It was busy but we got a nice, quiet section all to ourselves. Belays weren't a problem and never got beyond the most basic. The aspect was lovely in the afternoon sun so even the non-climbers were happy to sit and hang out.

All our party had a good time and are keen to go back and have another go.

Thanks again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...