UKC

Two Post Brexit Curve Balls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 24 Jun 2016
Here's one I didn't see coming:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36618796

Didn't take Spain long to spot that one.

And another that I haven't seen mentioned yet is EdF and Hinckley Point. What do you suppose the probability of that going ahead is now? Better start getting in those candles...
 Cú Chullain 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Well with regards to Hinkley Point I thought that was thrown into doubt yesterday when it was discovered that the steel proposed to be used in the reactor has too high a carbon content that could lead to cracking, a small error that is adding millions to the build cost.
Lusk 24 Jun 2016

Why would a French company pull out of a multi billion Euro construction project with a non EU country?
 Trangia 24 Jun 2016
> Here's one I didn't see coming:

> Didn't take Spain long to spot that one.

>

Funnily enough that was one of the first things that I thought of when I heard the result. Maybe Brexit Britain will have to invest in some more Gun Boats?
Post edited at 14:19
 Ridge 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Maybe Brexit britain will be pragmatic and negotiate. It seems to be what the island wants.
 mav 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Ridge:

It's not actually an island. and the people who live there don't want to be Spanish, or negotiation.
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jun 2016

Somebody said it would limit football teams to 2 foreigners. Is that right?
 wercat 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

they'll be needed when UK start breaking up and a new Galtieri arises in the S Atlantic.
KevinD 24 Jun 2016

It had popped up before the referendum although hadnt got much press. Its why the vote was so pro remain there.

elsewhere 24 Jun 2016
Sinn Fein calls for a referendum on Irish reunification.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3657960/Sinn-Fein-calls-referendum-...

Jim C 24 Jun 2016
> And another that I haven't seen mentioned yet is EdF and Hinckley Point. What do you suppose the probability of that going ahead is now? Better start getting in those candles...

Unlikely , but not because of the Brexit, because it is not a good business decision for them, as it is too risky with 4 EPR being built and in trouble, they would be mad to take on another one just now. They need to catch up on the design ( which us not finished) and complete and commission at least one station ( probably Flamanville )

'Construction on a new reactor, Flamanville 3, began on 4 December 2007.The new unit is an Areva European Pressurized Reactor type.
EDF has previously said France's first EPR would cost £3.3 billionand start commercial operations in 2012, but by 2012 EDF announced that the estimated costs have escalated to £8.5 billion ($11 billion), and the completion of construction is delayed to 2016.
TheItalian power company Enel announced it was relinquishing its 12.5% stake in the project, and 5 future EPRs, so would be reimbursed its project stake of £613 million plus interest In2014 EDF announced that completion of construction was delayed to 2017 due to delays in component delivery by Areva.
In April 2015 Areva informed the French nuclear regulator, Autorit£ de s£ret£ nucl£aire (ASN), that anomalies had been detected in the reactor vessel steel, causing "lower than expected mechanical toughness values". In June 2015 multiple faults in cooling system safety valves were discovered by ASN. In September 2015 EDF announced that the estimated costs had escalated to £10.5 billion, and the start-up of the reactor was delayed to the fourth quarter of 2018.'

Brexit is of no real consequence with all these problems , but yes I have my camping gear at the ready.
Post edited at 20:01
Jim C 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Why would a French company pull out of a multi billion Euro construction project with a non EU country?

There are reasons, see above.
Jim C 24 Jun 2016

> Didn't take Spain long to spot that one.

It has been 'British' since 1713, It was ceded to Britain "in perpetuity" under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, why would Spain have any more or less of a claim now that the UK is coming out of the EU?

An Irish subcontractor who does a lot of business with our company building wind farm bases was about to be awarded 2 major projects - each having 30 turbines - in Scotland and Wales. The client is a Spanish owned company. Today they were informed that the projects had been shelved until the markets settle down.

As for Hinkley - lord knows when that's going to start. The contractors ( who have had a presence on site for getting on for th e best part of 2 years doing preliminary work like basic site clearance and fencing) are still waiting for the actual go ahead to start building the sea wall that protects the site - and which needs to be in place before the major construction work gets under way!

I can see the tearing up of EU environmental directives by a Tory / Ukip coalition and some relatively cheap coal and oil and gas fired power plants being built to take up the shortfall in generating capacity -- not to mention an unseemly dash to tap the shale gas reserves - which are conveniently situated in the North - a long way away from Tory heartlands.

I've been around for too long not to be cynical about politicians real motives.
In reply to Lusk:

> Why would a French company pull out of a multi billion Euro construction project with a non EU country?

Payback for Agincourt and Waterloo?

I bet precious few UK construction companies have ever won contracts in France, or British companies allowed to invest in French infrastructure projects.
 wbo 24 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim C:
Becaiuse they want it back, and view it as an anacronism. The likelihood now is that life will be very difficult for those in Gibralter. Most people work over the border and , in the past, when Spain is vexed about something , they slap border controls on for a few weeks. A couple of hours queueing each way to work focuses the mind a bit Now they can go for it deluxe, and add in new challenges with payment, taxation and so on,

Very obvious this was coming , and was reported a few times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...