UKC

If you had just 1 day in the Lake District...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kerm 02 Jun 2016
....what would you do?
I have the day tomorrow and, struggling to find a climbing partner I am wondering what to do what will make the best use of my time and obviously be most fun... on my tod.
I climb, scramble walk etc but haven't brought the bike.
Based Langdale if that helps but have wheels.
 Jon Stewart 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Kerm:

Last time I was in that situation I did a big scramble that I'd never done before (the gully on Grasmoor) and good fellwalk (all the tops in that range, within reason). I had a great day.

In Langdale, I'd do a link-up of a few scrambles or easy routes on the Langdale Pikes and walk a good amount of the skyline round to say Bowfell. That'd be excellent.
 Goucho 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> In Langdale, I'd do a link-up of a few scrambles or easy routes on the Langdale Pikes and walk a good amount of the skyline round to say Bowfell. That'd be excellent.

+1

That would be a rather lovely day out.

Lusk 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Dungheon Ghyll, Jack's Rake (Pavey), descend Bowfell Great Slab, back up and over Crinkle Crags and back down via a Ghyll somewhere further west?
 Trangia 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Kerm:

Helvellyn from Glen Ridding up Striding Edge and down Swirral Edge, which is exactly what I did last time I found myself in your situation.
Lusk 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

You obviously haven't seen this?!
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=642927
In reply to Kerm:

For a shortish, adventurous scrambling day in Langdale you could solo Middlefell Buttress then do the grade 2 scramble up the S/W face of Harrison Stickle (better is to move across to the south ridge, grade 3, v good rock). You could then descend Jack's Rake (a bit hairy finding top).
J1234 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Kerm:

I would take the path striking up near Harry Place farm and follow it up and over to Grassmere . Then I would have a coffee and a cake and a quick look at some Heaton Coopers. Then I would amble up Easdale past the tarns and up to sergeant man. Then I would wander out to High Raise, then back to The Pikes and drift down the track by Harrison Stickle, and have a pint at the New Dungeon Ghyll, or if then on my way home I would drive and park near Booths at Ambleside and nip up Orrest head to bid a fond Au Revoir to my first love. xxx
 John Kelly 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

rather than finish down Jack's Rake - descend East ridge Harrisons and climb Cresent Climb - Mod (scary and dangerously loose in parts) then up rake to finish
 spartacus 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Kerm:
I would try and pork the attractive young lady in the cake shop in Ambleside.
Post edited at 18:47
 John Kelly 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Kerm:

you shouldn't think of leaving valley

if you're climbing Gordon gave some really good options

other stuff worth having a go at - stickle ghyll (scrambling is very good), Tarn crag, ('the groove' is awesome), the classic Jacks Rake brilliant and Crinkle ghyll - all good scrambles (so some risk attached)

great fell walks - traverse langdale pikes, the crinkle crags/bowfell ridge or over to Scafell

take a dip in - blea tarn or stickle tarn - both deep and cold but very refreshing

enjoy

Brass Nipples 02 Jun 2016
In reply to

I'd explore some of the Gill scrambles in Langdale as an alternate way unto the fells and away from the crowded footpaths .

Lusk 02 Jun 2016
In reply to John Kelly:

On the subject of Langdale, this has always 'amused' me ...
http://lakelandhikes-darkpeakhikes.synthasite.com/resources/34c%20Old%20Dun...
Either option hasn't really been true for decades!
In reply to John Kelly:

> rather than finish down Jack's Rake - descend East ridge Harrisons and climb Cresent Climb - Mod (scary and dangerously loose in parts) then up rake to finish

Yes, that's a definite improvement. JR much nicer going up than down. (Haven't soloed Crescent Climb myself)
 John Kelly 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Lusk:

no Jennings or no Hikers ????

Hikers - pretty sure there are a few hikers in there aided and abetted by a bevy of folk musicians

Jennings - i'm not sure, they certainly have some beer, its apparently very good

Climbers - definitely not in bar they all out crushing/sending/projecting
Lusk 02 Jun 2016
In reply to John Kelly:
The pub or brewery ... Cumbria's best kept secret!!!

There's a missing apostrophe Gordon may have missed
Post edited at 19:58
 abr1966 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Kerm:

I'd take a pleasant stroll up to great end then back over Esk pike and bowfell....then a well deserved beer in the ODG!
 Strachan 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Kerm:

Scramble Crinkle Ghyll, then head over Bow Fell, etc to Scalfell Pike, then back round as far as Esk Hause and down to Langdale again via Angle Tarn?
OP Kerm 03 Jun 2016
In reply to all

Thanks for all the input. I managed to find a climbing partner in the end but will save this for the next visit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...