UKC

Can't believe I've never climbed on...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ivanator 03 Jun 2016
So for anyone with a reasonable range of experience share the glaring omissions from your climbing resume. I've managed to climb over 1000 UK routes without ever visiting Stanage ...plans afoot to address this soon.
 GrahamD 03 Jun 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

Any rock climbing in the Cairngorms, but there are obvious logistical issues with that from Cambridge.
 climber34neil 03 Jun 2016

Pembroke
 bpmclimb 03 Jun 2016

Never climbed Dream of White Horses, Cenotaph Corner, Three Pebble Slab.
Even worse - I've been playing the cello for forty years but never performed the whole of Beethoven's 5th Symphony in a concert
OP The Ivanator 03 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Perhaps it might be more interesting to reflect a little on why we've never been to these places. For me (based in the South) I've always thought that if I'm going to drive for more than 4 hours then the adventure of Pembroke/the South West/North Wales/The Lakes was a better investment of my time, hence just a single trip to the Peak so far (2 days on the Roaches and a day at Wildcat).
Now I've ticked a fair proportion of the good routes at my grade elsewhere (and feeling tired of Limestone) I'm at last feeling the pull of a Grit experience, guessing I'll have a lot to learn!
OP The Ivanator 03 Jun 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Dream also on my "not done" list, fancy teaming up this summer?
 DerwentDiluted 03 Jun 2016

I have made a point of bothering most rocky parts of the UK, but I can't believe I've never sullied Reiff.

Not done much in Mid Wales, North Devon, Far far N Scotland and Hebrides, Aberdeenshire and Dumfries and Galloway. Or Northumberland, or Clwyd. In fact, thinking about it, I've barely started!
 jon_gill1 03 Jun 2016

In 14 years of climbing I have never climbed at cloggy!pretty poor I know! Strange to think that there are quality venues such as cloggy only 3/3.5 hours away from me and yet I have climbed all over Europe and Yosemite.I'm also dying to climb at Fairhead and southern Ireland and to many parts of Scotland to begin to list!
 Å ljiva 03 Jun 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

You *have* to do Dream of White Horses
 d_b 03 Jun 2016

Never climbed on slate.

Or on Baffin Island.

One of them bothers me more than the other.
Removed User 03 Jun 2016
It's about 10 years since I did any climbing at all (apart from odd and relatively unsatisfying Euro lime-clipping) but in UK terms my big omission is never having even touched grit let alone done any routes on it. A pity as I always had the big love for Torridonian and Northumberland (and Czech/E. German & Kentish) sandstone so I'd probably have liked it.

I've also done very little winter climbing on The Ben, which is a huge void considering I used to live near it when I was going at my best.
Post edited at 10:51
 jon_gill1 03 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:
I take it you mean the slate
Post edited at 10:52
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Jun 2016
Nesscliffe, Pontesford Rocks and Llanymynch have always struck me as places I should have been too, but never did,

Chris
Post edited at 11:18
 jon_gill1 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Its never too late Chris!
 Robert Durran 03 Jun 2016
Scafell. Probably because I live in Scotland and generally only grit my teeth and head south when weather dictates and if Scafell is dry then there will be plenty to do in the Scottish mountains. Nevertheless, a glaring omission, the only major mountain crag I've not climbed on, but actually great to have a brilliant collection of routes of all grades to look forward to. Same was true of Cornwall and Devon until last year's crap summer!
Post edited at 11:03
 CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2016

South Pembroke (been to the northern gabbro / sandstone), Gogarth, the dubh loch, pabbay and mingulay.

Quite a poor show really.
 Babika 03 Jun 2016

High Tor

I think there may be a reason.
 d_b 03 Jun 2016
In reply to jon_gill1:

If only Mt Asgard was made of slate.
 jon_gill1 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
High tor is brilliant, but from my experience avoid skylight as its rather loose.
 jon_gill1 03 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I will be in Greenland in July and frustratingly close in relative terms to asgard!
 Brass Nipples 03 Jun 2016

White cliffs of Dover, the culm coast. Adventure routes.

whenry 03 Jun 2016

There's far too much I've not been to... Stanage and the Lakes being significant omissions, but I've also done little in North Wales. I've also never climbed in Scotland, though I'm starting to think about a trip to Pabbay and Mingulay, so hopefully that will be rectified in the next year or two.

Why? I've definitely got a South West and South Wales bias, and sea cliffs do it for me far more anything else. Though I do go to the Peak a few times a year, I've avoided Stanage as it's a (tiny) bit further than Froggatt, Curbar, and the Roaches, and each time I go to those places, I see more routes that I want to do.
 Mark Collins 03 Jun 2016

> So for anyone with a reasonable range of experience share the glaring omissions from your climbing resume. I've managed to climb over 1000 UK routes without ever visiting Stanage ...plans afoot to address this soon.

I guess the Sheffield Mafia finally caught up with you then
 pebbles 03 Jun 2016

The Ben! other than a snowy but not winter mass scramble up Ledge Route. planned it several times, but never quite comes off - and at 7 hours drivel the attempts arent that frequent. Hopefully some time this year!
In reply to Chris Craggs:

It's nothing to get chros about!
 Andy Long 03 Jun 2016

Pembroke (in fact I've never even been to S. Wales).
Pillar Rock
Creag an Dubh-Loch
Ben Eighe
Diabaig

All except Pembroke are places I still desperately want to get to.
 Chris Murray 03 Jun 2016
In reply to jon_gill1:

> High tor is brilliant, but from my experience avoid skylight as its rather loose.

We were up there a couple of weeks ago. It's fine.
Great Zawn, Tintagel Head, Pentire Head, Carn Goula, Lundy, Chatsworth, Lliwedd, The Orme, Gordale Scar, The Cobbler, Garbh Coire (Beinn a'Bhuird), Binnein Shuas, Fuar Tholl, Kilt Rock, Pabbay, Mingulay.

I think I have climbed just about everywhere else in the UK that I'd want to and of the above list I think the only truly embarrassing ones are Chatsworth and Lliwedd .
 ianstevens 03 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Never climbed on slate.

> Or on Baffin Island.

> One of them bothers me more than the other.

The former presumably

Personally, I've done over 600 routes, climbed in Europe and New Zealand, and never been to the Lakes or Southern Sandstone. Context is important for the latter; I started in my mid-teens and my parents live 40 minutes away from the place.
 Dave Garnett 03 Jun 2016

Skye. Actually, other than the obvious on Arran and Hoy, Scotland.
 FactorXXX 03 Jun 2016

I've climbed in the Peak a number of times, but have never managed to climb in The Foundry.
 jon_gill1 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

Guessing the tower of loose rock in the groove has gone now then.when I climbed it a couple of years ago I place a wire in a polished slot,gave it a quick tug and the whole lot nearly came out!scared the crap out of me!
 Toccata 03 Jun 2016

Bouldered on 6 continents.

Never been to Font.
 Chris Sansum 03 Jun 2016

1,192 routes logged on my logbook to date, and I have never climbed at Gogarth. Keep getting distracted by a little mountain range on the way there!
 Skyfall 03 Jun 2016

Embarrassingly I've never climbed at Cloggy and have yet to visit Pembroke! The former is just a right place, right time thing really and, for Pembroke, it's a long drive and I don't really understand all the logistical stuff about bird bans and range briefings. Must do better!
 LG-Mark 03 Jun 2016

In 25 years, i've never climbed a sport route in my life. And don't intend to
 Robert Durran 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Toccata:

> Never been to Font.

Nor have I. Can't imagine I ever will. Doesn't feel like an omission.

freemanTom 03 Jun 2016

Outside of Scotland Cloggy is my major omission. Plenty in Scotland I've not managed but most keen to rectify is summer rock in the Caingorms
 Jim Walton 03 Jun 2016
In reply to climber34neil:

Yep, Never been to Pembroke.
 neuromancer 03 Jun 2016
I can't believe people have never made the pembroke pilgrimage!

I've never climbed in the peak district? (although I have climbed on grit)
Post edited at 12:26
 Hat Dude 03 Jun 2016

Stannington Ruffs
 Misha 03 Jun 2016
Scottish mountain crags - weather / midges / too far to go from Birmingham when there's loads more climbing to be done closer to home (whereas in winter I wouldn't think twice about a weekend up in Scotland, unless there's any winter climbing to be done in Snowdonia or the Lakes).
 Misha 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Skyfall:
Loads to do which isn't bird banned and there's no firing at weekends or in August so you can access anywhere other than Tange West which requires a briefing. So that's 4 comprehensive guidebooks' worth of climbing! Get yourself over there.
 Skyfall 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Misha:

> there's no firing at weekends or in August so you can access anywhere other than Tange West which requires a briefing.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Hope you're enjoying/exploiting the old firm

nniff 03 Jun 2016

Cloggy - in getting on for 40 years. I've stood at the bottom of it in the rain, in thick cloud. I've watched it ooze and drip, but I've never done more than touch it. I've seen it from afar on beautiful summer days too.

I've done next to nothing on Lakes' rocks, but quite a lot of winter stuff.

I've never been to Font as a climber - but I've been as a tourist traipsing around the palace.

I've never done a rock route on Ben Nevis (Poldubh doesn't count) or in the Cairngorms.

Not done anything in Torridon (except fly over it in a helicopter at dawn; all pink it was and lovely)
 Greenbanks 03 Jun 2016

Finedon Slabs
 lex 03 Jun 2016

Cloggy.
A glaring omission, hence http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=642982
Please help me to rectify the situation...
Lex
 Mr. Lee 03 Jun 2016
In reply to lex:

Still not done Point Five Gully, despite about 20 visits to Ben Nevis. I hate queuing so maybe I'll never do it unless in the area midweek or staying in the hut.

robal 03 Jun 2016

...acid.

always wondered if it would take me closer to the rock
 spartacus 03 Jun 2016

The Peaks or Mount Snowdon.
 airborne 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Skye - yes me too. Over 30 years of climbing under my belt, live in the Lakes, have been to other Hebridean islands and lots of Scottish crags, yet I've never set foot on the famous gabbro. It's got to the stage where I'm embarrassed to admit it.
 John Ww 03 Jun 2016

Cloggy, Sca Fell, Pillar - may just have something to do with the walk-ins...

JW
 Yanis Nayu 03 Jun 2016

...Dawn from accounts.
 EddieA 04 Jun 2016

Scafell. In over 30 years of admittedly sporadic climbing, how have I never climbed on Scafell crags but somehow found time to take in the Twa Hummocks, Striddle Crag and Edmund's Castle? This is something I'd like to fix on my next trip home to Cumbria, at the end of this month.

Removed User 04 Jun 2016

The Old Man of Hoy.........I used to look at it every day from my window at work for 9 years but just never found the combination of time, partners and weather. Pretty piss poor excuse really. And then I left Scotland.
 Big Ger 04 Jun 2016

oh god.....

.... I'll admit it........

...Grit....

...so sue me....
 d_b 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Climb somewhere like Lofoten and you will realise why the peak district isn't the internationally recognised centre for jamming & friction climbing that the locals like to believe it is.

I did remember to log into my trolling account for this didn't I?

Oops
 LakesWinter 04 Jun 2016

Dinas Cromlech, Cloggy, don't care though, Lakes is better anyway. What's Cenotaph Corner anyway? Just a 35m corner pitch.
 jezb1 04 Jun 2016
In reply to LakesWinter:

> Dinas Cromlech, Cloggy, don't care though, Lakes is better anyway. What's Cenotaph Corner anyway? Just a 35m corner pitch.

Left Wall's poor relation, which is probably Right Wall's, which is probably Lord's..
 Ciderslider 04 Jun 2016

Elysium on Boulder Ruckle
 jon_gill1 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Ciderslider:

Thought you'd have done it by now and on to the next thing!
 Trangia 05 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> I've never been to Southern Sandstone.

That must be the most shocking confession of all on this thread

Scotland.
 ianstevens 05 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Well not in the grand scheme of things, but given the background of my climbing "career", it should really be there and isn't.
 jon_gill1 06 Jun 2016

Scrap that I visited cloggy yesterday after 14 years of climbing, I fear it might be a while before I tick the others off!
 Trangia 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Aztec Bar:

> The Peaks or Mount Snowdon.

Like you I've never been to or climbed in The Peaks. I don't know anyone who has, and am not really sure where they are?
 Red Rover 06 Jun 2016

Finedon Slabs
 GrahamD 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

I can't believe I have actually climbed on Finedon Slabs !
 Red Rover 06 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

are they as bad as they look?
 Rog Wilko 06 Jun 2016
In reply to LG-Mark:

> In 25 years, i've never climbed a sport route in my life. And don't intend to

You will when you get a bit older! ;oD
 Rog Wilko 06 Jun 2016

Surprisingly, Cloggy has come up many times on this thread. I feel that I'm another Cloggy neglector as I've only been once (in an approaching 50 year "career") and did a rather overstarred Hard Severe on the right flanking slabby bit. Felt like a cop-out.
 Michael Hood 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

> are they as bad as they look?

I believe they're even worse. I used to live within easy driving distance (Leicester) but never felt sufficiently tempted. Slawston Bridge was sort of in the way in that direction and that is better than it looks.

Slawston has been visited by many of our stars over the years; Jerry and Johny both mention it in their autobiogs but it was already well known.

galpinos 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

Yep. The folly and desperation of youth drove us to visit but even then, we never went back.
 GrahamD 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

The reason they look shit and unispiring is because they are.
 Wingnut 06 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Something of an understatement there ...

(I am ashamed to admit to having climbed at Finedon ... more than once.)
 Paul Robertson 06 Jun 2016

I can't believe nobody has said 'plastic' yet
 Michael Hood 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Wingnut: All this talk of Finedon makes me rue that I never visited it when it was in my locale - even if just to see how bad it was - the description of the routes in the 90's Leics guide doesn't really make sense - I guess you need to relate it to the "crag" to fully understand/appreciate it.
 Offwidth 06 Jun 2016

I haven't climbed 1000 routes on Stanage yet.
 Offwidth 06 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Is Finedon worse than Stannington Ruffs? I bet Finedon is shit but not deathly shit over shit full of other peoples shit.
 GrahamD 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

It is shit because of its total lack of anything interesting there. At least Stannington Ruffs is "interesting"
 Si dH 06 Jun 2016

I've never done a rock route in Scotland. Just too many closer places that are equally brilliant.

More glaringly there are several crags I've been to once, had a great time but not got round to going back...Cloggy, Scafell, the whole of Pembroke.
 alan moore 06 Jun 2016

Ive been climbing in Scotland for 30 years but still never been to Shiegra.
Or Erraid, or Sarclet, or the Bonnaidh Don, or even Earnsheugh.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...