UKC

Cameron and Corbyn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Coel Hellier 25 Jun 2016
(Sorry for yet another Brexit thread, but this seemed interesting.)

"Remain campaign operatives floated a plan to convince Corbyn to make a public gesture of cross-party unity by appearing in public with the prime minister. Polling showed this would be the “number one” play to reach Labour voters. Senior staff from the campaign “begged” Corbyn to do a rally with the prime minister, according to a senior source who was close to the Remain campaign. Corbyn wanted nothing to do with the Tory leader, no matter what was at stake. Gordon Brown, the Labour prime minister whom Cameron vanquished in 2010, was sent to plead with Corbyn to change his mind. Corbyn wouldn’t."

http://www.politico.eu/article/how-david-cameron-lost-brexit-eu-referendum-...
m0unt41n 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Coel Hellier:

EU referendum: Corbyn tells activists 'I did all I could'

Which accurately sums him up.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Jun 2016

I have no time for him.
 wbo 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Coel Hellier: both put party position before country.

But Cameron's sin is greater.

Clauso 25 Jun 2016

The writing's on the wall for him now. He's demonstrated that he really isn't fit to be leader.
 Phil1919 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

So who would you prefer as leader.
 FactorXXX 25 Jun 2016
In reply to wbo:

both put party position before country.

Doesn't the supplied link suggest that Cameron was willing to engage in cross party engagements, but that Corbyn wasn't?
pasbury 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

That is a very good question, and like all good questions it doesn't have an obvious answer.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

Alan Johnson or Andy Burnham spring most readily to mind.
 Andy Hardy 25 Jun 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

> So who would you prefer as leader.

Me. If you can do addses and take aways you can be Chancellor. Deal?
KevinD 25 Jun 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Doesn't the supplied link suggest that Cameron was willing to engage in cross party engagements, but that Corbyn wasn't?

Cameron was the one who went for the referendum for personal political gain.
I guess Corbyn had several problems with it.
First is his vision for Europe is rather different than Camerons. So he would be concerned about appearing to support that vision.
Second he keeps getting blamed for the Scottish results. Which would probably makes him a tad wary. Not so much putting the party first as just not wanting it to go the way of the libdems.
Third he might not agree with the claims that it would boost the remain vote. Considering a reoccuring theme is sticking it to the elite I suspect he could easily have found contradictory information. Lets not forget that the polling information shows Labour supporters as considerably more pro EU than the tory supporters. Perhaps Cameron should have concentrated on them.
 Phil1919 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Ok. Johnson has made it clear he isn't interested. The labour old guard such as Andy Burnham just don't seem to cut it fr me. I would support Corbyn until someone better comes along. For me he has the best feel of a coherent big picture. But if he isn't mainstream enough then I guess events will take their course.
 MG 26 Jun 2016

Corbyn a pathetic leader who puts party purity above the country's interests. Hardly news.

We really are in a terrible state politically now - isolated, unstable with no effective leadership.
Gone for good 26 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> We really are in a terrible state politically now - isolated, unstable with no effective leadership.

+1. It's a shocking state of affairs.

Trevers 26 Jun 2016
In reply to KevinD:

I have to agree with you on this. Reading the OP, it seemed utterly bizarre to me that Leavers would be convinced by Corbyn standing next to Cameron. It seems entirely plausible that he also thought so. Having witnessed the annihilation of Labour in Scotland caused by Miliband sharing a platform with Cameron, why would he risk the same in England?

I've not been impressed with Corbyn, but ultimately responsibility lies with Cameron, Gove and Johnson.

I voted Corbyn, but I think right now this country needs a centre left alliance. Angela Eagle perhaps?
 Cú Chullain 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Gone for good: e

Vote for me, I will a benevolent dictator.

MonkeyPuzzle 26 Jun 2016

Corby said he was a '7 out of 10' on EU membership, so how could he really share a platform with a man who was promising the sun would explode if we voted out?
 Dauphin 26 Jun 2016

Really don't think it would of made any difference to the result here on UKcucking.

D
 elsewhere 26 Jun 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
He failed to communicate that 7 out of 10 or any other views with the passion and charisma required of a leader. He should go.
 Greenbanks 26 Jun 2016
In reply to MG:

> We really are in a terrible state politically now - isolated, unstable with no effective leadership<

Shades of the '30s in Germany then

Dauphin 26 Jun 2016

The conservative party is going to tear itself over the next few months. If Corbyn survives the weekend, Chilcott in a fortnight is going to exonerate him. He might be the new messiah come October.

D
 john arran 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> Cameron comes out and says what he thinks.

Unfortunately one of the poorest Mashes I've seen for a long time.
 john arran 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> In the meantime Corbyn is in denial.

That's better!
Donald82 26 Jun 2016

Blame Corbyn!? Christ.
KevinD 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

> The conservative party is going to tear itself over the next few months. If Corbyn survives the weekend, Chilcott in a fortnight is going to exonerate him.

Its good to see Blair being highly visible to try and make himself look good prior to that. Despite what he is saying I suspect the results are actually good for him. Might keep him in the background. Although on the other hand it might get hyped to try and hide the EU mess.
 malk 26 Jun 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

> EU referendum: Corbyn tells activists 'I did all I could'

> Which accurately sums him up.

for balance, Cameron asks aides: 'Why should I have to do the hard shit for someone else, just to hand it over to them on a plate?'
Lusk 26 Jun 2016
In reply to malk:

I thought that was the whole reason for wanting power, one gets fat off lesser mortals' hard work!
Donald82 26 Jun 2016

P's two thirds of labour voters voted remain. Maybe he actually persuaded people with an honest argument
 wbo 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Coel Hellier: I've defended Corbyn in the past as he provided an alternate point of view to anything seen for a long time, and to be blunt it should be 3+ years to any election. Sadly that's not the case and he has proven himself useless, and should go. More useless than expected.

But yes Cameron's sin is greater - this entire referendum was unnecessary , and arose simply to appease an internal Conservative faction. Cameron's legacy will be the fool who led the uk out of Europe and provoked the breakup of the U.K.

Who's going to stand up and show leadership? Who's going to lead negotiations?

neilh 26 Jun 2016
In reply to wbo:

Even as a remainer I can see that Cameron was right to call a referendum .

The exit vote came from traditional labour areas away from the London elite. It indicates a fundamental north south divide .if labour areas believed in Corbyn etc they would have voted to stay in. Corbyn is not the person to sort this out .
 Aly 26 Jun 2016
I am really disappointed, and to be honest, more than a little bemused at the emotion that Corbyn seem to evoke in some people. Presumably these people are taking on board the rhetoric from the right of labour party, who clearly dislike him, and see him as a soft target who can be toppled as they make an undignified scramble for the top of the party. It's a shame that politics seems to be about this.

Why should Corbyn have campaigned with Cameron? Sure, he could have done it, blown smoke up Dave's arse all day long, knowing that if Remain won Cameron would be the first to shove it back in face claiming that he had saved the day. Corbyn clearly has reservations about the EU, I don't necessarily agree with him on that but I'd far rather he kept some integrity and be honest about his situation. He backed the remain campaign, avoided the ridiculous apocalyptic prophecies that plagued the campaign and ultimately confused and frustrated voters leading to the leave vote. Cameron pushed us to this referendum as part of some inexplicable power gamble, and it was him that failed to convince conservative voters (and it was Tory voters at 58% leave, not Labour voters at 37% leave) who ultimately decided the result.

And now again, we hear that he is not fit to be a leader. What does that even mean? I agree that he doesn't wear a navy suit, regurgitate meaningless soundbites, or try to make us think he has a massive d*ck like the rest of them do. But I feel like he represents me and my values. He convinced me to join a political party, something which no other politician has, or probably ever will, convince me to do. I'd follow him. Does that make him a leader?

And now I'm thinking back to all the other things which make him 'unfit' to be a leader. Oh yes, he couldn't envisage a situation where he would want to invoke nuclear armageddon. Considering he has been vocally against nuclear armament, did anyone actually want him to say he would start a nuclear war when it would have blindingly obvious that he was lying through his teeth to say whatever people wanted to hear, rather than being honest? I guess maybe that is politics.

And that trying to open dialogue with Hamas, or Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness is evidence of treachery and an inability to lead. Do people really think that whatever you do or don't view as terrorism, and however much you hate it, the way to resolve problems is with a lack of dialogue and political compromise? I wish people would understand that no matter how bad you think the actions are of a 'terrorist' group which manages to gain huge local support and drive people to violence, whatever was being done to them irrespective of the name of the state which sanctioned it, was probably also pretty f*cking bad.

I'm sure I could go on but that's more than enough of a rant for one day. I hope he stays.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...