UKC

New canon SLR body - recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BedRock 27 Jun 2016
My EOS 500D has died a sad death, so am looking for a new replacement body. I'd like to stick with a canon but not really sure which model to go for.

I'm looking at spending around £600 and am tempted by the EOS 7D. I mainly use a 18-200 lens and interests range from landscapes and climbing shots to portraits and dog agility(!!)

Any thoughts/pointers etc? Pretty sure I want an SLR and not a high range compact, however I could be persuaded with good arguments!

Thanks!
 Russell Lovett 27 Jun 2016
In reply to BedRock:
Get yourself a second hand 5d. Great camaras pro build metal body not plastic, full frame, much better for landscapes. You can still use your canon lenses. Also don't worry about condition as these cameras cost so much new that they will probably been very well looked after. Take a look at my ukc gallery nearly every should was taken with a 5d mark 1 and I would think the newer models would be even better.
Post edited at 17:41
Removed User 27 Jun 2016
In reply to BedRock:

If you have EF lenses then a 2nd hand 5D2 or if you stretch your budget a 2nd hand 6D would be my recommendation.

If you have EF-S lenses then the 7D got terrific reviews until the 7D2 came out. Nicholas Livesey of this parish has put one to very good use.

However, if I was starting from scratch and was content with aps-c sensor size I'd go mirrorless. You could get a Fuji XE2 plus a lens on that budget (2nd hand) or maybe an XT10.

It's worth a trawl round the dp review, fred miranda and photo.net forums.

OP BedRock 28 Jun 2016
In reply to BedRock:

Thanks for the suggestions, currently use an EF-S lens which seems to be limiting options.
In reply to BedRock:
Can't go wrong with a 7d. Rock solid build and super, super fast.
 Big Ger 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Russell Lovett:

> . Also don't worry about condition as these cameras cost so much new that they will probably been very well looked after.

I disagree, my 5D III has had a right hammering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...