UKC

Via Ferrata near Zermatt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Plugg_81 17 Jun 2016
I'm travelling to Zermatt at the end of June and I'm keen to do some Via Ferrata routes.

I found a company that does 3 routes at around 4000m!!

Do you think this is too high and would require acclimatisation? The trip lasts about 5 hours...

Has anyone got any experience or advice on Via Ferrata routes in this area??

Thanks in advance.
Removed User 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Plug81:

Didn't do any Via Ferrata but there's some relatively low grade climbs at Riffelsee- you can pay 30F & get the train up & hike back down. Amazing views of Matterhorn at around 3500 I think - no issues acclimatising...

We were told it was well equipped! - that meant one ring between anchors, 30-40m pitches (single bull rings as per the old skool style) I had one back up link cam on my harness and a trad rack in my tent.
Removed User 18 Jun 2016
 jon 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Plug81:

There's a via ferrata just above Zermatt, not far above the station and just to the right of the path that goes up into the Trift valley. Zermatt is at 1600m and the VF isn't far above, so nowhere near 4000m. Google should bring it up easily.
Plugg_81 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Removed Usermartym:

That sounds great I'll be doing lots of hiking so will check that out. Cheers
Plugg_81 18 Jun 2016
In reply to jon:
Cheers Jon, it seems weird that the company I contacted are suggesting trips up to 4000m when there is VF near to Zermatt. Maybe they want to take me up on the high altitude trip so I'll have to pay to hire equipment and proper boots and crampons and things... Or maybe I'm being a bit cynical.

Either way it's going to be awesome!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...