UKC

Iphone 6 screen repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber34neil 19 Jun 2016
How difficult is it to replace the screen or should I take it to a repair centre/shop etc. Anyone done this and found it straight forward?
Thanks
 PPP 19 Jun 2016
In reply to climber34neil:

The screen or the glass? Most people replace the whole bit and don't bother with replacing the glass only.

I have replaced the battery on 5S which is more difficult (you need to replace the screen first before getting to the battery). It's relatively easy, but quite scary and awkward (my dexterity isn't great).
OP climber34neil 19 Jun 2016
In reply to PPP:

It's the glass that has broken so not sure what I would need to change
 ben b 19 Jun 2016

With the 6 and 6s there are issues with 3rd party fixes - which used to brick the phone. This is because the screen is linked to the fingerprint scanner, and non_apple fixes could otherwise cause security issues (see "Error 53").

I have previously repaired earlier generation phones, but am going to Apple tomorrow for a 6 screen repair.

b
 Indy 19 Jun 2016
In reply to ben b:
am going to Apple tomorrow for a 6 screen repair.

What are they charging these days.... arm, leg or both?
OP climber34neil 19 Jun 2016
In reply to ben b:

OK thanks, might leave it for the professionals then?
 colinakmc 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:
Not saying, but when you come out the shop you won't cast a shadow....
 IMA 19 Jun 2016

most places charge around 100, apple charge 80 and keeps your warranty etc (if you live near an apple store)

Never done it myself
 ben b 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

79 quid for the new screen and they check the battery etc as well (as again if needs replacing might be best done at same time). Quick and easy, done in an hour (Basingstoke on a monday morning) but would take longer at a busier store by the sound of things.

As others say, for a newer phone keeping warranty valid etc is a good plan; for an iPhone 3S, who cares?

cheers

b
 cander 20 Jun 2016
In reply to ben b:

The apple shop repair deal is ok for the price, but they won't fix the screen for you if your phone is bent, which apparently mine was - so they refused to do it but offered to flog me another phone! - so I went on eBay bought the screen and repair kit for £50 and I followed the instructions on youtube and it was a fiddle but simple.
 ianstevens 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

1 kidney.
Naamah 20 Jun 2016
In reply to ben b:

Correct. Ex friend of mine nuked his iPhone 6 screen exiting his crappy red Vauxhall go kart thing. Surprised as his ass is virtually on the floor and it must have only fallen an inch.

Cost him around £60 and went to Apple to prevent invalidation of warranty. So - reasonable cost. Buy a rhino protector for it; Amazon stock them I believe as it'll take the sting out next time!

Number of phones I've nuked - last one was stepped on when exiting the bath following a worry about 'where's my iPad gone'.

Good luck - turn around from Apple is pretty quick too iirc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...