UKC

How to stop cats sh*tting in my garden

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cú Chullain 10 Jun 2016
I have a small front garden, it was a weed infested mess until last week where I dug out the whole area and laid down some gravel making it all neat and tidy. Unfortunately, this bit of home improvement seems to be attracting every cat on the street to take a dump on it and I am getting a bit fed up having to clean up fresh turds everyday. Anyone have any vaguely humane ideas on how to get these moggies to shit somewhere else?
 birdie num num 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Turning your front garden into a litter tray was a bad idea
In reply to Cú Chullain:

a shot gun will do the job and though it'll make a different kind of mess, you'll not have cats shitting on there anymore.
 Welsh Kate 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

My brother got one of those super-soaker water blasters, filled it with water coloured with dye, and shot the felines. They didn't come back.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Leave some food and water out for them - they don't crap where they feed,

Chris
 olddirtydoggy 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

2 litre bottles of water hanging around. Worked for me. For some reason they see them and WTF at them befofe shitting next door.
In reply to Cú Chullain:

as said already, you have turned it into the perfect cat toilet (sadly). I used bigger slate pieces in a border and this seemed to work, so you could try this. Or set depth charges..
 john spence 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:
In a small area a couple of curry plants may work quite well.
 Bulls Crack 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Open a cattery
 Dax H 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Ultrasonic cat repeller.
You need to position it well for maximum coverage but they work.
OP Cú Chullain 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Dax H:

> Ultrasonic cat repeller.

> You need to position it well for maximum coverage but they work.

Do they really work?

d_b 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Fire. Fire solves everything.
OP Cú Chullain 10 Jun 2016
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

While projectile weapons are temping I am not sure if I have the patience of Vasily Zaitsev
 balmybaldwin 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Get down to your local zoo and procure some Lion Manure. Dig it in under the stones - you shouldn't see a cat in the vicinty for months. But you will haveLion shit in your garden
 flopsicle 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

If you have a dog you can save them up - lifetime supply of doggy treats! (I'm sure dogs only chase cats in the hope they'll poop themselves).
 pec 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I've heard that the peel of citrus fruit can deter them. I once used a citrus spray which seemed effective for both cats and dogs, a local dog walker seemed to allow his pooch to use my garden path as a toilet on his daily walk. Unfortunately it needed to be re-applied after rain however.
 ScottTalbot 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

A friend of mine used to pee in a watering can and water the gravel with it. Seemed to do the trick.
 Oujmik 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

They really hurt the ears of anyone under 40 walking past if that counts.
 gethin_allen 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

o the recommendations of GQT, to keep cats out of my flower beds I bought some extra hot chilli powder which I spread around liberally. Out of interest in how hot is "extra hot" I tasted some on the very tip of my finger and it took about 10 minutes until I could speak normally again. Any cat squatting on that will have and exciting time.
 Dax H 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> Do they really work?

Did for us and our neighbour.
All the local cats used to go in our two gardens, I forget who got one first but it worked and the other person got one and that worked too.
There was an added bonus too, we have house cats that used to go mental when they saw a strange cat through the window so that stopped as well.
 Seocan 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

You're not alone having that wee problem.
I put an electric fence up, 10,000v if the instructins are to be believed. I disconnect it when the kids are playing. I think i must have scored a 'kill' as the shitter hasn't been back.
 Sharp 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

My girlfriends neighbour has one just outside our back door, the cat doesn't mind it but we do. Horrible noise. I wouldn't mind so much if the cat was shitting in her garden but shes just had her lawn done and aparently she "just sits there looking at things".
 gingerbex 11 Jun 2016

In reply to C£ Chullain
I put one in garden two days before Easter weekend last year. On returning from long weekend, garden was free from sh*t and haven't seen a cat there since. Also stopped the local fox population (whose sh*t smells even worse). Ran out of battery 6 months later but haven't replaced and cats haven't returned.
Disadvantage, my partner could "feel" the sound it emits and it made him want to run away too!
You can alter the pitch the noise is emitted at and I have to admit when it's lower range it is pretty offensive. Just turn it up higher til you can't hear and should be fine.
Post edited at 10:25
 wilkie14c 11 Jun 2016
In reply to C£ Chullain:
Lemon juice. Dilute a jiff to make a couple of litres and douse the cats entry point, fences etc. Any of the larger WC hexentric range works well too.

*or douse the cats exit point

Snigger
Post edited at 12:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...