UKC

Cameron announces he'll go by October.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 24 Jun 2016

Says he's not the right person to renegotiate.
KevinD 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
please god not boris.

i will think about renouncing atheism.
Post edited at 08:28
In reply to Postmanpat:

Inevitable

But who is?
In reply to KevinD:

> please god not boris.

> i will think about renouncing atheism.

Or Gove? Holy f*ck, can you imagine.
KevinD 24 Jun 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Or Gove? Holy f*ck, can you imagine.

Whilst I aint a fan of Gove at least he has some positives. Boris on the other hand....

Most significant bit of that speech is Cameron wont be triggering article 50. Thats for the new PM. So booting it down the line slightly.
 RyanOsborne 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Worst prime minister in history? Put party politics first, led the UK into the inevitable break up of two unions, probably caused a huge economic disaster for the UK, and left the nation feeling more divided and bitter than when he took office.
 kingjam 24 Jun 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

i think the vote proved UK is divided anyway. Its a shame we had to vote to leave something to truly understand that . The question is does any of this really address why the north east and london are so polarised , i think it doesnt .
 MG 24 Jun 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> please god not boris.

It's worse than that: Boris vs Corbyn at the next election, with the possibility of Trump and Le Pen in the background.

Is the West giving up?
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Worst prime minister in history? Put party politics first, led the UK into the inevitable break up of two unions, probably caused a huge economic disaster for the UK, and left the nation feeling more divided and bitter than when he took office.

I wonder if he'll feel bad whilst pruning his roses during his next few months of garden leave.
In reply to kingjam:

> The question is does any of this really address why the north east and london are so polarised , i think it doesnt .

Does anyone actually think Johnson, Gove or, for that matter, Farage give a flying **** about the north east?

The sad thing is nothing will change for the better for them.
 Big Ger 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Very dignified speech I though.
 dread-i 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
>Says he's not the right person to renegotiate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole idea was to go back to Europe with a bigger stick to aid in negotiating?
I expect if borris or gove got in, the negotiations would go something like "bye, then".

Cameron played it like the fool he is. The back benchers won. The lurch to the right can go unchallenged by the tory party. Borris and Trump, a winning combo.

winhill 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

If only Corbyn would follow suit.
 john arran 24 Jun 2016
In reply to dread-i:

You don't really believe Boris wanted to leave, do you? I thought it was obvious he was just doing it for personal political gain.
 MG 24 Jun 2016
In reply to winhill:

Yes, he didn't even try.
 dread-i 24 Jun 2016
In reply to john arran:

I think his colours have been nailed to the mast for him now. He will have to stand as an arch eurosceptic or loose support from 52% of the voters.

He might not believe 100% in brit exit, but he would bumble and mumble about 'the will of the people'.
OP Postmanpat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to winhill:

> If only Corbyn would follow suit.

He may find things fall his way. Brexit won't suddenly solve the issues of the alienated classes so who do they vote for?
 RyanOsborne 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Check out Postmanpat with his silver lining
Princess Bobina 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Cameron announces he'll go by October

Today is like the gift that keeps on giving.
 wilkie14c 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Princess Bobina:

"If I can't be georgie best I'm taking my ball home"
 elsewhere 24 Jun 2016
In reply to winhill:
> If only Corbyn would follow suit.

I like his politics but I detest his ineffectiveness.

Looks like labour party will be voting on Corbyn next week.
 LastBoyScout 24 Jun 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

Pretty much what my Mum said - he's behaved like a spoilt little brat that didn't get his own way and has flounced off.
KevinD 24 Jun 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

> Looks like labour party will be voting on Corbyn next week.

party or MPs? Problem for Labour is there is a serious split between the two.
 RomTheBear 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
> He may find things fall his way. Brexit won't suddenly solve the issues of the alienated classes so who do they vote for?

Nigel. Or worse.
Post edited at 14:25
 Yanis Nayu 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Very dignified speech I though.

That's the main thing.
 fred99 27 Jun 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

How on earth do you expect Cameron to negotiate for something he didn't want.

Surely it is only right and proper that those persons who wanted out should negotiate the terms for out and beyond.

Or do you honestly think that, having achieved brexit, Johnson, Farage et al should be able to put their feet up and hand the mess to someone else to clear up.
 Cheese Monkey 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
DC-
'Why should I do the hard shit?'

Fair one imo
 Ramblin dave 27 Jun 2016
In reply to fred99:

Agree. In climbing terms, DC has been arguing for getting on the solid, well protected HVS 5b while Boris and Gove have been talking up how amazing the big loose scary E3 would be. And under the circumstances I don't think it's unreasonable for Cameron to turn round and say "okay then, it's your lead."
 Yanis Nayu 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

I think he did exactly the right thing.
 LastBoyScout 27 Jun 2016
In reply to fred99:

> How on earth do you expect Cameron to negotiate for something he didn't want.

> Surely it is only right and proper that those persons who wanted out should negotiate the terms for out and beyond.

> Or do you honestly think that, having achieved brexit, Johnson, Farage et al should be able to put their feet up and hand the mess to someone else to clear up.

Excuse me? I quoted someone else as an alternative way of stating another poster's view. Neither were my view.

Of course it's not Cameron's job to negotiate the exit - partly because he didn't want it and partly because, arguably, he isn't that good at negotiating with the EU anyway.

The question now seems to be whether anyone who who campaigned for Brexit would be able to get elected to the position of being able to trigger Article 50 - BoJo doesn't currently seem likely to be able to just waltz in and get cracking, no-one seems to have seen Gove, IDS doesn't have the backing and it certainly won't be Farage, for starters.

Even assuming any of them did get that far, would they even actually do it?
 fred99 27 Jun 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

My apologies if you were quoting rather than reiterating.

As for being able to get elected - they should be damn well forced to take over and clean up the mess they've made.
If it all comes up smelling of roses, then they can take the plaudits.
If it comes up smelling of rose manure, then hopefully the same people who voted with them can deal with them when their giros bounce.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...