UKC

White Slab lasso

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 23 Jun 2016
I have some friends up on Cloggy today - off to do White Slab. It got me thinking of the lasso move from many years ago. My climbing partner got it spot on, first go, and of course it was all a bit easier for me anyway, seconding.

Do people still do the lasso?

Or has better gear made it all respectable without shouting Yee-haa!

Dave Garnett 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

I once spent about an hour trying to work out what the hell I was supposed to lassoo. Eventually I just traversed right without it. And then back again as it started to rain.

I wear contact lenses now.
 The Grist 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

My mate was leading that pitch. He said it looked tiny and would be impossible to lasso. He then threw a loop of rope and got it first go. He almost fell off with surprise. He was then too scared to trust it so led the pitch clean anyway. I do not think there is any gear to protect it.
 Pedro50 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

I missed with my first throw. Then a climber appeared up WBE, so further casting would have endangered him. He caught the rope and draped it for me. This was in 1976. Do I need to go back and redpoint it?
 GridNorth 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
BETA ALERT: The trick is to throw a bundle of loops. I've done it both ways and IMO the route has more interest and character if you lasso the spike. Possibly could be better described as a nubbin

Al
Post edited at 13:03
OP Babika 23 Jun 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

Yes, nubbin from my recollection as well.
Heavily disguised as part of the rock face from a few metres away
 ebdon 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
I you cant get the Lasso / want to do it normally there are some sneaky cams by your feet half way for pro. My mate who lead this pitch spent about 15 minutes trying the lasso in vein - its not a big spike!
 John2 23 Jun 2016
In reply to ebdon:

It took me 6 or 7 goes, but I agree it's part of the route - you haven't had the Hard Rock experience without the lasso.
 Rick Graham 23 Jun 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

Grids right.

Throw a bundle of rope into the groove above the spike and when it trickles down over the spike its 50/50 if the rope loops around it.

Even if you can free the traverse, try the throw first, flick it off before you scamper across.

You need to know if you are a first time cowboy.
 John2 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

What's the quote in Hard Rock? Something like, 'The fortunate get it first time, the doomed never'.
 Misha 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:
We couldn't figure out what we were meant to lasso, even after we had climbed the pitch!
 Alex Winter 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

From what I remember, the spike's about the size of a cumberland sausage. Worth lassoing -- even if you do it free -- as you can make the move across on a top rope.
 Robert Durran 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

I and my partner spent ages trying to lasso it, decided going diagonally up without it was too scary and ended up traversing a bit lower no problem. Turned out we had been trying to lasso something which wasn't even a spike at all.
 john arran 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Alex Winter:

That's what I remember doing some decades ago, although it took an embarrassingly long time to lasso it and while climbing there was so much friction I had to stop mid-crux to pull it through. On the plus side it was probably a fairly early free ascent.
 philhilo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Misha:

I remember - I think it was a case of climb across slab without to much ado to try and find the 'spike' - never did and carried on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...