UKC

Terry's Chocolate Orange down in weight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 27 Jun 2016
I just bought a Terry's choccy orange for £1 from Tesco - part of the weight reduction plan

The segments have one side hollowed out - that's different I think, so I look at the box and see it weighs 157g. I thought it was 175g, not 157. So I do a quick search on the interweb and I'm right. The sneaky buggers have reduced the weight of Terry's choccy orange from 175g to 157g.

Gutted
 ThunderCat 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

Can I ask...have you kept it at room temperature?
 Ridge 27 Jun 2016

I blame Nigel Farage or the EU.
 Yanis Nayu 27 Jun 2016

You've effectively just lost weight while getting one of your five a day. Win win.
 DerwentDiluted 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Ridge:
Famously they moved their manufacturing from York to Poland a few years back, I think they are sabotaging our confectionary. Does the foil make a nice hat?
Post edited at 20:09
 Ridge 27 Jun 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

I like the hat so much I bought shares in Bacofoil. It's the only growth industry we're likely to have in the near future.
Removed User 27 Jun 2016

Obviously this a crisis!
 Toby_W 27 Jun 2016
This should not be allowed, have you noticed blocks of cheese used to be 400g are now 350g and Pringles weights go up and down with the offers. It's just downright cheeky.

Cheers

Toby

BusyLizzie 27 Jun 2016
This is terrible news, and is worse for coming at a bad time.
Lusk 27 Jun 2016

http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/15/are-they-shrinking-our-favourite-chocolate-ba...

I don't believe those figures for Mars bars, they're tiny these days.
abseil 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Toby_W:

> This should not be allowed, have you noticed blocks of cheese used to be 400g are now 350g....

Applies to lots of products. I just bought a jar of honey, thought it was a pound and it was 340 gms., more fool me I know but this is getting increasingly common.
 Dax H 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Lusk:

It's the same with cream eggs, as a kid iIused to eat mine with a spoon like a real egg. No way a spoon would fit now.
 deacondeacon 27 Jun 2016

> The segments have one side hollowed out -
So do you not get the central segment either?
In our house we call it the 'nut'.

shaymarriott 28 Jun 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

That's the most important bit.

Bl00dy shrinkflation isn't it.
 ablackett 28 Jun 2016

Magnums have now all got smaller also, but not by the same amount. If you go for the posh double caramel one it's about the size of my thumb.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/22/unilever-shrink-magnum-cor...
Rigid Raider 28 Jun 2016

Some Swiss chesse makers are even selling their cheese with holes it it. Disgraceful.
 malk 28 Jun 2016

'The current Guiness World Record holder for the fastest time to eat a Terry's Chocolate Orange, Adrian Blake, has said that the decision to shrink the chocolate orange would not only harm the experience of enjoying the product, but also make future challenges to his achievement unfair.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry%27s_Chocolate_Orange#Changes_to_product...
Removed User 28 Jun 2016

Buy my chocolate at Lidl these days - it seems pretty good for the money. Cadbury's is small and crap since going to Kraft. They even tried to sell Hershey bars here in the UK, they're the pits of crap chocolate.
 Bob Hughes 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Some Swiss chesse makers are even selling their cheese with holes it it. Disgraceful.

that wouldn't be allowed if they were in the EU.

It is because the cost of Coca has risen dramticaly over the last five years and they don't want to spoil their proffits or raise the price of the product...
 Jimbo C 29 Jun 2016

Damn,

I did the same the other day (£1 from Tesco). I always find that it's compulsory to eat a chocolate orange in one sitting, so at least this means I'm less of a greedy guts than I thought I was.
Andy Gamisou 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Jimbo C:

> Damn,

> I did the same the other day (£1 from Tesco). I always find that it's compulsory to eat a chocolate orange in one sitting, so at least this means I'm less of a greedy guts than I thought I was.

One Christmas someone bought me a gift pack of 7 of these (old big size) and I'd scoffed the lot by the day after boxing day. And two boxes of chocolate liqueurs. Now THAT'S training.
Removed User 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Dax H:

As of last year their 6 pack are now 5 packs but in the same box. So my delicious eggs rattle around now like a loose nut placement because there's room for a 6th but they've taken it from us.
OP Michael Hood 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Jimbo C:

> I did the same the other day (£1 from Tesco). I always find that it's compulsory to eat a chocolate orange in one sitting, so at least this means I'm less of a greedy guts than I thought I was.

This also was my one consolation as I stuffed it all down
 Andy Say 29 Jun 2016

Bastards. They are just bastards. Terry's Chocolate Oranges have been a part of my family's rituals for years and years. They were always in the Christmas stocking and always a part of birthday celebrations. My boys - assimilating the tradition - even got me one for Fathers Day.

And its in the fridge and I've just checked it. 157g. Bastards. And its made by someone called 'Mondelez'.

Bastards.

I still want one this Christmas, mind.
 muppetfilter 29 Jun 2016

They sacked all the staff in York and moved production to Romania which also put British Sugar out of business , I have boycotted them ever since.
 BrendanO 29 Jun 2016
In reply to muppetfilter:

Well, Morrisons in Piershill, Edinburgh still has them at 175g!!
 aln 29 Jun 2016
In reply to BrendanO:
Scotland votes in. Chocolate Oranges are bigger here.
Post edited at 23:33
 Offwidth 30 Jun 2016
In reply to aln:

Deep fried CO, anyone?
 aln 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Well I'm Scottish so don't forget to batter them first.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...