UKC

Bantham Hand access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philhilo 17 Jun 2016
What is the tidal access for Bantham Hand in Devon? Not got the Devon & Cornwall Guide.
 sebrider 17 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

It's been a long while...I but think it is partially tidal. Access from half tide...maybe.
OP philhilo 18 Jun 2016
In reply to sebrider:

There was me beginning to give up hope on the font of all knowledge - the UKC forum attendees. Cheers Seb, half tide it is then. Although any improvements on 'maybe' gratefully received.
 Rik 18 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

The guidebook say 'mid/low tide'
OP philhilo 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Rik:

Cheers
 petegunn 18 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

High tide if you want to jump off!
 Cake 18 Jun 2016
In reply to petegunn:

I have heard that you do not want to jump off at any tide from the top. Even the guide picture is from lower down
OP philhilo 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Cake:

10m jump, I would want 4m of water - swimming with broken legs is going to be hard!
 Dan Arkle 20 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

There are trenches of deeper water, but jumping from any height is very dodgy, unless spring high perhaps.

Access from below half tide, VS 4b ish up crumbly flakes on the west face
 BALD EAGLE 20 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

Don't forget the simu-ab to get off the stack for the full Bantham Hand experience! Just make sure your partner has not had all the pies the night before...
youtube.com/watch?v=r3pRHHWKBsU&
And do let us all know how you get on!
Dave
 Sam W 20 Jun 2016
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

To reiterate what a couple of others have said, jumping off the Hand is a bad idea. I grew up locally, know the beach very well, have jumped off lots of cliffs, climbed the Hand and definitely didn't want to jump off. There's only really one area with (just) enough water to land in, it would need a high tide and be easy to miss.

When I climbed it descent was via abseil from a collection of tat. The climb is great in a mossy, seagull poo covered way.
 Cusco 20 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

Mid to low tide access and you can easily walk to the base.

I soloed it with a trailing rope attached to seven anchors at the base which I then pulled tight at the top and used it to ab down the other side - which worked a treat. I didn't want to tempt fate by reversing the solo and the crux with that rock quality - I was on my own and the tide had turned.

A great example of Devonian esoterica and choss and a brilliant life affirming 1 hour experience.

Having seen the reefs all around at low tide any jump would be suicidal at anything but the year's highest tide. I understand from an old timer I met at Bench Tor that Nick, in that photo, jumped from halfway and it was an unplanned jump or slip.

Have fun!

And the posh burger van in the car park for the South East set and second homers with their Chelsea tractors is amazing.

OP philhilo 20 Jun 2016
In reply to philhilo:

Didn't get there this weekend but will tick it this year for sure - we try to do a sea stack a year and this just about qualifies and is relatively close. Ended up doing the top pitch of Incubus at Long Quarry Point/Sanctuary Wall in the pouring rain.....nice mixture of rubble, rain and vegetation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...