UKC

Voting ages

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Interesting.

HOW AGES VOTED
(YouGov poll)
18-24: 75% Remain
25-49: 56% Remain
50-64: 44% Remain
65+: 39% Remain

steve taylor 24 Jun 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Well done you old ba$tards - you've fecked it up for your kids and grandkids.

How depressing.

ianstevens 24 Jun 2016

Shock news: baby boomers f*ck it up for younger generations again.
 toad 24 Jun 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: the old, the poor and the poorly educated. Says something about society. I don't know what, though

KevinD 24 Jun 2016
In reply to toad:

> the old, the poor and the poorly educated. Says something about society. I don't know what, though

The sad thing is, aside from maybe the old, the others are unlikely to be helped by this decision. Can see why people are pissed off its just that following the elites who want out is unlikely to help.
 rogerwebb 24 Jun 2016

What percentage of each showed up to vote?
 Trevers 24 Jun 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> The sad thing is, aside from maybe the old, the others are unlikely to be helped by this decision. Can see why people are pissed off its just that following the elites who want out is unlikely to help.

The con of the century is how I see it. I sense that a lot of legitimate anger that was directed falsely towards a scapegoated EU will resurface over the next few years.
 Fraser 24 Jun 2016

It would be interesting to see the equivalent turn-out figures for the same age bands. And possibly just as depressing.
KevinD 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Trevers:

> I sense that a lot of legitimate anger that was directed falsely towards a scapegoated EU will resurface over the next few years.

Yes especially for anyone who believed the bollocks about it protecting us from TTIP etc.
J1234 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> It would be interesting to see the equivalent turn-out figures for the same age bands. And possibly just as depressing.

Very upset my 19 year old son did not vote. I tried to engage with him about it. Wednesday night he was down the park kicking a ball around with his mates, "chilling".
 wercat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

You ageist barsteward!

I'm 60 and I voted to stay. People who wanted to remain should stick together and not make stupid divisive comments. Having voted in in 74 and been glad to be in the EU ever since I think you owe some of us "old" people an apology.
 arch 24 Jun 2016

You can't put an old head on young shoulders..................
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016

Interesting that the EU issue has generally been talked about over the years as a Tory issue yet some of the biggest leave votes were Labour heartlands.
 wercat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

particularly "Asunder-land"
 l21bjd 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

In the short term at least, I'd have thought we're likely to have a PM and cabinet more right wing than Cameron?
 ianstevens 24 Jun 2016
In reply to wercat:

Exceptions to averages and all that. Nothing aimed at you personally (so apologies if you took offence), and your generation left the world in a great position with potential to continue improvement. However, over the last 10 years, most decisions have been aimed to benefit the over 50s rather than the young.
 wercat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

If you qualify that by saying benefitting the already well off over 50s I'd agree. Many things have actually hurt us very badly over the past ten years but I suppose I'm not a typical over 50, over 60 now!
 neuromancer 24 Jun 2016

If you look at the statistics the age vote is very statistically insignificant.

Much more significant is average household wages.

Poor people voted out, rich people voted in (much more clearly than young / old).
 GarethSL 24 Jun 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

> Poor people voted out, rich people voted in (much more clearly than young / old).

I thought that was quite nicely illustrated by the maps on the BBC for areas with a majority remain vote. Mostly areas along the M4 corridor to London. Ya know, all those pretty little villages with horrifically expensive houses.
 sbc_10 24 Jun 2016

75 % of the pupils in my Year 8 ( 13 y.o) Science class would have voted to leave if they could.........
 mountainbagger 24 Jun 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

> 75 % of the pupils in my Year 8 ( 13 y.o) Science class would have voted to leave if they could.........

Yes, but give it a couple of years and they'll soon be rebelling against their parents.

Trangia 24 Jun 2016
In reply to steve taylor:

> Well done you old ba$tards - you've fecked it up for your kids and grandkids.

> How depressing.

As I said on the other thread. Don't generalise and tar all of us pensioners with the same brush. I voted Remain and am shocked and gutted at the result
 cander 24 Jun 2016
In reply to steve taylor:
That's ok we'll all die and let you lot take over to continue f*cking it up - youth they're so impatient!
 sbc_10 24 Jun 2016
In reply to mountainbagger:

True.... it was quite scary to hear such commitment from ones so young without them having any real life experiences to back it up. Political dogma spooled from the social media .
 johncook 24 Jun 2016

These figures are from a yougov poll and we know how accurate they are!
Lusk 24 Jun 2016

> Interesting.
> HOW AGES VOTED
> (YouGov poll)
> 18-24: 75% Remain
> 25-49: 56% Remain
> 50-64: 44% Remain
> 65+: 39% Remain

Ah, stats!

Heard on the radio earlier some pundit saying only 43% of <24 voted.
A quick search reveals ...
"It is a matter of fact that the older you are, the more likely you are to make the effort to vote - 78% of those 65 or over voted in the 2015 election, compared with 43% of 18-24 year olds and 54% of 25-34 year olds."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36574526

A year out of date, but if similar this time around ...

If you can't be arsed to get out and vote, you can't complain.
 mountainbagger 24 Jun 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

> True.... it was quite scary to hear such commitment from ones so young without them having any real life experiences to back it up. Political dogma spooled from the social media .

Yes, probably. My 4 year old son said "Remain" when asked, but I think he thought I meant EuroDisney!
 Pete Pozman 24 Jun 2016

My daughter just rang me from Glastonbury. Apparently the mood is a bit subdued down there.
They'll be feeling better by about 6:00pm I should think. Quite right too.
I'm 64 and was one of the 44% so don't blame me please. I'm also an example of a "traitor" according to one of the 56%, so I've suffered for being a Remainer too.
Time to get drunk soon I think.
 steve taylor 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I'm almost 52. I was simply commenting on the statistics and age demographic. Clearly some of the older generations voted to stay in, but a significant majority didn't. My comment was aimed at those who voted out. I meant no offense to those who voted in whatsoever, and I'd have hoped that would have been inferred by anyone who read my comment.

I didn't vote - I'm living abroad and my "vote in" proxy vote request failed. No idea why. My wife's also failed - also no idea why.

In reply to Pete Pozman:

Did she and her friends vote?
 Pete Pozman 24 Jun 2016

Yes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...