UKC

600 Solos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andi turner 20 Jun 2016
So, on Saturday, whilst I was taking advantage of gas and air and being stretchered off after tussling with a loose rock on the Orme, my usual partner in crime, Pete Bridgwood, was doing his own thing in the Peak.

Pete (Northy1983) soloed 600 routes in the day, is this a new record? Surely it shows that it's normally me holding him back

Pretty impressive by any standards I think you'll agree.
 john arran 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

Nice one Pete. Respect.
 Phil Anderson 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:
Absurdly impressive!

If my maths is right, then that's a route every 2 minutes and 24 seconds on average.

Hats off to the chap!
Post edited at 15:43
 SenzuBean 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

Bloody impressive! Hope an article gets done about it - would love to know how he managed it and approached it, any funny bits on the day, etc
 ralphio 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

It's certainly better than my 3 routes in 4 hours at plantation the other day...
OP andi turner 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Phil Anderson:

He said that when he'd finished it was one route every 1 min 47 seconds.

When we did the Staffordshire Nose, our averages were 4 min 48 seconds per route, positively a snails pace in comparison.
 jon_gill1 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

Bloody impressive!!!!!

"So, on Saturday, whilst I was taking advantage of gas and air and being stretchered off after tussling with a loose rock"

Trust you are ok after your tussle?
In reply to andi turner:

Would it be possible for you to give us a list of the routes he did?
 Jon Read 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

Amazing. I trust this was at the familiar Roaches? Will he add it to his logbook??
In reply to andi turner:

I've just emailed Pete for a news report, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Hope you are ok Andi!
 Gary Gibson 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner: well done Pete. Very impressive. Saw Dom on Saturday and he said you were at it. Big congrats mate.

Dave Garnett 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

> So, on Saturday, whilst I was taking advantage of gas and air and being stretchered off after tussling with a loose rock on the Orme,

Are you OK-ish? How badly broken? Will you be able to hobble to the Moorlands Minor Injury or do you need a hand?

northy1983 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

Cheers for the positive feedback guys. I didn't realise andi posted something about it. I'll report fully to Natalie. But for those of you that are wondering how it was do-able. I basicly climbing routes well within my comfort zone. Practicing on some days,I was getting my times on average on some legs to 38 secs. I will eventually add routes I did to me logbook. I did try to make attempt to film what u could,but moving fast ment I had to limit it to a climb a crag,eventually ill put a vid up on my Vimeo page. Cheers to everyone that joined me and supported me
 TobyA 20 Jun 2016
In reply to northy1983:

> Practicing on some days,I was getting my times on average on some legs to 38 secs.

That's just crazy! Does that including getting down to do the next line as well!?
 deacondeacon 20 Jun 2016
In reply to TobyA:
I imagine there's a lot of downclimbing involved
 wbo 20 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner: easy routes or not thanks a heck of a feat. . How many meters total, how many meters per minute?

Good effort anyhows

In reply to wbo:

Indeed! 600 boulder problems would be hard enough!
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I was taken one in Wales for the once over. On the mend now. Should've gone with Pete in hindsight.

https://flic.kr/p/JiH7uu
 northy1983 20 Jun 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Yep. Up and down like a yo yo. It became auto pilot after a while. Where I could downclimb I would,which is where pre climbing the crag beforehand paid off,cause I could learn I can miss one climb, and then downclimb it a few routes ahead, rather than repeating the same line and wasting time and energy.
In reply to andi turner:

Amazing! I was just saying to Pete the other day that I wasn't sure that our record would get broken as it was such a laborious effort. So impressive he did it on his own as well. Seriously motivated.

I imagine he was out for 16-20hrs??

OP andi turner 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

From what he sent me, just a touch under 18 hours.
 john arran 21 Jun 2016

Not to diminish Pete's brilliant effort, nor yours and Pete's, nor even mine and Shane's, but Just to throw the seed out there: I reckon 1000 would be possible given enough planning and training
 johncook 21 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

Love the picture of three paramedics looking at a body in a shroud!
In reply to john arran:

I thought about that concept. I don't think the crags match up right though. Maybe maybe 750 at a push. It's really tough though and would require a huge amount of prep and high boredom threshold!
 john arran 21 Jun 2016

It's a bit like a 2-hour marathon. Clearly impossible but you just know someone will do it one day!
 Michael Hood 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training: As a half-way target to 1000 routes, how about 1000 as a tag team in 24 hours. Presumably one of the main problems to the ultimate target is keeping going for 24 hours (which will most likely be necessary to get to 1000). Doing it as a tag team may overcome that fatigue hurdle and allow the 1000 to be fitted in within the 24.

Obviously, some headtorching will be required.

Whether the tag is 12 + 12, or (1 + 1) x 12, or maybe several people but only one climbing at a time and no repeats in the 1000 can be decided. The way forward is then having shown that 1000 routes can be done in 24 by a team, to refine that down to 1 (super)person(hero).

LakesWinter 21 Jun 2016

I think that a step on the way would be for a team/person to complete 1000 routes in one continuous session of over 24 hours and then the time could be refined later.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 21 Jun 2016
In reply to john arran:

I wonder if you widen the scope to '1000 routes or boulder problems in a day' it might be more doable? Or too easy?

You need to average a route every 86 seconds (including descent? That's only going to give you ~50secs per route + 35secs per descent). Finding a suitable density of easy routes is pretty tricky in itself, so expanding to boulders as well might help (itd definitely help with fast descents).
 Phil Anderson 21 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

Incredible!
 Laramadness 21 Jun 2016
In reply to northy1983:

Does that mean that down solos count as well? Bit confused, sorry!
 john arran 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Laramadness:

Yes, down solos count too, as long as they're different routes of course. It would get incredibly tedious getting down each time otherwise.

Remus: I reckon Bleausards could do 2000!
 Laramadness 21 Jun 2016
In reply to john arran:

OK, cheers John, that makes the whole endeavour a bit more comprehensible - still a massive effort!
 steveriley 21 Jun 2016
In reply to andi turner:

Chin, floor. Chapeau!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...