UKC

Storm in central Lakes this afternoon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 08 Jun 2016
Stopped for a dip in Grasmere this afternoon to cool off and watched the clouds over Dunmail brewing. As they got closer the missus, bairn and myself bid hasty retreat to our vehicle just in time to witness one of the most awesome deluges I've ever seen. By the time we got to Ambleside there were 6" deep puddles and the noise of the rain falling was deafening and then back to blue sky by the time we left the National Park.

Did anyone else get caught in it?
 John Kelly 08 Jun 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Very localised, only a drop in Langdale, first rain for 3 weeks
Helvelyn seems to be attracting intense weather again
Rigid Raider 08 Jun 2016

No, it's just reached the Manchester plain here. This is pretty amazing, switch on the sound and the detectors for the full effect:

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=10
 TomGB 08 Jun 2016

now in birmingham. Absolutely biblical proportions have come down in the last 10 minutes. I'm going to drown getting to my car...
 Glyno 08 Jun 2016
absolutely lashed it down in Keswick for half an hour this afternoon. People were taking refuge in the nearest available shop - I found myself in Millets!
Post edited at 17:36
 Chris the Tall 08 Jun 2016
In reply to Glyno:

> absolutely lashed it down in Keswick for half an hour this afternoon. People were taking refuge in the nearest available shop - I found myself in Millets!

Was there a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet ?
 Mark Eddy 08 Jun 2016

Lovely on Scafell today. A brief shower then sun again. Routes on Scafell crag getting done too
 cander 08 Jun 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel

So just another summers day in the lakes then.
OP Baron Weasel 08 Jun 2016
In reply to cander:

Iye, all four seasons in one day!

Seriously though - it was astonishing!
 Lamb 08 Jun 2016

Well and truly caught in it! Not what you want on a day trip from North of the border!
OP Baron Weasel 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Lamb:

Where were you?
 Postmanpat 09 Jun 2016
In reply to John Kelly:
> Very localised, only a drop in Langdale, first rain for 3 weeks

> Helvelyn seems to be attracting intense weather again

We got a hailstorm on Gimmer at about 1.30, followed by light rain and thunder for 40 minutes, retreated to the ODG where it became torrential, and continued to be torrential all the way back to Borrowdale. Finished about 3.30pm.

Where were you?!!!
Post edited at 08:49
 The New NickB 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Great Langdale Campsite presumably.
 Postmanpat 09 Jun 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Great Langdale Campsite presumably.

There's "localised" and "localised"
 Sharp 09 Jun 2016

We had it in SW Scotland, not the heaviest I've ever seen but enough to drench you in half a miinute. I was stood in a tin roofed boat shed so with the thunder and lightening is was quite awesome.

We'd planned to go up to Gable (anyone know if it's dry?) but the clouds looked heavier than forecast. Did a route in Buttermere but it was starting to spit and looked like it was bubbling up over the central fells. We retreated out of the mountains and had a very pleasant afternoon at Armathwaite, which was sunny and bone dry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...