UKC

PRESS RELEASE: Join the Third Arc'teryx Lakeland Revival

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 01 Jun 2016
Arc'teryx Lakeland Revival, 3 kbAfter two successful years of reviving old classics trad climbs the Arc'teryx Lakeland Revival will take place again but this year a little differently. The Lake District is well known amongst climbers as the birth of British rock climbing. This year the aim is simple, to revive Lake District climbing as a whole, from the people and stories to the rock climbing.

Read more
 Simon Caldwell 02 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Seems to have completely changed tack from the first two years. Most of the routes are trade routes rather than obscurities in need of some TLC, not sure how this is going to achieve much other than lengthening the queues.

And how has Overhanging Bastion ended up on the list, given all the warnings to keep well clear?!?
 3leggeddog 02 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Think of it as an inverse ticklist, avoid these routes if you want a quiet life.

Will next years list include deer bield crack I wonder
 John Kelly 02 Jun 2016
In reply to 3leggeddog:

'deer bield crack' - is that not just 2 boulder problems now
 Mark Eddy 02 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Plenty of the routes listed need no revival! In fact, some are polished horror shows already.
There are many Lakeland crags that would benefit from more traffic though, I thought that was the whole point of this revival idea?!
Kransic crack, Murrays Direct, The Wasdale crack, etc. All super clean, and in 2 cases very polished.
Yes great to see the Lakes busy with climbers, but it is already. Dow was crawling last weekend as was Raven crag in Combe ghyll, and I believe Gimmer and Gable were too.

The inclusion of Overhanging Bastion on Castle North seems odd, has this been thought through? Yes this route may currently be dirty (i don't know), but is probably best left well alone.

GPN 03 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:
I think it's a shame that E2+ climbs seem to have been dropped from the lists, as these are the routes in the lakes that could really benefit from a bit more traffic. Kendal Wall's 100 greatest climbs list is brilliant for anybody that wants to sample the very best that the region has to offer: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=645

Fingers crossed for a good summer so that we can get out on the high crags...

G.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Jun 2016
In reply to GPN:

> I think it's a shame that E2+ climbs seem to have been dropped from the lists

There are lots of E2s, a couple of E3s and an E4.

> these are the routes in the lakes that could really benefit from a bit more traffic.

there are loads of easier routes that would be excellent climbs with more traffic. The ones we did in previous Lakeland Revivals (Inferno at White Gill and Rainbow Ridge on the Napes) would both be minor classics if they were climbed often enough to keep the vegetation at bay.

Which was originally the point of this initiative I thought. But not any more it seems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...