UKC

Spartan Slab - best slabby mountain vs in the uk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 06 Jun 2016

Having done this for the second time in amazing weather yesterday, is there a better slabby mountain vs route in the uk? I've not done black mamba so can't compare to that.

As a sub point I've done hammer (HVS) also and although the first crux maybe be better than anything on Spartan I think Spartan is the better climb overall.
Post edited at 14:31
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Dogleg / Blank Linkup (VS 4b)

Yes I believe so. Also Scabbard on Creag an Coire Etchachan would be a contender.
OP CurlyStevo 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:
Yeah scabbard is good, one pitch in particular might be better than any of the Spartan pitches, but route as a whole not quite as good IMO especially from a slab climb perspective as it s only the middle pitch that is really a slab IIRC ( it's been a while)

I'll keep a note of dog leg I've not done it but I'm guessing it's pretty bold?
Post edited at 14:47
 lummox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I preferred Longlands to Spartan.
 dek 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Likely Story, Eagles Rock.....a grand day oot, for a Dundonian. Lovely slab climbing, and a nice wander over the hills, from Clova,
 ed woods 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

South Ridge Direct, Cir Mhor? Good mix of slabs and grooves.
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It has a bold top pitch, but the rest is just simply run out. One of the best easy slab climbs I've ever done for sure. Other routes like Blankest looked amazing too.
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to ed woods:
The crux pitch however is not a slab!
Post edited at 15:14
 NigeR 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Having done this for the second time in amazing weather yesterday, is there a better slabby mountain vs route in the uk? I've not done black mamba so can't compare to that.

> As a sub point I've done hammer (HVS) also and although the first crux maybe be better than anything on Spartan I think Spartan is the better climb overall.

It is a great VS slab route.

First did it back in the 70's on my first visit to the slabs in February. We'd gone up for the white stuff, and ended up getting sunburnt on Spartan instead in shorts and T-shirts on a glorious sun and blue sky day.

Ah, those were the days
In reply to Smelly Fox:

Yeah that was my thoughts, the good pitches aren't really slabs.
In reply to lummox:

> I preferred Longlands to Spartan.

Really? I haven't done Spartan, but I thought Great Slab was better than Longlands, and I've always been told that Great/Bow is quite a lot better than Great.
In reply to dek:
Gets HVS now though?

VS only please
Post edited at 15:20
 Mike-W-99 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:

The top of blank is very runout but the friction is amazing.

I'll add salamander at creag Ghlas in as a contender.
In reply to dek:

Looks nice
 Offwidth 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:

It is adjectivally as the overlap is HS 4c IMHO and there are plenty of harder safe severe moves on Yorkshire grit.

On quality The Pause although a notch and a half up makes Spartan look tame ... as the latter has too much ledge shuffling with onoy a few classy sections and the former has two long out-there sustained pitches above the overlap and plenty of quality besides... it could almost be in Tuolumne. I thought Hammer was in-between quality wise.
 Offwidth 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Try that friction when the weeps restart on spring evenings!
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Is the climbing really good on blank though? The nice thing about Spartan is the variety of slab climbing, it's not all padding up a clean smooth slab.
 Mike-W-99 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Technically the crux of Spartan slabs isn't a slab either?
In reply to Offwidth:
I disagree on Spartan every pitch bar the last has some quality slab climbing on it, but pitches 4 and 5 are sustained high quality 3* vs slab climbing 1 and 2 HS ** and 6 a non event. 3 is probably **/*** VS IMO and does have a lovely vs slab section just before the traverse, the traverse which although easier is still quality smearing across a slab.
Post edited at 15:37
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Interesting point, the hardest move is pitch 3, but as a leader i'd argue the overall crux pitch is either 4 or 5 as they are much more sustained vs climbing and with some more run out sections,.
 lummox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Yup- I preferred the position on Longlands. Regrettably, I haven't done Great/Bow but it's on the list...
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Is the climbing really good on blank though? The nice thing about Spartan is the variety of slab climbing, it's not all padding up a clean smooth slab.

Neither is it on the Dogleg Blank Link.
 Fiona Reid 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I believe the move on pitch 3 is even harder when you get a hex from your harness stuck in the crack and can't work out why you can't move upwards...

If we can exclude the abomination that is the Y-Crack from South Ridge Direct then it's fairly slabby too and a damn fine route. My views on the Y-Crack are not publishable. I can jam a bit better these days but I suspect I'd still not enjoy it!
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to lummox:

> Yup- I preferred the position on Longlands. Regrettably, I haven't done Great/Bow but it's on the list...

I thought Great Bow massively over-rated. Only a couple of reasonable pitches.
In reply to Smelly Fox:

The UKC pics look very nice
 The Ivanator 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Can't directly compare quality as I've not done Spartan Slab (would love to) but would highlight Kirkus's Route (VS 4c) as an alternative wonderful slabby mountain VS.
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> It is adjectivally as the overlap is HS 4c IMHO and there are plenty of harder safe severe moves on Yorkshire grit.

> On quality The Pause although a notch and a half up makes Spartan look tame ... as the latter has too much ledge shuffling with onoy a few classy sections and the former has two long out-there sustained pitches above the overlap and plenty of quality besides... it could almost be in Tuolumne. I thought Hammer was in-between quality wise.

If there are harder severe moves on Yorkshire grit, that only suggests to me that they are sandbags and wrongly graded.

The Y cracks are solid 5a, and I am reasonably good at jamming (although I think there was only 1 move where a jam helped). I've done plenty of easier 5b sequences for sure!
In reply to Offwidth:

> It is adjectivally as the overlap is HS 4c IMHO and there are plenty of harder safe severe moves on Yorkshire grit.

> On quality The Pause although a notch and a half up makes Spartan look tame ... as the latter has too much ledge shuffling with onoy a few classy sections and the former has two long out-there sustained pitches above the overlap and plenty of quality besides... it could almost be in Tuolumne. I thought Hammer was in-between quality wise.

It is rediculously good rock on etive, hardly at all granular / gritty and nicely consistent not too large granite crystals.
In reply to Smelly Fox:

Yeah agreed Y cracks are defo vs 5a, S crack is HS / VS border defo eaiser than it looks, incidentally I thought the chimneys were nails for VD and not much easier!
 Robert Durran 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Is there a better slabby mountain vs route in the uk?

Yes, because it's not a mountain route
 nniff 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Yes, because it's not a mountain route

My thoughts exactly - it starts at sea level near enough
 Michael Hood 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:
The pockets are not going to be an amazing surprise for anyone who reads your comment on Dogleg / Blank Linkup !!!
Post edited at 16:33
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:
Ha fair play. I'll remove the comment. It does mention them in the guidebook though...
Post edited at 16:55
 Offwidth 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I'm not arguing that Spartan is poor (2/3 stars is OK by me) just that it pales compared to The Pause... get on it.
 Skyfall 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I've done Spartan Slab and whilst very good I'm not sure it's the best route at around VS the right side of vertical I've done. Kirkus's at Cwm Silyn is admittedly a bit steeper and not a friction slab, being more pockets etc, but is one of the best mountain slabby VS's I've done .
 NigeR 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

> I'm not arguing that Spartan is poor (2/3 stars is OK by me) just that it pales compared to The Pause... get on it.

True, but you can't compare a VS to an E1 on the Etives, it's not fair.

Personally, I reckon the best route grade for grade on the slabs is The Long Reach.
 alan moore 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

The Pause is the best route of the eight that I've done on the Etive Slabs; making it ' the best seaside and bluebells slab route in Glen Etive'.

I thought Dogleg was a bit scrappy and nowhere near as good as a Blankist.

Hope is the best 'roadside mountain slab route in the U.K.' And it leads to Grey Arête which might actually best mountain slab route in the UK.
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to alan moore:
Where was the scrappy bit? Unless you are talking about the original line, which wanders about. Blankist does look very good.
Post edited at 17:19
 alan moore 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:

Yes, I did the original which dog legged all over the place. I've haven't done Blank though...
 ed woods 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:
True! But from what I remember you could say the same about Spartan

To the OP... S Ridge Direct is the best mountain VS I've done + it's pretty slabby overall. Thought Spartan was good, but don't think of it as a top mountain VS.

Y crack - I reckon people think it's hard 'cause they get tired going the wrong way (too much beta...?)
Post edited at 17:41
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to alan moore:

The variation vastly improves the lines dogleg and blank. The four stars the SMC guide gives it is not far off.
 Smelly Fox 06 Jun 2016
In reply to ed woods:

Aye OK, it's just the "feel" of the route that made me say that. It does have plenty of slabs on it for sure.
 Michael Hood 06 Jun 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:
Fair enough if it's in the guide - wasn't criticising for real, just thought that your comment was amusingly ironic

Piccies of the routes on Rosa Slabs do look rather inviting though. Certainly better than Finedon Slabs - see "Can't believe I've never climbed on..." thread.
Post edited at 18:46
In reply to ed woods:
I've done s ridge direct but I don't think the s / y crack or chimneys are slabs, fair enough there are a few slab pitches on it that are quite tricky but still they don't define the climb for me and they aren't as good as the best slab pitches on Spartan. Overall is S ridge a better route - yeah sure...... But is it a basically a slab climb or a better slab climb - no on both counts
Post edited at 18:41
In reply to Offwidth:

Yeah for me Spartan is 2-3 stars but only as I prefer climbs nearer to vertical perhaps with some overlaps. Ofcourse maybe the pause is better but that's off piste this thread is about vs not e1 I disagree hammer is better mostly the climbing isn't as satisfying bar one section of about 6 meters.
 alan moore 06 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:
What about Botterill's; that's a better mountain slab VS than any of the Arran rambles mentioned above?

Spartan is the only big route I've done more than once; it's very good imo.
On the subject of the crux, there's a move at the top of pitch 1 (where a split block fell away sometime in the mid 90's) that feels a technical grade harder than anything else on the route. The big overlap feels like 4b at 5'11".

Sorry, forgot The Pause is E1 now!
OP CurlyStevo 07 Jun 2016
In reply to alan moore:
So yeah pitch 1 4a as per guide no way, the move after the initial crack, stepping down on to the slab and a few moves after that are worth more like 4c IMO and feel around as hard as the cruxes on pitches 4 and 5, I thought the pitch 3 crux although very different was harder.

The overlap I think is about 4c for me maybe 5a, I jammed my way rather ungainly this time until I could get a foot on the slab. I suspect with practice I could find a nicer way than the way it worked out anyways.

Botterill's looks nice, is it only 1 pitch of slab climbing though?
Post edited at 11:29
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I often thought about, but never got round to doing, a hybrid of Botterill's Slab followed by the upper pitches of Central Buttress (easily accessible from the top of pitch 2 of Botterill's). Surely that would be a superb classic VS outing?
 ed woods 08 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Fair enough, I took 'slabby' to mean something broader than slabs like Etive - not many of those around in the mountains. Another thought, I've always liked the look of that route above Idwal - is it Grey Slab/Lost Boot?
 george mc 09 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

My vote is for the Pause. Spartan nice but some veg, shuffling etc. For fun try Band of Hope. You get to carry a light rack...
pasbury 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Sounds like a splendid idea.
 Mark Bannan 10 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

How about "the other" Hammer - the very good 3 pitch VS on Arran?

Finishes before the layback crack and 3-tier chimney for a great day out.

M
 Mark Bannan 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Smelly Fox:

> The Y cracks are solid 5a ...

Agreed. Great fun too, if you like jamming (like me!)

OP CurlyStevo 10 Jun 2016
In reply to george mc:
The pause isn't VS though

There is only a tiny bit of veg on spartan (bar the last crap pitch which feels like an escape to the descent rather than part of the route proper). Its on pitch 1 and should really be removed IMO. It would however make that pitch a bit harder and would be as solid as pitches 4 and 5 then most likely.
Post edited at 12:34
In reply to Mark Bannan:

not done it but I would like to do that and arctic way also.
 Mark Bannan 10 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Both very good routes. Beware Arctic Way is probably undergraded at VS, though. Crux pitch felt like run-out HVS; gave me a bit of a scare!
In reply to Mark Bannan:

fair enough the UKC votes do seem to be heading towards it being HVS....
 Mike-W-99 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:
Hvs in the latest guidebook.
Post edited at 14:10
 Adam Long 10 Jun 2016
In reply to ed woods:

Been a few years since I did Spartan, but did South ridge a fortnight ago and it's one of the best VS climbs I've done anywhere. 2 or 3 pitches with really high quality climbing and some positions higher up that would be fantastic even if the rock was crap. Which it isn't.
 Michael Gordon 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

>

Agreed, I thought 4 stars for the Pause, 3 stars for Hammer/Spartan.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Worth doing Angel's Edgeway if you haven't, finishing up the direct finish to Squareface (the jam crack). A brilliant outing, and quite slabby in nature
 Robert Durran 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Worth doing Angel's Edgeway if you haven't, finishing up the direct finish to Squareface (the jam crack). A brilliant outing, and quite slabby in nature.

I'm not sure that "not very steep" means the same as "slab" in climbing terms. If you're climbing a crack you are not slab climbing (though the crack might be in a slab). To me slab climbing means that you are primarily relying on friction of the feet to make progress rather than pulling on holds. Quite a lot of the routes mentioned in this thread are not slab climbs!
 Mark Bannan 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Hvs in the latest guidebook.

Glad to hear that!

I quite agree but then the initial stipulation was 'slabby' not slab...
> I quite agree but then the initial stipulation was 'slabby' not slab...

Is slabby climbing different from slab climbing?!

Anyway, if anything not very steep is allowed, then I reckon Integrity is a strong contender. Did it last week 34 years after I first did it and it was even better than I remembered!
Post edited at 12:05

I think 'slabby' can often just mean anything less than vertical.

Integrity might work but it's Hard Severe!

> Integrity might work but it's Hard Severe!

VS in the guidebook (and on here).

BnB 11 Jun 2016

But the only parts of Integrity that are remotely VS-like are the start and the overlap preceding the belay. Neither of which are slabby. The joyous slab section is about Severe.
In reply to BnB:

> But the only parts of Integrity that are remotely VS-like are the start and the overlap preceding the belay. Neither of which are slabby. The joyous slab section is about Severe.

I didn't claim it was a slab route! That was my kind of my point........
 fmck 11 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

South ridge direct is such a beautiful climb. G.C Curtis and G.H townsend must of been sick having missed out on the such a prize Arran route. Hammer(Arran) has improved some what from when I first did it in the 80s. It had clumps of turf that have gone now.

Although I have visited the South slabs numerous times they do seem rather featureless. It does puzzle me the staring system that seems to rate the nearby Angels pavement so low. I know its only Severe but I find it to be an amazing slab climb. It follows such a natural trail up beautiful rock linking a line of pockets that suddenly ends before the finish ledge. Deep breath then start peddling with the full length of the rope behind you.
 Rog Wilko 11 Jun 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

> would highlight Kirkus's Route (VS 4c) as an alternative wonderful slabby mountain VS.

Just what I was thinking
 Rog Wilko 11 Jun 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Hiatus on Gimmer
Mickledore Grooves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...