UKC

Common bicep injuries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkeys 02 Jun 2016
I know nothing about this particular muscle group, having no previous injuries.
Right arm bicep pin point painful which I'm presuming is a tendon strain of some kind, as no particular mechanism or moment of injury. Climbing exacerbates, and I am right handed. I tend to be upper body centric and a little thuggish at times, to protect lower back disc pain. Wondering about bicep injuries/strain well known climbers?
Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share !
 Matt Vigg 02 Jun 2016
In reply to monkeys:

Don't want to scare you, well I suppose I do a bit, but I've just come out of a cast after tearing my bicep tendon off the bone and having it pinned back on.... Six weeks in the cast and now I suspect a couple of months until I can do anything meaningful climbing wise. I had some pain in the elbow for a couple of weeks before the injury and a dyno to an undercut finished it off. The first thing one of the doctors asked was whether I'd had pain leading up to the injury.

Pick up Dave McLeod's book and/or find a good climbing physio before you do something like I've done!
 Lead dnf 02 Jun 2016
In reply to monkeys:

Something I've had, resolved with eccentric bicep curls.

http://thomasbondphysio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/climbers-elbow-brachialis-te...
OP monkeys 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:
Thanks for the reply. Not scared yet. My brother's bicep collapsed last year after decades of carpentry and manual work.
Seems it may have been held in place by a single tendon for quite a while before the final pop. No pain until then
 Static 03 Jun 2016
In reply to monkeys:

Isometric exercises are good for calming down biceps origin tendon pain.

Rest elbow on table (to take pressure off tendon at shoulder). Good arm holds wrist of injured arm to stop any movement. Pull hand of injured arm towards shoulder to activate biceps. Hold for count of ten. Repeat 3 times twice a day.

Rupture of biceps is rare compared to biceps tendinopathy, which is common.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...