UKC

Article 50 & the deal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 28 Jun 2016
Can't seem to find out if Article 50 is served is it reversable?

What happens if the deal we get is crap (highly likely) can we withdraw our leave notice.
 Scarab9 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

Not without all 27 other states agreeing. So no basically
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Scarab9:
It is a bit of a catch 22. We don't want to invoke Article 50 until we know what sort of deal we can expect; and the rest of the EU won't start to negotiate until we have.

Stalemate really.
Post edited at 08:36
 MG 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

I would guess like most things EU, its possible if everyone wants it.
 climbwhenready 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

The government took legal advice but I can't find the link now. Their understanding of international law is that it is reversible, up to the point where you actually leave, at which point it becomes irreversible.
OP Indy 28 Jun 2016
In reply to climbwhenready:

Yes, I thought I saw something to that effect..... what are the chances of a referendum on the deal? Surely there has to be one?
 Dave Garnett 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

Interesting report on Newsnight last night about the reaction in Brussels. Quite a lot of hostility from France and Belgium and from J-C Juncker personally and a clear impression that there would be no going back if Art 50 was invoked. The francophone contingent will jump at the chance to regain influence with the perceived dominance of the Anglo-German axis gone (who said nobody listened to us in the EU?). There's also a move to abandon English as an official language of the EU.

The statement on the Commission's website at the moment is pretty unambiguous:

"As agreed, the “New Settlement for the United Kingdom within the European Union”, reached at the European Council on 18-19 February 2016, will now not take effect and ceases to exist. There will be no renegotiation."

That said, Juncker isn't universally popular either and the Poles (ironically) are pushing for a reform pressure group within the EU. Germany is sitting on the fence, and not only because of the cars they sell us.
 John2 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:

A greater majority of the French electorate want out of the EU than the UK electorate. I can't see Hollande pushing for an in/out referendum, but if it did happen the result would be out.
 ScottTalbot 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:

Junker's already toned down his language towards the UK. Apparently we're "friends" again now.

It's all just posturing. They are politicians, trying to make sure THEY get the better end of any deal, thereby securing their own positions...
 Postmanpat 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> That said, Juncker isn't universally popular either and the Poles (ironically) are pushing for a reform pressure group within the EU. Germany is sitting on the fence, and not only because of the cars they sell us.

All totally predictable. The East Europeans are broadly "helpful" and the Germans are pragmatic. The Dutch and Scandanavians share many British misgivings so might quite like to see some sort of semidetached relationship. It's going to be the core Euroelite integrationists and the French who will try and make life difficult.Hopefully Merkel stays in power and insists on "pragmatism".
I think there is still an outside chance of formalising such a relationship and other countries opting for it.
Post edited at 10:47
OP Indy 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

But it only takes one country to veto any 'good deal' that the UK might get. Poland and Spain to name just two would love our car industry.
 Postmanpat 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:
> But it only takes one country to veto any 'good deal' that the UK might get. Poland and Spain to name just two would love our car industry.

Merkel holds the purse strings......

Actually it doesn't. 20 countries representing 65% of the population have to ratify it.
Post edited at 11:17
 Mike Stretford 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Merkel holds the purse strings......

And would be quite happy if the purse got fatter with the financial services profits currently made in London.
OP Indy 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Regardles, there is already a tremendous amount of resentment towards Germany and how well it has done out of the EU so I doubt other nations will sit around while Germany sorts out its own interests with the UK.
 Mike Stretford 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Indy:
Oh no I don't mean there'll be a cosy agreement between UK and Germany. I think the City's EU passport is an ace card the EU hold. Not only will our negotiators be desperate to keep hold of it but the EU will be quite happy for the businesses to go to Frankfurt, Paris and Dublin (or Edinburgh ). That one would unite, rather than divide the rest of Europe.

I don't want to be negative, but it is vital that we have a proper conversation in this country about what we can realistically expect from negotiations, before thy start. The referendum campaign was fantasy on the leave side. It looks like we have one last chance to avoid deep recessions for the UK, we need to get real.
Post edited at 12:01
 kipper12 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

There is a provision in Article 50 to allow exiting MS to return, provided they abide by Article 49. Article 49 basically says that you will promise to do as you are told. And of course, must be endorsed by the other MS. So, not at the moment, that's for sure, there is so much bad bloo.
Jim C 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> It is a bit of a catch 22. We don't want to invoke Article 50 until we know what sort of deal we can expect; and the rest of the EU won't start to negotiate until we have.

> Stalemate really.

The EU are suffering and have stated up front they want an early deal (which was their mistake) , we said we were in no hurry , and so relising the reality they changed it to say that they would not negotiate until we invoked article 50.

Arguably the longer the delay, the more the rest of the EU will suffer, and perhaps in some respect more than the UK, so we can offer them a quick deal, for a good deal.
In reply to RFWilkie:

> Here is the report

A right chuffing can of worms -- why on earth were the main conclusions not highlighted to the electorate during the campaign.

All this bullshit about 'Taking back control of our country' was a just a smokescreen so the right wing of the Tory Party could strengthen their grip on power.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...