UKC

scrambling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jollygreengiant1 11 Jun 2016
Hi all, new to the forum.
I'm a hill walker that has moved into scrambling. I've now done quite a few roped grade 3 scrambles so I'm comfortable with the various belay techniques and i have some gear.
My question is, can I transfer these skills to the lower grade multi pitch rock climbs? Can I climb something like giants crawl using scrambling techniques and is it possible to do so with a short scrambling rope?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.
 Trangia 11 Jun 2016
In reply to jollygreengiant1:

I'd say yes, although I don't specifically know Giants Crawl. In general terms there isn't much difference between a lower grade rock climb (say up to VD) and a Grade 3 scramble.

I think however you will need a longer rope, say about 50m for most rock climbs.

Good luck!
 John Kelly 11 Jun 2016

Guide book will give pitch length for a specific route, classic Diffs will often have option of short pitches as used in the first ascent but today most people will run pitches together where possible
(that means it needs to be a pretty straight line, and you have to extend runner's appropriately, can be easier said than done)
50m rope is what you will need generally
You can get a good idea about route from 'public logbook tab'
Giant's Crawl (Summer) (D)
jollygreengiant1 11 Jun 2016

Thanks for the replies, some useful advice there. I'll go rope shopping now then.
 Greasy Prusiks 11 Jun 2016

If you have the skills to climb pitches with belays and all that jazz you're set for 'climbing'.

I'd definitely recommend a longer rope though.

If you're climbing just on a set of nuts expect some routes to be run out! Nothing wrong with it (that's how I started) just a heads up.

Have fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...