UKC

Recommended Sheffield based Climbing Clubs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyman666999 22 Jun 2016
Hi,
I am based in Sheffield having moved for work and the climbing 2 years ago. I am hoping that someone may be able to recommend me a climbing club.
I ask because, after an internet search and looking at the different sites, I met with one at Stanage last year, not naming names or anything. Going with the wife, I was pretty much told to just get on with climbing, pretty much no one spoke to us and everyone left to go for a curry and no one invited us along. Needless to say I was slightly surprised, maybe they didn't need the subscription fee.
I have met people down the climbing wall to head out with, this is slightly hit and miss. Many state that they are psyched but just don't seem to want to climb outside, or have other priorities such as going to the pub for the euros, which is fine, but makes me feel strung along and frustrated. Never thought I would live here and struggle to get a regular belay.
I like bouldering, trad and sport, not too much alpinism but I have recently done the black cuilin traverse. Being blessed where I live, I can do all three. If I was pushed I would say that I am a sport climber but am not too fussy. Would love to meet a bunch of people that I can share a laugh with and most importantly spend time outside climbing ! This is important now as my wife is pregnant and I can no longer afford the frequent let downs that previous attempts have caused!!
Cheers Andrew
In reply to andyman666999:

The Peak Climbing Club and Castle Climbing Club are both active. I've met members from each and they've all seemed sound, you regularly see them down the wall and at the crag too - plus BMC area meets.

Hope that's of help (and they aren't the club you tried before!).

Rob
OP andyman666999 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Thanks for the recommendation ! Cheers
 Becky E 22 Jun 2016
In reply to andyman666999:

The Peak are more climbing & bouldering focussed with a bit of walking, biking and other bits on the side (e.g. bad weather). The Castle offer a wider variety of activities. Depends what flavour you're after. There are even a couple of people who are in both!

Really hope we weren't the unfriendly lot last year: if we were then you caught us on a bad day, and many apologies. Please do get in touch and give us (another) go.

Becky (Peak CC)
www.peakclimbingclub.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...