UKC

Next step?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JJEkland 31 May 2016
Hi all,

I recently came back from a ski touring trip to Norway. My first taste of alpine mountaineering and though it was terrifying at times, I am a little addicted.

I'm just wondering where to go from here to gain experience. I want to climb Mont Blanc next year and want to be prepared enough to do it without a guide.

I have little navigational skills (I'm terrible...) a bit of scrambling experience that I gained on this trip (scrambling over Besseggen ridge and up the ridge of galdhoppigen's summit in ski boots) but nothing too major. Regular hill walking and summiting the mountains of Snowdonia, and my recent 2 week spree of climbing/skiing various things in Norway are about it really.

I was hoping people could point me in the direction of maybe some courses to take to better my skills that aren't extortionate in price or maybe some community meets or something that I can get involved with from time to time.

Also, I was wondering if Mont Blanc is 'safe' to climb solo? My only friend I had as a mountaineering partner is about to move to Canada, so I'm all alone haha!

Any advice on next steps is welcome, I know I'm rather vague, but it's because I don't really know what my options are. I just wanna climb Mont Blanc and then continue from there.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jordan Ekland
 Michael Gordon 31 May 2016
In reply to JJEkland:

Some Scottish winter experience (hills and the odd easier route perhaps) next season would probably be beneficial. Not sure how you are with axe and crampons use and winter mountaineering generally (and navigation is very important) but perhaps a winter skills course and definitely some good hill days, particularly when there's neve about.
 Jasonic 02 Jun 2016
In reply to JJEkland:

Consider the traditional route of joining a local club, good way to meet people and gain skills;

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/find-a-club
Naamah 03 Jun 2016
In reply to JJEkland:
Perhaps look at the courses offered by Plas y Brenin?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...