UKC

Climbing in the modern era

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 29 Jun 2016
I keep thinking what a great time it must have been to be rock climbing in the 60s and before. So much unclimbed rock, so much adventure-absolutely the
unknown.

Just watched the Joe brown interview with george smith- Fantastic! Only 9 routes on cloggy when Mr brown started or something minimal. I mean, even the chossfest death routes have been climbed. The boldest of the bold, and the hardest of the hard.

What else is there in north wales that hasn't been climbed? Just asking out of interest. Do you have to be the modern day equivelant pioneer of brown etc to climb new rock?
 SenzuBean 29 Jun 2016
In reply to zimpara:
Thank you for making a decent topic..

Anyway, I was out in North Wales on the weekend, and was expecting my walk to be a bogfest - however was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be quite rocky, and I did see quite a few bits of clean rock. I'm sure there are plenty of other hills, with minor crags that people just haven't bothered to go and climb everything on. Anything with boggy walk-ins over 2-3 hours might have a few bits left.

For example, here's one crag that at least has missing routes on UKC (it only has 3 routes) (I've no idea whether there's more routes in some archaic comprehensive guidebook):
Pen Llithrig y Wrach (Crag)

Here's the current 3 routes as a topo: https://ukc2.com/i/266444.jpg
As you can see - plenty more to go at there.

Edit: If anyone is keen one weekend to go camping and try a few of these type of routes for the possibility of a meaningless FA - I'm game. I've got some good route names I've been thinking of...
Post edited at 11:57
 planetmarshall 29 Jun 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> What else is there in north wales that hasn't been climbed? Just asking out of interest. Do you have to be the modern day equivelant pioneer of brown etc to climb new rock?

There's loads - and loads more that has been climbed maybe once but never repeated, just don't expect it to find unclimbed rock 5 minutes from the road. The Meirionnydd guide is a good starting point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...