UKC

Not all Brexits are racist xenophobes..but look at this :-(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 26 Jun 2016

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-eu-referendum-racial-...

There's more of the same on the Channel 4 facebook feed too, and a collection of tweets in a same vein going around, too.

Whatever reasonable and logical and well thought through reasons the Brexiters of UKC no doubt have, it looks like Brexit has indeed been an expression of darker sentiments, too.

It reminds me of the need for Rock Against Racism and similar in past decades, and makes me think of history being somewhat circular in nature.
 Neil R 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Not especially unexpected when you have a campaign led by UKIP, largely based on immigration, and congratulations on winning are received from Donald Trump, Marine Le Pen, Golden Dawn and the Northern League.
 gribble 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

It makes me feel sick. Unbelievable. I didn't put a 'remain' poster in my house window during the campaign, but I do want to make a poster along the lines of 'I'm sorry about the result' up.

Yanis Nayu 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Profoundly sad but not altogether unexpected. Reminds me of when Putin enacted the gay propaganda law - it gave the homophobes a sense of legitimacy. The racists and xenophobes appear to feel the same here and now. I've got Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian and Irish friends facing uncertain futures and I'm going to make a point of getting to see them all this week to show a bit of support.
OP Timmd 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Neil R:
It's bloody depressing :-/

I guess it might just apply to me, but I sometimes think one can tend to forget people can be so dunder headed like that, if they've not been encountered for a while
Post edited at 19:58
 Neil R 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

My wife reminded me of my comments after serving jury duty - if the jurors are representative of the great British public then I would rather not leave my fate to trial by jury.
OP Timmd 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
> Profoundly sad but not altogether unexpected. Reminds me of when Putin enacted the gay propaganda law - it gave the homophobes a sense of legitimacy. The racists and xenophobes appear to feel the same here and now. I've got Polish, Lithuanian, Latvian and Irish friends facing uncertain futures and I'm going to make a point of getting to see them all this week to show a bit of support.

Yes, it did exactly that about legitimising homophobia, and attacks on gays and lesbians. It's hard not to see some people who voted Brexit out of a sense of anger at immigration/otherness/Muslims etc not going on to expressing some of it in person too.
Post edited at 20:26
 DerwentDiluted 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I wonder what the war veterans, alive and dead, who liberated Belsen, and watched in awe as the Polish troops took Monte Cassino and parachuted into Arnhem knowing full well they were jumping into a lost battle, would make of this.
OP Timmd 26 Jun 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
I'm thinking that they might be thinking this isn't what they fought for, the Polish fighter pilots fought very tenaciously too. I've read that some of them would follow the bailed our German airmen and kill them as they floated down, but they'd lost families and experienced deep suffering when Poland was invaded.

Fast forward to now, and immigrants or 'different' people (born in the UK) are being abused and told to leave the country.
Post edited at 21:07
 Yanis Nayu 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Was it UKIP that used a picture of a spitfire in one of their nationalist posters, without realising it was from a Polish squadron...
OP Timmd 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
I think it was the BNP, I 90% think it was.
Post edited at 21:05
 Yanis Nayu 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> I think it was the BNP, I 90% think it was.

You're right, I just googled it.
OP Timmd 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

A comprehensive list of post Brexit racism. We need to push back against this kind of shit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-referendum-racism_uk_576fe161e4b08...
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I did hear somewhere once that Polish squadrons were given preference when Spitfires were allocated because they were much more aggressive than the British and Commonwealth pilots, who were given mainly Hurricanes. I could be wrong on this though.

303 Polish squadron were equipped with Hurricanes not Spitfires, but had the distinction of being the Squadron in the Battle of Britain with the highest number of enemy kills, including 15 in one day. Made more impressive as they were operational for 2 months less than most other squadrons.
OP Timmd 26 Jun 2016
I vaguely find myself thinking that not giving 'our chaps' the Spitfires and to pilots from other countries instead, is possibly hard to imagine happening in Britain at the time.

I hate how in that video in my link in the OP, an Asian guy after being told to go home/leave is then told to speak properly/proper English after saying how he was born here.

It's complete racism and prejudice on display. I hope my (UK born) half Indian friend from childhood doesn't get any crap to deal with. Known him since I was 3 and he's as British as anybody.
Post edited at 22:46
OP Timmd 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:
> I hate how in that video in my link in the OP, an Asian guy after being told to go home/leave is then told to speak properly/proper English after saying how he was born here.

> It's complete racism and prejudice on display. I hope my (UK born) half Indian friend from childhood doesn't get any crap to deal with. Known him since I was 3 and he's as British as anybody.

He is speaking English, but just with an accent, as hard/easy to understand as regional accents can be to some peeps imho....

Peace folks
Post edited at 10:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...